Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 11:01 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

How many of you buy bottled water in glass containers? If so, which brand do you recommend? Better yet, where can i get good empty glass containers portable and non-portable ones? I really am trying to ditch plastic bottled water. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 07:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Are you talking about small personal sized water bottles (ie 20 or 40 oz) or the large 5 gallon type jugs that go in water dispensers? I don't really understand what you mean by portable and non-portable.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't really understand what you mean by portable and non-portable.
My guess - potable and non-potable.

But then...maybe the OP is asking for glass water bottles to carry on the go, and non-portable glass jugs that can sit in a refrigerator and be used to refill the portable bottles.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Not glass, but my son uses a S'well container.

https://www.swell.com/pages/swell-au...inless%20steel.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:35 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

But then...maybe the OP is asking for glass water bottles to carry on the go, and non-portable glass jugs that can sit in a refrigerator and be used to refill the portable bottles.
This makes the most sense. What the container you're holding water in is made of doesn't determine its potability, but it may determine how portable it is. Glass is not only heavier than most plastics, it's generally more fragile than most plastics. All sorts of glass water pitchers available and there are also lots of glass or glass-lined "sport" water bottles OP.

Just one review:

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyl...-water-bottles

FWIW, can't recall the last time I carried or bought water in a single use type plastic bottle. Long before rejecting plastic was considered PC anyway. Pretty much every place I've lived I've used water right from the tap or arranged to buy it in returnable/refillable bulk plastic jugs. I realize not everyone feels they have that option. I hardly ever buy fast food and I don't buy take-out bottled water either. I may buy a fountain drink served in a paper cup. If I'm sitting at work or home, my water is in a ceramic/glass/metal mug or fridge pitcher. If I was on the go, I usually carried water in metal, Thermos-style glass-lined bottles, or a many, many-times reusable plastic bottle. I have one Nalgene sports bottle that must be 30+ years old and still going strong.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-15-2024 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 09:50 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Better yet, where can i get good empty glass containers portable and non-portable ones?

You can buy glass Mason jars just about anywhere, and to make them drinkable, you can get a lid like this.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:54 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
You can buy glass Mason jars just about anywhere, and to make them drinkable, you can get a lid like this.
This ^^^ I drink distilled water, which can leach chemicals out of materials much more easily than tap water. My bedside water is in a mason jar, and I've been using them for over thirty years. I've never had one break.

As an aside, the rinse aide in a dishwasher will coat glass with a chemical that gets into drinking water.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:00 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
How many of you buy bottled water in glass containers? If so, which brand do you recommend? Better yet, where can i get good empty glass containers portable and non-portable ones? I really am trying to ditch plastic bottled water. Thanks.
I have bought some Voss water in glass bottles which can be re-used. I actually bought them for the bottle rather than for the water, because at work we are only supposed to have clear drink containers, and not everyone likes plastic bottles.
https://beverageuniverse.com/voss-st...ss-bottle.html
An alternative might e to see if any of your local grocers carry milk in small glass bottles with screw on caps. I purchased one that I rinse and reuse for water as it's a convenient size to carry.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:18 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Are you talking about small personal sized water bottles (ie 20 or 40 oz) or the large 5 gallon type jugs that go in water dispensers? I don't really understand what you mean by portable and non-portable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
My guess - potable and non-potable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Not glass, but my son uses a S'well container.

https://www.swell.com/pages/swell-au...inless%20steel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This makes the most sense. What the container you're holding water in is made of doesn't determine its potability, but it may determine how portable it is. Glass is not only heavier than most plastics, it's generally more fragile than most plastics. All sorts of glass water pitchers available and there are also lots of glass or glass-lined "sport" water bottles OP.

Just one review:

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyl...-water-bottles

FWIW, can't recall the last time I carried or bought water in a single use type plastic bottle. Long before rejecting plastic was considered PC anyway. Pretty much every place I've lived I've used water right from the tap or arranged to buy it in returnable/refillable bulk plastic jugs. I realize not everyone feels they have that option. I hardly ever buy fast food and I don't buy take-out bottled water either. I may buy a fountain drink served in a paper cup. If I'm sitting at work or home, my water is in a ceramic/glass/metal mug or fridge pitcher. If I was on the go, I usually carried water in metal, Thermos-style glass-lined bottles, or a many, many-times reusable plastic bottle. I have one Nalgene sports bottle that must be 30+ years old and still going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This ^^^ I drink distilled water, which can leach chemicals out of materials much more easily than tap water. My bedside water is in a mason jar, and I've been using them for over thirty years. I've never had one break.

As an aside, the rinse aide in a dishwasher will coat glass with a chemical that gets into drinking water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have bought some Voss water in glass bottles which can be re-used. I actually bought them for the bottle rather than for the water, because at work we are only supposed to have clear drink containers, and not everyone likes plastic bottles.
https://beverageuniverse.com/voss-st...ss-bottle.html
An alternative might e to see if any of your local grocers carry milk in small glass bottles with screw on caps. I purchased one that I rinse and reuse for water as it's a convenient size to carry.
Thank you all. I did mean both small ones to carry with me and big ones(jugs to leave at home). I buy bottled water regularly in cases at Costco and would like to transfer it to the glass ones due to health reasons(plastic seeping into water and food). Then again, i should probably be getting water filters for my home right...lol...thanks for all the suggestions. Btw, i remember buying a Voss bottled water years ago at some store near my hotel on a business trip, but eventually lost the bottle. It was one of my favs for the size and not so wide. I guess i need to find out where they sell one locally.

p.s: i'm traveling to Japan in a few weeks and will likely take an empty mason jar with me then. Or just wash an old Rao's pasta sauce jar and use it for drinking.

Last edited by JL; 04-18-2024 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2024, 08:14 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
My son doesn't understand my glass jar collection. But, but, I can put stuff in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products