Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 11:02 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
One of the many reasons why I really like Costco is that, if you use their Visa card, you don't need a receipt for anything that you return. All they need to do is to scan your membership number and your entire sales history pops up on their screen.
Yes, they do take Visa credit cards other than their own Visa card, but if you use a different Visa card, or if you claim that you paid with cash, they do require a receipt for returns.

That is the difference between a well-run company and--apparently--Lowe's.
All stores with their own credit cards do this. Including Lowe’s. I don’t have a Costco credit card, but I have a target and a Kohl’s credit card and I don’t need to keep track of my receipts for either of them. Even my local supermarket, ShopRite. I used my price plus loyalty club card when I purchased a television set there, and all I needed for the warranty was my price plus card or my phone number. It’s a relief not to have to hold onto small pieces of paper LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 11:21 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Does it surprise you that anyone can walk into a Lowes grab some items off the shelf and than walk to customer service and say " I paid in cash for these and lost my receipt and would like to return them for store credit".

This is allowed! I never knew a store would take being railroaded like this. I know the customer is always right but lets get real. Is this being too kind to the customer. How many rip off artists are just doing this.

I just recently heard of this till recently.
This is not allowed. Read the return policy. You have to have actually purchased the item to return it.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:08 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Well, given that you have no indication whatsoever that this black person stole the items that he was returning and you want to accuse him of shoplifting, I think that there is a very good reason for him to claim that your action is racist.
Exactly...I'm white, but I'm so tired of assumptions. If she didn't see anything being stolen, then she shouldn't assume something was stolen, and mentioning the man's skin color was totally out of line.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:00 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Exactly...I'm white, but I'm so tired of assumptions. If she didn't see anything being stolen, then she shouldn't assume something was stolen, and mentioning the man's skin color was totally out of line.
Race question aside, most thefts aren't witnessed. If a tree falls in a forest it does make a noise.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:10 PM

8,764 posts, read 5,055,756 times
These type scams are all over. I know a grocery store chain, that will give you double your money back if you do not like a roast beef. Someone will buy a big roast, and eat what they want and say it was tough, and return it......they get a free meal, and double their money back. No it isn`t right.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, given that you have no indication whatsoever that this black person stole the items that he was returning and you want to accuse him of shoplifting, I think that there is a very good reason for him to claim that your action is racist.
There's more indication that the OP is racist than there is that this person stole anything. It doesn't mean either are true... just that one is more likely.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:43 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
There's more indication that the OP is racist than there is that this person stole anything. It doesn't mean either are true... just that one is more likely.
Or maybe the OP has actually worked in retail, unlike apparently most of the posters here, and has had people of color pull the race card on them, a common tactic. It's happened to me, too.

I worked briefly at a Home Depot a couple of years ago, and in our training we were told of some of these elaborate schemes to sneak an expensive item out of the store, then try to return it for cash the next day.

The company is well aware of the risks, and they assured us that there were security people all over the place, undercover shoppers or monitoring video feeds. There are people at the exits watching you leave, too.

They told us never to confront a thief, but to just tell security and let them deal with it. Frustrating, but like the other poster said, the costs are baked into the prices.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 AM

177 posts, read 130,487 times
I used to work in retail years ago and there was one return that I dealt with that blew my mind. This woman came into the store with paint stains on her clothes carrying a huge set of draperies. She said she had just repainted her living room and needed to return the drapes due to fading at the bottom. She had no receipt. We did have a return policy in place which I explained to her. She insisted she wanted her money back because the drapes were defective (faded looking). She got mad at my refusal and insisted I call the manager over. I did. The manager was able to look up her receipt due to her using her store credit card (the woman did not tell me she had purchased it on the card). Anyway, come to find out she had purchased the drapes TWO YEARS AGO so they had hung in her house all that time...no wonder why they were faded. She had just painted and wanted to get money or credit to get new drapes. But get this....the manager DID GIVE HER THE CREDIT FOR THE TWO YEAR OLD DRAPES! That was the most ridiculous situation I have had to deal with.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Does it surprise you that anyone can walk into a Lowes grab some items off the shelf and than walk to customer service and say " I paid in cash for these and lost my receipt and would like to return them for store credit".

This is allowed! I never knew a store would take being railroaded like this. I know the customer is always right but lets get real. Is this being too kind to the customer. How many rip off artists are just doing this.

I just recently heard of this till recently.
Yep. This was a big thing at stores until most of them put policies in place to stop it. The other thing that happens frequently is somebody buys something, gets it home, takes it out of the box, puts the old one back in and then returns it. If the clerks don’t look at it. they put it back on the shelf where an unsuspecting person purchases it. I have been that unsuspecting person a few times. I now grab a clerk and open the box in front of them to make sure I’m actually getting what I’m supposed to be getting. If I can’t find one I’ll do it at the checkout register. I also thoroughly inspect the box to see if there’s any signs of tampering.

I bought an expensive bath scale once only to open it up and find something that was about 65 years old and filthy…

But. This is not an issue for you to tackle. Certainly tell your managers what you suspect, and let them handle it. In retail there is always an expected amount of “shrinkage“. This issue would fall under that. If you were actually working checkout counters they don’t expect you to be a hero. In fact being a hero usually gets people fired, at least that happens out here rather frequently.

They need you to be a worker bee. How anybody gets ahead in retail I have no idea.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:44 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Or maybe the OP has actually worked in retail, unlike apparently most of the posters here, and has had people of color pull the race card on them, a common tactic. It's happened to me, too.
I was a manager for a retail chain that went out of business a couple decades ago. NEVER, not once did a customer "pull the race card" on me.
All the shoplifters I caught were white, usually men, but that is probably because it was a sporting goods store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products