U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 AM

504 posts, read 1,651,536 times

Advertisements

I have also done what you did, not just once either. I remember once the store was fairly busy at rush hour and only a couple of registers open and I only needed a few things got in the end of a long line thinking the manager will open another, but no he just stood there watching, doing nothing, s c r e w this, and I left. I know I am cutting my nose off to spite my face because I have to go back to another store and start over but at least I have made my point.
I notice when I go to Home Depot, Lowes, at least here in Florida, lines move quickly but at the stores that cater to women like fabric stores the lines are slow or the cashier is actually missing. When I first saw the post I thought you meant leaving the cart in the parking lot and not returning it empty to the store and I thought where do you live? Where I live hardly anyone returns a empty cart to the store and often takes the cart home to be abandoned on the side walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 05:54 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,793,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
This afternoon I made a special block in time to devote to the most major grocery shopping I'd be doing since late November. I've been writing everything on a notepad for ten days and adding things as I thought of them and this was to be the BIG ONE grocery shopping trip where my truck bed gets filled up and it takes me a half hour to unload.
I went to the local Price Cutter and it didn't seem too packed, but the produce looked bad. The onions had rot spots, the potatoes were tiny, the avocados were teeny and shriveled looking, but expensive, and I spent about an hour and twenty minutes carefully fulfilling my list with intentions of steaming green beans with bacon tonight, chicken-frying some cube steaks, and sitting back with a cup of Cafe Vienna afterward. Instead, I filled the cart up with everything from vegetables to meat to frozen Red Baron pizzas on sale to milk, cheese, frozen hashbrowns so I could make a casserole, cans of soups for meatloaf and cooking, instant soups for the slowcooker, bleach for housecleaning, shampoo cause I've been using soap recently... , shaving cream, blades, bread, cough drops, eggs, Cafe Vienna... a 10lb. bag of potatoes... and a TON more stuff. When I got up front, there were only four checkers and the lines were so long that people were backed up into the aisles. I HATE THAT!!!!! !
I will not spend forty minutes in line because they refuse to pay enough people to open more checkout lines. I've been in this store before and it's usually a slow checkout, and when I've asked them to put more checkers on line, they ignore me. This time was too much.
I had probably $350 worth of groceries in the cart...I mean..it was STUFFED. And I stared at the lines for a bit longer and was getting angrier, and I finally snapped in my brain and said. "F it" and left the cart in the middle of the checkout area and walked out. I will go shopping tomorrow instead at a different store where I actually have a discount card too.
Anyone ever done that? Or, was that just plain evil to do?
I've done it as well. I'll give you one better. How about getting a dozen or so friends to do the same. Load their carts till their ready to spill. Wheel them up to the checkout all at the sametime. Abandon them but make sure you tell the store manager why. Point out to him / her that they are not the only game in town, maybe they will get the mesage. I refuse to go into Sams Club anymore because of similar reasons. My wife goes in. Does the shopping and I load / unload the car. The last time I went into that store I had three items. I figured a good line for me to get on was the 10 or less one (go figure!). I was amazed how many people had full carts and were on that line. I needed the things I had and waited. When I got to the register I asked the checkout girl if those people (with the full carts) were told to use that line. She said no they just do it all the time. I said something to the assistant manager when leaving and his reply was "yeah we really should enforce the express lane rules" and walked away. I was ready to explode, had a half of a flashback and pictured myself running over to the big screen TV's and knocking them all down off the shelf. I don't know what made me think of that, but I did.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:35 PM

4,781 posts, read 1,963,869 times
When I was in line today, this guy in front of me had a huge cart of groceries. I had one head of lettuce. I stood there wondering, 'will he ask me' if I want to go first when it is his turn. I was disappointed when 'he didn't' . Not because I was in a hurry. But because I thought that would be the nice thing to do. You should see the looks on people when I let them go first. Surprised. I do it for fun. I like to see people surprised and happy.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:37 PM

10,017 posts, read 17,148,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
When I was in line today, this guy ahead of me had a cart of grocries. I had one head of lettuce. I stood there wondering will he ask me if I want to go first when it is his turn. I was disappointed when he didn't . Not because I was in a hurry. But because I thought that would be the nice thing to do. You should see the lookson people when I let people go first. Surprised. I do it for fun. I like to see people surprised and happy.
I always do that, if they only have a couple of things and my cart is full. I have never abandoned a cart before, I kinda have the mindset that I will be waiting, and just deal with it.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,143,061 times
Quote:
When I was in line today, this guy in front of me had a huge cart of groceries. I had one head of lettuce. I stood there wondering, 'will he ask me' if I want to go first when it is his turn. I was disappointed when 'he didn't' . Not because I was in a hurry. But because I thought that would be the nice thing to do. You should see the looks on people when I let them go first. Surprised. I do it for fun. I like to see people surprised and happy.
I did my major shopping at Dillons the day after my protest abandonment at Price Cutter and just as I pulled up to the checkout, an elderly lady arrived behind me with only four or five things. I stepped back with my full cart and told her to go ahead. She did...not even a thank you!
I still felt I did the right thing and people have done it for me as well.

Exhdo1 ignore the anger management comment and know that said person usually seems to caustically advise people to do things that clearly would be best taken as self-advice.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM

4,781 posts, read 1,963,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I did my major shopping at Dillons the day after my protest abandonment at Price Cutter and just as I pulled up to the checkout, an elderly lady arrived behind me with only four or five things. I stepped back with my full cart and told her to go ahead. She did...not even a thank you!
I still felt I did the right thing and people have done it for me as well.

Exhdo1 ignore the anger management comment and know that said person usually seems to caustically advise people to do things that clearly would be best taken as self-advice.
And I thought an elderly lady might even be more likely to say Thank You!
My four year old says "Thank You". We'll I have to remind him most of the time.
Were working on it.

This reminds me of running into my sister in law . She was at the Kodak machine developing pictures in a Walmart for Christmas Cards.. Man were the two ladies behind her making rude faces at her.(Thought she was taking to long) I was waiting to surprise her. She was looking down at the machine . So the ladies didn't realize I knew her.
Life is allot about being in a hurry for some people.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM

431 posts, read 315,623 times
Quote:
Life is allot about being in a hurry for some people.
So true. I suppose some people have been living under a rock for the past decade and just don't realize that lines ~ sometimes long lines ~ are a fact of life at most places. People that don't like to wait or think their time is more valuable than others should consider hiring a personal assistant / shopper. It's only about $10 - $12/hr. They'll be happy to do the waiting for you and nobody's blood pressure rises out of control or feels the need to destroy merchandise.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 AM

464 posts, read 701,207 times
MoMark I to have left the cart, but I usually put the frozen stuff in the freezer may not be in the right spot but at least it won't melt. I have a business card for Sam's Club and try to only go before 10AM during the week. Business hours 7am-10am, I love it almost never a line don't have to worry about people running me over. My family loves cereal but I won't pay over 3.50 for a box.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,509,669 times
I feel guilty to put one thing down in the wrong place so I could never leave a filled cart for someone else to put away. I'm one of those people that walks around stores hanging things that fell on the floor or folding the shirts that other people messed up.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,153,503 times
My husband has left a loaded cart so many times I can't give you a number...

4 Lines with 15 people each, yet a signed policy hanging on the wall that a new line will be opened if one line exceeds 3 persons?

It comes down to management. And I've been a manager, so I know the limitations.

I am the kind to sit and wait unless it is absolutely ridiculous (40 minutes to check out - YES - that is ridiculous), but then again, my first RX tech job way back when was at a Publix where the policy was 'everyone who can will be called' to handle a register...even the store manager would take over a till to get things rolling.
The holidays meant that I was not only counting by fives and taking calls but cashing out turkeys on a counter that was clearly not created for this purpose...man, when customers used to bring produce over and I had to tell them we didn't have a scale to weigh it...we were both annoyed. Even the Pharmacist had to do this while performing his other duties.

Times have changed a bit since then.

Now the Publix clerks don't bag and bagboys won't even walk a full cart out unless you ask them (but there are no cart collection areas in the parking lot, either). Those courtesies were part of the advertised "pleasure" of shopping there and part of the job description.

One good thing came with time - I see the newer pharmacies do not have traditional register counters anymore. Tiny little openings. Pharmacy items only. No more turkeys.

The bagboys and stock clerks will run the food back, but realize that they are restocking thawed items...so next time you come in, you might be purchasing someone else's frustration. Ick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products