Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,353 times

Advertisements

Bed Bath and Beyond has stated that they have significant doubt that they can remain a going concern and warned of possible bankruptcy.

Though they have been a very toxic company for years I somewhat hope they can turn things around since they are really one of the few places to turn to for higher end home products.

I've been shopping for sheets lately and most of what is in stores these days is absolute junk. Target has done away with their better sheets that used to be a pretty good buy. I hate buying sheets online when I cannot feel them first. Thread count only gets you so far. Many high thread count sheets are crap.
I found a decent set at BB+B finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 03:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Bed Bath and Beyond has stated that they have significant doubt that they can remain a going concern and warned of possible bankruptcy.

Though they have been a very toxic company for years I somewhat hope they can turn things around since they are really one of the few places to turn to for higher end home products.

I've been shopping for sheets lately and most of what is in stores these days is absolute junk. Target has done away with their better sheets that used to be a pretty good buy. I hate buying sheets online when I cannot feel them first. Thread count only gets you so far. Many high thread count sheets are crap.
I bought a really nice set of all cotton sheets from Target last summer. They were pricy but very nice. $95 for a queen set with 4 pillow cases.

Maybe your local store was out of their higher end sheets at the time you went shopping.

I don't buy the super high thread counts (600 or 800) because to get that many threads per inch, they get very thin.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:36 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Shopped their store closing sale yesterday. Everything 30% off, which put pricing about what it would be normally pre-inflation. A couple items, like blackout curtains, were 50% off, so snagged some replacements for a bedroom. I noticed that some shelves were already empty of high-end comforters and quality stuff.

My guess is that some stuff went back to savvy suppliers demanding stock back in lieu of payments, some may have been transferred to other stores, and only some items were actually bought by customers.

What I found telling was that on the previous day I had been thrift store shopping, and the owner of one thrift store I was in was talking to a long time customer, saying that she was closing her shop up next week for lack of business.

Indications lead me to think this area is hunkering down for more inflationary pressure, with shoppers being much more selective and less likely to spend.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:50 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
All them kind of stores are going down hill phil.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:54 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
We are too poor to buy those kinds of things these days.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post

Try Costco for excellent sheets: Kirkland Signature 680 t/c.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:12 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Brick and mortar stores are all dying. The future is online shopping. Nothing is going to reverse that trend. The sooner you adopt the better for you.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:55 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I was in a local Bed Bath & Beyond store just before the holiday season. Their inventory levels of several items were very low and I couldn't find the few items that I wanted there. So I won't be surprised if they have shut their doors in the not too distant future.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:16 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
The last time I was in a store was right after it opened up after Covid. I was shocked at how barren the shelves were, and I haven’t been back. I was a regular shopper there for household goods, and paid the annual membership for the 20% discount and free shipping.

The last thing I bought was a mini chopper online before Christmas. When the box arrived there were 4 mini choppers in it. No wonder they’re going down the tubes.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Brick and mortar stores are all dying. The future is online shopping. Nothing is going to reverse that trend. The sooner you adopt the better for you.
Not sure if this applies to all stores. Costco is killing it with in-store customers.

Target's and Walmart's are always jammed with customers. Best Buy always seems busy. Heck just about every store seems busy except for BB&B, Kohls, Macy's, etc... and those are the ones that are dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products