U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 PM

22,137 posts, read 23,739,107 times

Advertisements

I've had my Kenmore front loader for several years. It is very quiet (except for the fast spin). I have never had a mold or odor issue but I live in a dry climate and I always leave the washer door ajar between cycles. I have heard of people taking an antibacterial wipe around the rubber seal after a load is complete and you're done with the laundry for the day. The only thing I do miss is being able to do a true pre-soak. I have a presoak cycle but I'm just not convinced it is the same as a good presoak in standing water (especially for whites...). Other than that, I am happy with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 AM

668 posts, read 1,935,070 times
One reason that I am going to buy a front end eventually, is because my Washer and Dryer is in the basement, where there is no ventilation, and we get a mold problems, because a top loader has so much moisture coming from it, and even though we run a dehumidifier constantly, we still get the mold, so, I told the Wife that I want her to get a front end loader, as that will not let the moisture out, until you leave the door open, and then, the water is gone, and it only has to dry out.

I always heard that front end loaders get the clothes cleaner than a top load model, (my Wife has used both, and has always liked a front end loader, but they were way too expensive, until now), so, when we decide to buy 'new', instead of used, that front end loader will be first on my list!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,536,406 times
I have heard so many people that bought a front loader have mold;twisted clothes and smell problems there is no way I would buy one.my appliance repairman also says the no agitator type are not that good.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 AM

15,568 posts, read 37,082,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
We looked at washer / dryers last week and had been looking at front loaders due to the ability to handle more and the water usage. Our only concern was the vibration on the washer spin cycle as the hookups are on the top floor. We were able to see a few "in action" at Best Buy and the Samsung one, with their "vibration reduction" technology was really impressive - it barely vibrated at all after about 20 seconds or so to correct itself. If anyone has the Samsung front loaders, we'd love to hear your opinions.
I have the Samsung front loaders (washer and dryer) and I wish I had waited until they came out with the VRT model! Ours vibrates so much. It vibrates away from its original spot by almost a foot, so I am constantly having to push it back into its original place. During the spin cycle it sounds like a jet taking off from LAX. I do like the sleek look of these units and I have been very happy with the wash and dry quality of these machines. Next year I will probably sell these machines so I can buy the VRT model - in red. (the colors in my house are red and gold) Friends of mine have the VRT machines and their washer doesn't move away from its original spot.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,390,637 times
I have the Whirpool Duet frontload washer and dryer. They work so nice. Quiet and energy efficient. I did check on their reliability rating and it did not sound so good. No problems with my washer. The dryer just needed the front electrical panel replaced....300 bucks! They are almost 4 years old. I would never go back to toploaders!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM

18,978 posts, read 5,103,480 times
I've had the Kenmore frontload washer and dryer set for about 5 years now. The washer has the "sanitary" wash, extra hot, but they hadn't come out with the steam features yet. So far I am pleased, after washing I always leave the door open so it can dry out if necessary. I have the pedestal drawers under each unit, stores quite a bit and elevates the machines for easier use.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,743,915 times
I also have the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer-over 4 1/2 years not one problem-love them!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,343,405 times
I have an LG front loader set I bought from Sears...paid well under $700 for each. I did not buy the pedestals since I'm 5'6" and didn't see the need. We've had them for just over a year now and I love them! I have no mold, mildew or smell problems, but I do leave the door open as my manual stated. I also run the clean cycle every couple weeks or so, as recommended. They don't move an inch, and don't vibrate the floor terribly at all...and mine are on the first floor. The detergent doesn't cost any more than the regular stuff does...I still use All, just the HE version now, and my Downy works the same as it did in the other washer.
I will never go back! My mom bought a new top loader last year, and she can't reach to the bottom of the tub...she had to buy a stool to keep there!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM

2,794 posts, read 6,824,707 times
Front loaders are nothing new. These would be the "new generation" of front loaders, but the truth is that these machines were sold back in the 40's and 50's. The early machines were all that were available until top loading automatics started showing up after WW2. Well wringer washers, but we're talking about automatics. They didn't wash as well as the top loaders and the high sudsing soaps and detergents of that era killed the front loading machines.

The new FL's sound pretty good for cleaning, energy and water efficiency, etc. Nothing like the old generation. But I have a hunch that mold and stink were always a part of a FL. It's just the nature of the beast. The way they are designed causes this.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM

563 posts, read 2,344,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I have the Whirpool Duet frontload washer and dryer. They work so nice. Quiet and energy efficient. I did check on their reliability rating and it did not sound so good. No problems with my washer. The dryer just needed the front electrical panel replaced....300 bucks! They are almost 4 years old. I would never go back to toploaders!
Wow 300 bucks? Was it under warranty or was that out of pocket? When did you replace the electrical panel in terms of years owned? Just curious...Four years is not that old IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products