Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2024, 08:27 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
7,301 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Reputation: 17820

Advertisements

$29/lb? Gesu!.....I haven't bought beef from a store for more than 20 yrs, yet I eat beef every day. I get whole steers (about 450 lb of cut & wrapped beef) for about $6/lb. (The next one may be a bit more given the inflation rate since my last purchase.) That gives you about 100 lb of the best steaks and I have them grind everything else up into 90% lean "ground sirloin."

It takes one full size freezer (20 cu ft) to hold one steer. You can also buy half or qtr steers at the local processor for smaller freezers &/or lower capital outlay to fit your budget.

This may not be the place to discuss the health benefits of eating beef (more nutrient dense, more digestible and less need for diabetes-producing carbs in your diet) but they are often under rated in the pseudo-scientific popular press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2024, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
20,955 posts, read 28,486,217 times
Reputation: 24981
Ground Turkey is Nasty to me. My MIL once mixed ground turkey and ground beef together in a meatloaf and you could taste the turkey right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
5,471 posts, read 8,202,022 times
Reputation: 11672
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thinking about this, made me say "wow"

I eat beef, primarily Tenderloin. 4x per week.

W.Foods: $39/lb
Market 32: $29/lb

May not seem like much of a difference if we are talking one 7oz piece, but that's 7oz x 4 = 28oz per week, or 1.75lbs per week, which means I consume about 91lbs per year. At a price diff of $10/lb, that's a savings of $900 per year. Wow.

Now to see where else I can save...
Saving money by paying less per pound. Sheer genius!! Worthy of a TED Talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
3,076 posts, read 2,416,789 times
Reputation: 8456
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thinking about this, made me say "wow"

I eat beef, primarily Tenderloin. 4x per week.

W.Foods: $39/lb
Market 32: $29/lb

May not seem like much of a difference if we are talking one 7oz piece, but that's 7oz x 4 = 28oz per week, or 1.75lbs per week, which means I consume about 91lbs per year. At a price diff of $10/lb, that's a savings of $900 per year. Wow.

Now to see where else I can save...

Or eat hamburger and save even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
50,406 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Reputation: 93432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe we should have a ground turkey recipe thread.
DH would never choose ground turkey for a meal, but I’ve made Rachel Ray Southwest turkey burgers a few times and they are very tasty.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013966
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 02:29 PM
 
17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Reputation: 29821
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thinking about this, made me say "wow"

I eat beef, primarily Tenderloin. 4x per week.

W.Foods: $39/lb
Market 32: $29/lb

May not seem like much of a difference if we are talking one 7oz piece, but that's 7oz x 4 = 28oz per week, or 1.75lbs per week, which means I consume about 91lbs per year. At a price diff of $10/lb, that's a savings of $900 per year. Wow.

Now to see where else I can save...
You really eat 91 pounds of beef a year? Save your health, forget the $$$ savings and cut back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Newburyport, MA
12,571 posts, read 9,654,327 times
Reputation: 16062
In addition to trying other critters, there are other nice cuts within beef that are less expensive. For example top sirloin is typically half the price of tenderloin, and it's still very good - less tender of course, but still fairly tender, and usually juicier and with more beef flavor than tenderloin - due to greater fat marbling. Notice how it's taken from the area just below the tenderloin, and does not come from an area that's doing a lot of heavy work.



Chuck, brisket and round come from the muscles that are the real workhorses on the animal. These can actually be delicious and are loaded with beefy flavor, but they require longer cooking to tenderize them, and are normally used in e.g. beef bourguignon, beef rendang, beef stew, beef bbq, etc

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-12-2024 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Beacon Falls
1,377 posts, read 1,006,353 times
Reputation: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You really eat 91 pounds of beef a year? Save your health, forget the $$$ savings and cut back.
I would argue that a 7oz portion of beef for someone my size (not Bill Shoemaker, not LeBron James), with a nice size portion of fresh green veggies on the side is not too much beef for one sitting, and I would argue that doing that 4x per week, while not eating beef the other three days, is rather healthy, and far from unhealthy.


Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2024, 08:53 PM
 
2,251 posts, read 1,351,394 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
In addition to trying other critters, there are other nice cuts within beef that are less expensive. For example top sirloin is typically half the price of tenderloin, and it's still very good - less tender of course, but still fairly tender, and usually juicier and with more beef flavor than tenderloin - due to greater fat marbling. Notice how it's taken from the area just below the tenderloin, and does not come from an area that's doing a lot of heavy work.



Chuck, brisket and round come from the muscles that are the real workhorses on the animal. These can actually be delicious and are loaded with beefy flavor, but they require longer cooking to tenderize them, and are normally used in e.g. beef bourguignon, beef rendang, beef stew, beef bbq, etc
braised slowly in wine or spices.
Not forgetting beef shin at $5 - $7 a pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2024, 05:57 AM
 
17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Reputation: 29821
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I would argue that a 7oz portion of beef for someone my size (not Bill Shoemaker, not LeBron James), with a nice size portion of fresh green veggies on the side is not too much beef for one sitting, and I would argue that doing that 4x per week, while not eating beef the other three days, is rather healthy, and far from unhealthy.


Cheers.
1.75 lbs a week of red meat is a lot for anyone. That stuff rots in your gut

I enjoy a good filet but I rarely eat red meat more than once a month. Usually if I can remember when I had the last one then its too soon to eat the next one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top