U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,353,609 times

Advertisements

I need to vent!!
Customer service and manners seems to no longer exist! Last week I stopped at a McDonalds in the airport and today I went to Sam's Club. It seems that the customer doesn't exist and we are bothering them.

You do not get acknowledged half the time, they look the other way when handing you your change, receipt or cards. They don't look at you, say hello, have a nice day or go to &^$%.

And, the biggest pet peeve I have is when they are holding conversations with their co-workers in front of you!! 2 months ago when I was in Sam's club (again) the cashier was having a conversation with another coworker while ringing us up and they were actually complaining about their supervisor!!!

I am so sorry I am making you do your job that you are being paid for!! If you don't like your job then get another one where you don't have to associate with people! If your having a bad day then stay at home and while your at it, stop at the bookstore with your hard earned money and pick up a copy of Emily Post on Etiquette!!!

Thank you for your time in reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
I need to vent!!
Customer service and manners seems to no longer exist! Last week I stopped at a McDonalds in the airport and today I went to Sam's Club. It seems that the customer doesn't exist and we are bothering them.

You do not get acknowledged half the time, they look the other way when handing you your change, receipt or cards. They don't look at you, say hello, have a nice day or go to &^$%.

And, the biggest pet peeve I have is when they are holding conversations with their co-workers in front of you!! 2 months ago when I was in Sam's club (again) the cashier was having a conversation with another coworker while ringing us up and they were actually complaining about their supervisor!!!

I am so sorry I am making you do your job that you are being paid for!! If you don't like your job then get another one where you don't have to associate with people! If your having a bad day then stay at home and while your at it, stop at the bookstore with your hard earned money and pick up a copy of Emily Post on Etiquette!!!

First of all, it is the region of the US that you live. I had the same concerns in the DC Metro - it's like you are interrupting their telephone conversation. You are a burden to them. You ask for where something is and the likelihood of accurate advise is the same as the chance of winning the Powerball. Orders at take out places are wrong 85% of the time. You have to ask for every single thing (napkins, ketchup, straws, change, whatever). I even complained to the McDonalds website about a location in a well to do neighborhood in Montgomery County MD. No acknowledgement from the store manager - I did the same in Chesapeake VA and I had a letter of apology and a free meal. Even higher end take out places like PF Chang's had problems with my order (3 times in a row- getting charged for an item I didn't receive). They at least make restitution for it. My 3rd meal (last take out) and 4th meal (dine in) were free.

At least they have sense to group similar cultural groups together in Montgomery Cty (ie Latinos, West Africans, American born shifts), so that they run efficient as a team in McDnD.

Down in Florida, customer service is 20 times better. I was shocked to have someone walk with me to the aisle and help me decide on what I needed at a Home Depot. That didn't happen in the DC Metro.

I am not moving back, either.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM

48,521 posts, read 79,977,785 times
I find that local national companies customer service is very good.Some of the tech companies have gone to pot now days tho.Many stores like walmart ;Lowes and others have fairy poor workers sometimes but mandated customer service policies on products that makeup for them. kind of a no questions asked at lowes and walmart on returns. I remember one time Imy wife bought tires ;she went to walmart knowing nothignabout them. She paid 30.00 for a policy that included the mounting;new stems;balancing aluminum wheels and got goodyear eagles. It included free roatation and balance very 5000 miles too. Then she got a nail in the thread of one and since it included fixing flats went there. They told here they didn't fix flats anymore and gave her a new tire. I also noticed that they tork all lugnuts so I didn't ahve to do thsi when I got home.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,353,609 times
Quote:
Quote:
Down in Florida, customer service is 20 times better. I was shocked to have someone walk with me to the aisle and help me decide on what I needed at a Home Depot. That didn't happen in the DC Metro.
What a coincidence
My husband and I are planning our move to Florida. The Tampa vicinity. We put our house on the market a month ago and we are hoping to be there by September the latest!!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 AM

500 posts, read 935,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
First of all, it is the region of the US that you live. I had the same concerns in the DC Metro - it's like you are interrupting their telephone conversation. You are a burden to them. You ask for where something is and the likelihood of accurate advise is the same as the chance of winning the Powerball. Orders at take out places are wrong 85% of the time. You have to ask for every single thing (napkins, ketchup, straws, change, whatever). I even complained to the McDonalds website about a location in a well to do neighborhood in Montgomery County MD. No acknowledgement from the store manager - I did the same in Chesapeake VA and I had a letter of apology and a free meal. Even higher end take out places like PF Chang's had problems with my order (3 times in a row- getting charged for an item I didn't receive). They at least make restitution for it. My 3rd meal (last take out) and 4th meal (dine in) were free.

At least they have sense to group similar cultural groups together in Montgomery Cty (ie Latinos, West Africans, American born shifts), so that they run efficient as a team in McDnD.

Wow. Sounds like you get a lot of free stuff by complaining. Is there a technique that you've found to be the most effective?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:40 PM

105 posts, read 267,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
I need to vent!!

Hello,

Vent away!! I feel the same way that you do. If I am shopping at your store, paying you to do YOUR job, than I expect to be treated nicely.

I have had a ton of experiences where the staff are so unacceptable that if I can help it, I will not give them my business at all.

What is so sad is that when I go somewhere that the customer service is great, I feel the need to say an extra thank you or send a nice email. It should just be expected! That is their job!

Ok, maybe they don't like it, or don't make a lot of money or don't want to be there...but no one is forcing them. There is always another option.

I would prefer to pay more money to go somewhere that treats me nicely than save money and be treated like poo.

For example, I will always shop at Borders Bookstore, they are fantastic! They all deserve raises!! I try my best to never go to Wal-Mart, the customer service is atrocious.

I will always go to Starbucks, even though the coffee is much more pricey than Dunkin Donuts. They are very nice, warm, friendly, helpful at Starbucks (all of the locations, not just some!) and I've NEVER had my order messed up. At Dunkin, they are rude, and CONSTANTLY mess up my order, plus their coffee tastes like dirt compared to Starbucks.

I would rather pay more money to be treated nice, but it's a shame that I have to.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,703,251 times
For the jobs that are minimum wage, I expect minimal customer service. Customer service has a price and most people with good customer service skills are not going to accept minimum wage. They move on. The one's you see working minimum wage jobs are basically the bottom of the labor barrel. There may be some who are really intent on providing decent customer service but they won't stay there long.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 7,955,159 times
I think I saw customer service on a slow boat to some place else 'bout 10 yrs; ago...I think it finally got there.
We are in a sad state of affairs folks.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 PM

10,486 posts, read 18,652,257 times
I think it's been outsourced to India.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,927,467 times
It also has to do with the changing nature of business. The customers are now a part of the 'assembly line'. Yes its true that cashiers won't even look you in the eye and, in most cases, will move right on to the next customer before you can pick up your bags! But I think alot of that pressure comes from management as well. I know for a fact that at wal-mart, cashiers are timed- the cash registers collect info that will show how much time was spent ringing up an order, how much downtime was had between orders, and other statistics. You would think that management would be more concerned with providing customer service instead of super-speedy cashiers but the bottom line is all about profit (even at the expense of customer service).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products