U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,517,005 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a good website to find out about my state (Missouri) Lemon Law? My car is coming up on the manufactures warranty expiring, and I have had it in the shop almost 4 times for the #^*%&* radio going out. Not just the radio, but the cd player doesn't work. Its a newer ('04) chevy.. but everytime I have to take it in, they can never figure out what "Error 9" is (that's what displays on the screen when I try and play a cd) So they just replace it with a new radio.. and in about 3 months.. it goes out again. I want to find out what more I can do.. seeing as in less than 2k miles my car will be out of warranty and all this is going to come out of pocket.
Grrrr..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 AM

405 posts, read 1,155,016 times
Simply type 'Missouri lemon law' into the Google search engine and you will find your answer.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Or, try this link to the Missouri Attorney's General Office -

http://ago.missouri.gov/publications/auto2.htm

Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Simply type 'Missouri lemon law' into the Google search engine and you will find your answer.
That does sound simple!
Except that a lot of the websites have one of two problems:
I don't understand what they are talking about because of all the LAW terms.

They want me to pay a fee to have a "Lemon Law Lawyer" evaulate my story to see if I might have a case. Yeah, I am not doing that

So, yes.. google "Missouri Lemon Law" did cross my mind.. and I did it. I didn't find what I needed to find so I decided to ask here.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Or, try this link to the Missouri Attorney's General Office -

http://ago.missouri.gov/publications/auto2.htm

Sorry, I am a bit on edge today. Didn't mean to seem snappy in previous post.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 AM

Try the Missouri Attorney's General Office link. It explains everything in easy-to-understand terms.

And no one should pay for any information - ever. Everything is available for free if you know where to look (with some exceptions - background checs, etc)

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 AM

850 posts, read 2,927,261 times
Pops - if you cannot find anything on line - do what I do...I pull up the state site and call them!

It may take a few transferring of calls around - but I always get where I need to be!

And...your county office where you have your tags renewed may also be able to answer this question for you.

I have found I can't always find the answer on the net.

Kimmiey

Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,623,824 times
Quote:
Try the Missouri Attorney's General Office link. It explains everything in easy-to-understand terms.

And no one should pay for any information - ever. Everything is available for free if you know where to look (with some exceptions - background checs, etc)
That's not necessarily true, if you want the best information... sorry, but as a librarian I'm obliged to say that! You do have to pay for a good database, which is required for certain types of research. And even for stuff that's free to access, typing a search term into google isn't always the answer. Many people either don't know the best terms to use, or can't distinguish between good & bad information. Sure, you can find most basic stuff that way... but not everything can be found easily & accurately - which is why I still have a job, LOL. Anyway, to answer the original question, here are a few suggestions:

http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/autom.../lemon-law.php
http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/M...lemonlaw2.html
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/43774/article.html (broken link)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr700_99.html
http://ago.missouri.gov/publications/auto.htm

Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And even for stuff that's free to access, typing a search term into google isn't always the answer. Many people either don't know the best terms to use, or can't distinguish between good & bad information.
It could be that because I'm in the Computer field as an Application Assembler that I take for granted my computer skills I am constantly searching for technical information, most of which is found on free technical forums and BB sites. Microsoft, Adobe, Wise, etc., all have technical documents that are readily available.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,799,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
Does anyone know a good website to find out about my state (Missouri) Lemon Law? My car is coming up on the manufactures warranty expiring, and I have had it in the shop almost 4 times for the #^*%&* radio going out. Not just the radio, but the cd player doesn't work. Its a newer ('04) chevy.. but everytime I have to take it in, they can never figure out what "Error 9" is (that's what displays on the screen when I try and play a cd) So they just replace it with a new radio.. and in about 3 months.. it goes out again. I want to find out what more I can do.. seeing as in less than 2k miles my car will be out of warranty and all this is going to come out of pocket.
Grrrr..
Thanks
I'm thinking the Lemon Law probably won't apply to radio problems. I believe in most states the law is more concerned with driveability and safety concerns. This is from Missouri law.

Missouri Revised Statutes
Section 407.567
August 28, 2000
Replacement of motor vehicle or refund of purchase price, when-- allowance deducted for consumer's use.
If the manufacturer, through its authorized dealer or its agent, cannot conform the new motor vehicle to any applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting any default or condition which impairs the use, market value, or safety of the new motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall, at its option, either replace the new motor vehicle with a comparable new vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or take title of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the consumer the full purchase price, including all reasonably incurred collateral charges, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply when either a replacement or refund of the new motor vehicle occurs. Refunds shall be made to the consumer and lienholder of record, if any, as their interests may appear.

I would contact the vehicle manufacturers area rep. tell them you are not getting the issue taken care of. Sometimes that may help. Also, file a complaint with the better business bureau (see if the dealership is a member). If all else fails drive it through the front door of the dealership it won't fix the radio but it sure will drive the message home (of course I'm kidding..........I THINK) Good luck, hope it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products