U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,508,620 times

Advertisements

Its the same with modern top loaders and its a safety thing. But most have a button you hit and when its safe you can add clothes. On my top loader you push once ;it then unlocks the lid when safe.. Push it three seconds and it cancels the cycle and unlocks the lid. Modern HE machines measure the amount of water needed by load so adding a lot may mean you want to start the cycle over. They also shift the load evenly for better cleaning; at least mine does. I actually bought mine online and thought I was getting a agitator non-HE top loader. Then discovered it was HE. But I read the instructions carefully because its a new system. It cleans great. Of course just like older washer I leave the lid up to get ride of moisture I the tube. That is where most say the front loaders get the mold in not drying has easy from evaporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM

14,461 posts, read 24,627,079 times
OK, I guess that I am the odd one out.

I prefer the TOP LOAD machines, although I have used HUNDREDS of front loaders in various laundromats.

From my experience (compares with my friends), the top loaders tend to be more reliable and when they do break, teh repairs seem to be a lot less expensive.

I have had MUCH better experience getting whites whiter with a top loader as I can adjust the soak cycle a lot easier.

For me, I pay $30-40/ QUARTER for water and sewer so I doubt that I would get any savings by switching to a front loader.

My manager disagrees with my assessment as he was involved in the design of the Whirlpool front loaders. However, he is on his third set of washers and dryers - at a tune of $1500+ a sett. My washer and dryer set was $800 or so.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,508,620 times
only the cheaper models are now even with top loaders not HE. I actually ordered mine think it was normal detergent type. When it was delivered decided to try it. it cleans very well; is quite; uses less water and electricity .Even the front loaders are not like commercial machines. Mine still has dial control, lever setting switches which I prefer over touch pad and electronic boards. Also they are much easier on clothes because of now they clean.Frankly I really like ours once I knew how they worked and used it. When I remember reviews on our that were bad now know why because they describe using the machine wrong after reading the directions and using it .I paid like 459 for ours on sale and the dryer cost 469 because its gas on sale also. Watching now much less the HE work mechanically I would say they will likely outlast modern non-HE machines. As this pair was cheaper than my older Maytags when they were the best;I can't gripe.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM

24,435 posts, read 33,845,739 times
I had front loaders in Europe and didn't have stinky gasket problems. Then again I cleaned mine regularly.

What I didn't like about them is once the cycle was running, you couldn't slip a stray shirt or pair of underwear into the wash like you can with a top loader. Also, the capacity was much smaller. I was shocked by how enormous American front loaders are. European models are made to fit under a kitchen counter; they're a similar size to a dishwasher.

I have a top loader here and it works fine for me. I had to take the door off the utility room to fit my washer and dryer into the house. I doubt those new enormous front loaders would even fit through the door and even if they did, I doubt I'd be able to open their doors all the way. As it is I have to step out of the way of the dryer door.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:44 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,723,013 times
I have, and love, my front loader.
No odor; no gasket problems.

Best parts were the 25% drop in water consumption, and using way way less detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Also, I'm always adding clothes after the load has started, also impossible with a front loader.
Not at all impossible!
I CAN (and often DO) add other items once the cycle is started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products