Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 07:58 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wonder why this thread was moved from the other streaming threads?
They probably felt they were saying the same things so they merged them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 05:39 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
At some point Amzn, ATT, Apple, Disney, Hulu, etc etc will all do the same.

Making it just as expensive as cable TV

Thereby making this whole cut the cord, streaming a pointless exercise.
Your comment assumes only streaming services will go up in price. The reality is both cable and streaming services will increase prices over time. That means cable will most likely always be more expensive than the streaming services. Furthermore with streaming services users can cut out some of the vendors when they are not actively watching their content, while cable TV requires paying for the whole bundle or nothing at all.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:30 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
$10 a month for Netflix is still a great deal.

i look at what i pay in $ for hours of of entertainment received.
so me paying $ 2.50 per week for many hours of entertainment is a ridiculously good price.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
There are better choices than paying to watch movies with that company. Get yourself a
Spoiler
Roku
streaming device for about $30 one time payment and watch movies for free.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:40 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
$10 a month for Netflix is still a great deal.

i look at what i pay in $ for hours of of entertainment received.
so me paying $ 2.50 per week for many hours of entertainment is a ridiculously good price.
I think I may consider switching to HBO Max. It’s cheaper and I wont get charged tax. And I think I underestimated just how good the content is on HBO Max. It might actually be superior to Netflix!

Old 03-12-2022, 08:22 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I think I may consider switching to HBO Max. It’s cheaper and I wont get charged tax. And I think I underestimated just how good the content is on HBO Max. It might actually be superior to Netflix!
When I had both I watched much more on HBO than Netflix. I only got addicted to Stranger Things on Netflix but there are numerous HBO shows I was hooked on. Plus good movies, newer movies.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:08 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
My issue is less with them raising prices and more with them trying to come up with ways to prevent password sharing from different locations.

Many, many people I know only have Netflix subscriptions because they share it with family living in different households. If they had to pay an additional amount per profile outside of their immediate household, many would cancel Netflix completely. I think this move will backfire on Netflix.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:51 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My issue is less with them raising prices and more with them trying to come up with ways to prevent password sharing from different locations.

Many, many people I know only have Netflix subscriptions because they share it with family living in different households. If they had to pay an additional amount per profile outside of their immediate household, many would cancel Netflix completely. I think this move will backfire on Netflix.
Netflix has been raising prices more frequently than any other streaming service and they have becoming THE most expensive on demand streaming service out there. In fact, HBO Max has always been more expensive but thanks to Netflix’s frequent price increases, they have now surpassed HBO. And STILL they are the #1 subscribed streaming service. Case in point… Netflix can do whatever the they want whenever they want and they will not lose subscribers! People love Netflix and will cling onto them!

Old 03-18-2022, 04:10 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Netflix has been raising prices more frequently than any other streaming service and they have becoming THE most expensive on demand streaming service out there. In fact, HBO Max has always been more expensive but thanks to Netflix’s frequent price increases, they have now surpassed HBO. And STILL they are the #1 subscribed streaming service. Case in point… Netflix can do whatever the they want whenever they want and they will not lose subscribers! People love Netflix and will cling onto them!
I think this may be a game changer, though, depending on how it is enforced. I think a big reason why Netflix is number one is because they offer so much more than services like HBO Max in terms of content, both original and otherwise.

But I wonder if people would truly stay with the company if having to pay for profiles outside of their residence (e.g. for family members living elsewhere) slowly creeps up and makes their monthly Netflix bill be closer to a monthly cable subscription Granted, this wouldn't be the case for everyone, but I'm very interested to see how the pilot for this in the three countries planned goes.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:14 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I told my husband about the slight price increase and when we signed in to Netflix, it made us accept the changes, except that it gave us the option to choose among the 3 levels of pricing and we decided we only needed the 1 viewer option which is only $9.99. That's more in line with the other streaming services we pay. We never have 2 TV's or other devices going at the same time so it works for us.

His brother on the other hand shares his Netflix with his entire family - I'm guessing this is going to force his adult kids to get their own log in or forego it altogether. It will be interesting to see what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products