U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,267,607 times

Advertisements

As said before the proposed Wal-Mart in Waxhaw just didn’t fit into the area. Providence road can’t handle the traffic that it has now and even when they widen it to two lanes in each direction the addition of a Wal-Mart would make things much worse. There is one at the Arboretum about five miles away, so if you have to have a Wal-Mart fix then that’s not much of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 AM

476 posts, read 1,460,180 times
Thanks for all of the interesting points of view. I, being similar to Cali, have to say, with being as budget conscious as possible just for our family's survival, Walmart is hard to beat with pricing on some things. DH works for a major retailer and even with his employess discount Walmart comes in again and again at a better value. We also love Target, a much better atmosphere, but IMO they are not that well priced. I have heard of this DVD and don't think I am ready to check it out just yet. But I do appreciate all of the info.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM

6,778 posts, read 12,023,714 times
Wal-Marts prices are great, their business ethics are not.

If a wal-Mart moves into a smaller town you can bet the mom-and pop businesses in said town will go under. They are ruthless. I don't think they sell one thing that is made in America. Awhile back Sams Club was even selling knock-off Fendi purses as the real thing. Totally shady.

When Sam Walton was in charge it was a good company. Not anymore, IMO. My fiancee is a small business owner and freaks if I go to Wal-Mart! I was only going there at Christmas time to buy pointsettas because they are so inexpensive, and nice too. He gave me the extra money to buy them from a local florist. He really hates them!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,460,180 times
I agree, we try our best here in RI to support local business first. That is what is so disappointing about lack of butchers, dairy farms, etc. Unfortunately for other stuff, our finances dictate that we follow the best prices. But who knows, finances is one of our reasons for moving so maybe we can start making a few spending changes.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM

7,935 posts, read 17,971,695 times
ok so what is the deal then with the Walmart in Waxhaw did it pass or not??? I was told that part of the Somerset development walmart was going there???does anyone know??

Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 PM

197 posts, read 673,046 times
The Walmart in Waxhaw did not pass and is done. It was voted down unanimously The Waxhaw in Marvin is still in appeals because Walmart actually owns the land there so the homeowners in Hunter Oaks, Somerset etc are paying the legal fees in their homeowners fees - so I am told.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 PM

umm my friend in hunter oaks said nothing about it since they arent affected by the walmart, I do know that it was going in back of some part of somerset....interesting..Or I should say it was being proposed....

Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM

part of Hunter Oaks is affected - it is proposed on the corner of Tom Short and Rea Rd - many houses in Hunter Oaks back up to what would be the parking lot of Walmart - that's why there have been many people moving out of that particular part of Hunter Oaks - their houses will be lit up by the parking lot lights - I know one personally that just sold here house there a couple of months ago for that very reason

Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 PM

Here's a quote from a news article written on it...

In the meantime, local activists fighting the development are again raising money to keep a private attorney on the case.

Liza Kravis, a Hunter Oaks resident, said her neighborhood will hold a Sept. 26 golf tournament at The Club at Longview. She said that within a week of announcing the event, the group sold all 120 tickets and expects the event to raise $10,000-$15,000. The neighborhood also will host other fundraisers in the fall.

"I still fully believe that the evidence and ordinances are on the side of this community and that we've always needed to stay in the game to make sure that our legal rights are upheld ..." Kravis said.

Kravis said the neighborhood needs a private attorney to ensure that "residents know what's going on ... and that the full position is heard."

Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM

interesting I guess I need to find out which part of hunter oaks is being affected as I am looking in that development...thanks for the info I will try and do more research as we are making a trip back in 10 days....I would hate to think that we would buy a house there and then POOF have the lights and stuff in our backyard or a parking lot for that matter..I guess im running out of developments to look at....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products