U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,153,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I feel guilty to put one thing down in the wrong place so I could never leave a filled cart for someone else to put away. I'm one of those people that walks around stores hanging things that fell on the floor or folding the shirts that other people messed up.
I do that, too - it's weird post-retail thing for me - I hate seeing stuff get stepped on or snagged...an aside; it makes the associates nervous when I'm dressed the right way - they don't know if I'm some undercover Regional manager or Secret Shopper and start stocking & facing out merchandise instead of going through the motions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,638,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
This afternoon I made a special block in time to devote to the most major grocery shopping I'd be doing since late November. I've been writing everything on a notepad for ten days and adding things as I thought of them and this was to be the BIG ONE grocery shopping trip where my truck bed gets filled up and it takes me a half hour to unload.
I went to the local Price Cutter and it didn't seem too packed, but the produce looked bad. The onions had rot spots, the potatoes were tiny, the avocados were teeny and shriveled looking, but expensive, and I spent about an hour and twenty minutes carefully fulfilling my list with intentions of steaming green beans with bacon tonight, chicken-frying some cube steaks, and sitting back with a cup of Cafe Vienna afterward. Instead, I filled the cart up with everything from vegetables to meat to frozen Red Baron pizzas on sale to milk, cheese, frozen hashbrowns so I could make a casserole, cans of soups for meatloaf and cooking, instant soups for the slowcooker, bleach for housecleaning, shampoo cause I've been using soap recently... , shaving cream, blades, bread, cough drops, eggs, Cafe Vienna... a 10lb. bag of potatoes... and a TON more stuff. When I got up front, there were only four checkers and the lines were so long that people were backed up into the aisles. I HATE THAT!!!!! !
I will not spend forty minutes in line because they refuse to pay enough people to open more checkout lines. I've been in this store before and it's usually a slow checkout, and when I've asked them to put more checkers on line, they ignore me. This time was too much.
I had probably $350 worth of groceries in the cart...I mean..it was STUFFED. And I stared at the lines for a bit longer and was getting angrier, and I finally snapped in my brain and said. "F it" and left the cart in the middle of the checkout area and walked out. I will go shopping tomorrow instead at a different store where I actually have a discount card too.
Anyone ever done that? Or, was that just plain evil to do?
Yes, yes I have.

I also, while in a ridiculously long line at a Super Walmart, used my cell phone to call my brother, have him look up Walmart's phone number, called Walmart, asked for the manager, stayed on hold for several minutes, and when he answered, I said to him "I have been in line for 22 minutes on aisle 15. Why haven't you rolled up your sleeves and gotten on the floor to ring? This store sells ice cream. How could a person possibly get their ice cream home still frozen if they cannot get out of line in less than a half hour? Why do you sell hot food if people cannot pay for it before it turns stone cold?"

He couldn't answer, but suddenly aisle 15 was moving a lot faster.

I think that is what we should do if we find ourselves in an excessively long line somewhere. Call them up and call them out on it. If they get 40 calls from cell phones of people in line, they may just pay attention.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 PM

161 posts, read 633,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightrump View Post
Yes, I have done that too. It makes a statement AND the cost of placing the mdse back on the shelf could be considered punitive for you wasting your shopping time. Eventually they will figure out that it is cheaper and profitable to pay for an extra employee.
The problem with the"statement" you think you're making is all you're doing is abandoning your cart in the store for some poor bagger SOB to put away when s/he could be spending more time at the front end bagging your groceries so that the long lines weren't making you wait as long. Plus, people abandon their cart for more reasons than to just "make a statement", so all management thinks is "wow, what a prick!" and the thought process rarely goes beyond that.

It's funny how people like to complain about one thing while contributing to the problem. You're wait times would probably be faster if the store didn't have to waste a courtesy clerk/bagger on returning your heaping cart of items.

How about being a responsible, mature adult and stop being passive aggressive with "cart messages" and instead talk to management face to face? Then at least you aren't seen as an inconsiderate human being with no compassion, and you get your message across. Be part of the solution, not the problem! Most store middle-management is dense and non-observing, so you must talk face to face.

And by the way, I wasn't singling you out hightrump, or any particular person. You just happened to be the first I chose to quote.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM

36 posts, read 108,812 times
probably have abandoned a cart at some point. what kills me is that i left a case of vanilla coke in one once... that time i did put the cart away. maybe that makes up for the time that I "probably" left a cart out... perhaps the cart kid drank my coke... which is a type of [soda] pop.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 PM

36 posts, read 108,812 times
momark: $350? i don't know why but that made me laugh out loud. thank-you. those poor, poor putter-backers...

Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,841,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I feel guilty to put one thing down in the wrong place so I could never leave a filled cart for someone else to put away. I'm one of those people that walks around stores hanging things that fell on the floor or folding the shirts that other people messed up.
I've been berated for straightening up the shelves myself by my SO if we're in a store together. "You don't work here."

"Sorry, it's a habit."

Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM

859 posts, read 1,919,718 times
Yup done it couple of times, last time at Super walmart, went in friday night around 8 pm , and it took me 5 minutes to grab what I came in for. Come up too the Cashier there is 2 working. Mind you that there is already at least 4-5 carts waiting in each Line.

So I wait ,,,,,wait..........wait 10 minutes and the LINES have NOT moved ONE cart yet.
15 minutes..... finally moves ONE cart........ another 5 minutes nothing. people are getting PIOD putting stuff in the Shelfs next to them.
I wait another 5 minutes so now I been in LINE 25 MINUTES and the 2 carts have moved ( No they werent FULL either!!)
I finally left the cart there, went to the girl who greets and told her nicely that I just left my Cart by register # 3 and I waited for 25 Minutes and the Line has moved 2 Carts !

She just told me " youre not the first one or the last one, and I dont get paid to fetch carts!"

yeah... they got a Phonecall that night

I normally go during the early mornings to shop there now ,,,dont have a problem now lol

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,069,814 times
Yes I've done that and will do it again if I feel like it. Especially when the checker is slower than snot. I've done something much worse than that when I was in my early 20s. I had a sears charge card, I was never late on the payments. I went to buy some window putty and window points and a putty knife. A very small purchase. The clerk said there was something odd about my card and got on the phone. I waited while she waited on 7 customers who were behind me with the phone held to her ear by her shoulder. I became impatient and demanded my card back. she just held it and glared at me. I got angry and grabbed and tore the card into 4 pieces (very hard to do) and threw the pieces in her face. I also knocked over three product display stands on my way out. I will never spend a dime in Sears again. Yes I was out of line but there was a previous issue I had with sears concerning a jacket I bought. I washed it after two weeks and when I took it out of the dryer the left arm was gone. I had charged it and when I returned it for replacement they said they had no record of the sale. I was still billed for it but by that time I had tossed the useless jacket away. I may be too impatient but sears has to learn not to mess with the Rickers or I will not be back to spend any more money there.

Last edited by Rickers; 10-07-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,939,981 times
I have left a cart several times...I am always on a very tight schedule when I am out, but I leave enough time to get through the errands I need to run with a little "buffer" time for traffic, slow cashiers, etc. The worst check out lanes is at TJ Maxx and the craft stores!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,161,933 times
I have never left a cart but my last few experiences with Burlington Coat Factory made me come pretty darn close. I have never seen such horrible service in my life and the store manager is the biggest ding dong of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products