U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 235,282 times

Advertisements

So, I know the benefits of the front load washers: energy savings, less detergent, less drying time, etc. But I'm reading a lot of drawbacks such as noise, mildew forming inside, time to wash (like 90 minutes), and actually causing stains in clothes (b/c the washing method doesn't get it clean, then the high RPM spin cycle actually sets a stain in).

I don't personally know anyone w/ a front load. Can anyone tell me why I should buy one of these machines? Also, I don't plan on spending more than like $700 on each. So, the high end LGs and comparable aren't in my price range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 PM

616 posts, read 1,581,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarmi6251 View Post
So, I know the benefits of the front load washers: energy savings, less detergent, less drying time, etc. But I'm reading a lot of drawbacks such as noise, mildew forming inside, time to wash (like 90 minutes), and actually causing stains in clothes (b/c the washing method doesn't get it clean, then the high RPM spin cycle actually sets a stain in).

I don't personally know anyone w/ a front load. Can anyone tell me why I should buy one of these machines? Also, I don't plan on spending more than like $700 on each. So, the high end LGs and comparable aren't in my price range.

Thanks!
We've got a front load, bought February 1st. The longest cycle, Heavy Duty, is 40 minutes. There is a Delicates cycle that is about 29 minutes.

It is very quiet except when it spins dry on high - the other spin dry settings are decently quiet. Honestly, often I'll think "Didn't I get the laundry started?" because it is so quiet. My washer is in a pass through between kitchen and main floor bathroom, so if it was tucked away elsewhere maybe I'd not notice the sound on the high spin dry.

I'm pleased with the cleanliness of everything washed in it. Since I've only had it for 5 1/2 months I can't say if there is less wear on our clothes - we'll know in a year or so.

It uses sooo much less water, and it takes so little time to dry. (We have an electric dryer and sometimes I hang things outside.) We're more concerned about reducing our consumption of resources than the price of water - so that's why we're happy with less water/electricity used.

We researched through Consumer Reports, asked other front load owners, and spent a lot of time looking at the construction of the washers before we bought ours. We rejected one washer on sale because the hinges that held on the front door seemed too flimsy - we could see that being a problem in a year or so. Once we knew what we wanted, we haunted sales, Sears Scratch & Dent, and ended up spending a bit less than $700.

Oh, we do always leave the door slightly ajar so the seal thingie drys out - no odors forming yet!

Also, we did not buy the "matching" dryer. We don't care if they look alike - and we found a good sized dryer on deep discount that we snatched up.

One more thought, someone who has a problem with bending over might not be able to cope with this type machine. Even on the pedestals it might too much bending. I have a lousy back but happily it's not a problem to bend like that.

Keep asking around, and check them out in person. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 PM

373 posts, read 1,340,991 times
Love my front load. Can put a king comforter in it and it doesn't come out with 10,000 wrinkles.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,571,771 times
We looked at both front and top load. We wanted to conserve water with the front load but didn't want to have to stoop over (bad backs) and buy the required special detergent. What we ended up with is a New Zealand manufactured top load called Fisher and Paykel. It uses much less water than the normal top loader, has all of the options that I require and washes very well. I think we paid in the neighborhood of $600-700 for it. It got a good rating from Consumer Reports at the time. The one thing I don't like about it is that it has a slanted top which makes it difficult to rest your detergent, softener, etc on it.The new models may have changed. I'd give them a look before I bought.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:36 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,765,472 times
I have a front load Maytag Epic set on the second floor since March 07. Never been happier with it. Always left the washer door open after a load, and clothes are always clean in every cycle. If you open a new account at Home Depot, you could get a break on multiple appliances. Check to see if Maytag still offers rebates on their website. This Maytag is now made by Whirlpool I believe so it does not have the reputation that Maytag Neptunes had. Also, I did not find the need for the pedestal as I am not tall and I fold my laundry on top of the units.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:40 PM

285 posts, read 981,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarmi6251 View Post

Thanks!
I had a front loader for 3 years in FL and loved it. It is so much easier to use. It was actually faster than a top loader. The clothes come out less wet so it spent less time in the dryer.

I moved here and bought another set but this time I was on a strict budget, had to energy star and needed a larger capacity with us four and 3 animals. So I invested in a top loader fisher and paykal. (sp?) and this set did everything the front loader did. I also can wash and dry in an hour. Plus it has a neat sensor that can measure how little or how large your load is and give it just enough water to wash. So you can wash one towel or a full load of towels.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 PM

3,446 posts, read 6,644,934 times
I don't like the thought of stooping over, using special detergent, and buying a special section that jacks the units up in height... I think the front loaders look like they belong in laundry mats. It remains to be seen if the front loaders are just a fad. I went with Top Load units and I'm glad I did.

I just had a neighbor that recently moved and she sold her front loader units with the house. She was thrilled about it because she said she can now buy new "top load" units. She quickly found out that teh front loader units were not for her. Each to their own...

Old 07-20-2008, 02:43 PM

285 posts, read 981,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
We looked at both front and top load. We wanted to conserve water with the front load but didn't want to have to stoop over (bad backs) and buy the required special detergent. What we ended up with is a New Zealand manufactured top load called Fisher and Paykel. It uses much less water than the normal top loader, has all of the options that I require and washes very well. I think we paid in the neighborhood of $600-700 for it. It got a good rating from Consumer Reports at the time. The one thing I don't like about it is that it has a slanted top which makes it difficult to rest your detergent, softener, etc on it.The new models may have changed. I'd give them a look before I bought.
I just posted about my Fisher and Pykel set too! LOL Yeah, that is my only pet peeve too with the slanted opening and resting detergent cap momentarily, but I like the dryer top that lets me fold clothes and place it on there.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,571,771 times
One of the reasons that I didn't buy a front loader was that when I lived in England I had one that literally took a half day to do one load. I can't believe that they haven't improved this for the US market, but I wonder if they still take longer than the top loaders.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:09 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,765,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
One of the reasons that I didn't buy a front loader was that when I lived in England I had one that literally took a half day to do one load. I can't believe that they haven't improved this for the US market, but I wonder if they still take longer than the top loaders.
Barb - it really all depends on the cycle you choose...could be longer or shorter, but I do like my water bill now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products