Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times

Advertisements

You're never gonna see this way back here, lol.

Anyway, my entire life I've never had anything other than a front loader. Wait. I think that may be wrong. From 6th grade on, nothing but front loader. We've NEVER had a problem w/ stains, mildew, etc. In fact, stains come out (even old ones) with no problem when using a front loader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
I bought front-loaders a few years back. I'll never go back to top loaders. As for stooping - top loaders are worse as I have trouble reaching all the way to the bottom of the washer. As for the time it takes to wash a load - yes, the wash does take longer on some cycles, but the drying time is much less so it evens out. It's not hard to find the detergent and you use much less of it. If I have an item I need to add after I already started the load, I can pause the machine and it will unlock the door and I can add my extra item. I try to remember to leave the door open after using the washer and I've never had a problem with mildew. I occasionally will wipe out the gasket too. One thing that I have noticed though is that you can buy a dryer with the same features that match the old top loaders for much cheaper than a matching front loader. So, if looks don't matter don't waste your money on getting a matching dryer. Just make sure the capacity is big enough for the size of the loads you are washing.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
Default Whirlpool Duet

Okay...I have read numerous...almost 100 post of information about F/L washers. I never understood why I had moldy smell on our clothes until reading this. But I did do something I hadn't done in the 4 years I've owned mine (Whirlpool Duet 9250). I cleaned the drain trap under the front of the drum. I was SHOCKED to see the amount of stuff in it. I didn't even know I was suppose to do that. Dryer lint trap sure...knew that. I wonder how many people know there is even a washer trap....? Well It has so far fixed our problem, but can't say that my son's allergies and my sinus problems over the years weren't from that. Don't know. What I will say is that I will watch to see the changes now that i've bleached the tub, cleaned the gasket and cleaned the pump trap. I guess it's like a car...it requires basic maintenance and a little bit of time. While I AGREE with MOST of the complaints, (it was hard on me too), wondering why the stench was so bad), I believe that a monthly (easy) maintenance program works. I do believe that the f/l washer companies should make it more clear on requirements to maintain it though. I also believe they should make it clear, very clear on the discrepancies and complaints or fix them when they occur, but of course that cost them millions of dollars a year. It really comes down to millions of dollars vs. a few disgruntled people. I dispise that mentality and will NOT buy another Whirlpool because of it. But I will maintain it in accordance with the owners manual now that I have read it. I just think that they (whirlpool, not capitolized out of disrespect) know what product they produced and failed to fix. I sort of think I've fixed (my families) problem, but will see in time to come. I would join a class action law-suit, but money is only made by the attorneys and the company itself (believe it or not). Good luck and as soon as I can afford another set, I will buy another brand and type of washer/dryer. Probably a top load again.[/quote]

Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
I paid about a thousand bucks for a front loader--what a waste of cash!! When taking clothes out you gotta be x-tra careffu that fsome don't fall on the ground. I finally junked it for a good top loader.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I cleaned the drain trap under the front of the drum. I was SHOCKED to see the amount of stuff in it. I didn't even know I was suppose to do that. Dryer lint trap sure...knew that. I wonder how many people know there is even a washer trap....?

well, I didn't. Thanks for posting . Where is it anyway?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
bucfan, pls come back! I need to know where the heck it is too.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM

305 posts, read 655,281 times
In my front loader it's at the bottom, you have to unscrew the cover in the front lower half to access it.

See what I mean? Then at the bottom right would be a clear plastic covered screw top...unscrew, remove, take lint out..and be prepared for Water coming out,too.

I only do it when there's a problem...if the laundry comes out too wet it's usually the lint trap that needs to be emptied.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,886 times
Default Front loaders way to go

I recently got a front loader Miele washer and Dryer and I am really pleased with it.

The wash cycles are defintely longer however dryer time is lesser so it evens out.

The use less water and don't have the out of balance issue that top loaders have. They spin outrageously faster and hence the less drying time.

Mieles have few unique patented feature Honeycomb drum both in the washer and dryer. It is gentle on clothes and cleans really well. The dryer has complete reverse tumble cycle not just at the end but all the way through the drying cycle. I could have several sheets in the dryer they all come out seperate not in a ball. Try that any other manufacturers.

It does not have steam but my clothes come out with no wrinkles again the honeycomb technology working there. My whites have never been whiter. Towels have their fibers all fluffed and the towels come out all square not pulled and yanked. Fold them and they look brand new.

For those who are on the fence go ahead and jump in. I love my front loaders, then again I got the best there is.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The front loader do not mean all those advantages. Top loaders are available with same thing. The main objection I have seen is more care need to not get smell from mold on the sealing gasket and from holding moisture from the door type. The energy and water saved is from less use of heated water; the way wash is done with HE detergent that means machine less electricity because it runs less. HE detergent cleans in a different way. Basically available on both top and front loading. Just as with top you can get agitator type or no agitator. I have top load HE washer with agitator that cleans well with no longer wash that I can tell but has additional water cycle and additional rinse if want for very heavily soiled items. Seldom use it with clothes unless really dirty.No mold problem or smell from it just like older top loaders.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Impossible to dye clothes with a front loader. Also, I'm always adding clothes after the load has started, also impossible with a front loader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products