U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM

7,935 posts, read 17,967,919 times

Advertisements

I think the issue is that they sell almost nothing from the United States...Target does and so does Kmart....I like the wal-mart prices I like target better and sometimes will pay a higher price for it to shop there..I love Costco over Sams Club, but it is a fact that as long as people shop and walmart has good prices it isnt going to be an issue..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM

476 posts, read 1,460,003 times
I agree and I can speak for my family when I say that I would prefer to shop at some of the other places just because the atmosphere is nicer but finances for us just don't allow it at this time. So I guess that makes me a Walmart enabler at the moment.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Yep I hear ya laurie...

Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM

75 posts, read 298,477 times
I guess what is most dissapointing about Walmart and its proximity to any develpment is that fact that it brings more crime and traffic. I would not want to have lights and a parking lot view from my backyard, but I deffenitely do not want to invite car theft etc into my neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:24 PM

well we have walmarts all over, and our crime HAS NOT risen because of it...they are in residential areas...and doesnt seem to be a problem...

Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,488,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhetman View Post
I guess what is most disappointing about Walmart and its proximity to any development is that fact that it brings more crime and traffic. I would not want to have lights and a parking lot view from my backyard, but I definitely do not want to invite car theft etc into my neighborhood.
This may be true in certain areas. However, as I constantly try to look at issues differently than the norm, you must consider that if such a thing arises due to the simple opening of a retail store, then bless their hearts for helping flesh out an already existing problem that has remained hidden in your neighborhood already.

Crime doesn't necessarily appear out of the blue. It develops and is prompted by temptation from, oftentimes, behind closed doors. The issue here really isn't the store, in general, since ANY big chained store that attracts a large consumer base would do the same. The issue really exists with the crime that already exists.

Ever turn on a light bulb in the middle of a dark area and suddenly watch how it attracts all the moths and various insects. In the case you mentioned, Wal-Mart is doing the same. And if so... if the crime issues increase, well, then the next step is for the community to redirect their efforts toward their local government officials and local law enforcement to help rid such criminal elements from the source of attraction.

With respect to the crime issue, Wal-Mart is not the problem, I believe. The criminals are the problem. And if they congregate in one area, then it's up to you and your community to take advantage of such a, well, light bulb and catch those insects in their tracks.

Just one way to think about it.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 PM

my point was because there is a walmart doesnt mean crime is going to be any worse..an in regards to my area, there is little to no crime on strangers...domestic violence is everywhere even your best neighborhoods break-ins happen all over so I dont know why you would comment that it hidden in my neighborhood, I live in a very nice area....and those crimes are going to happen no matter where u live no matter what kind of stores you have...its just what the town is going to do about it...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM

476 posts, read 1,460,003 times
I cannot say I have every heard of a Walmart bringing up the crime in an area. It certainly has not been there case where I am living now either. It certainly takes more than one incident or in this case one store to create a problem with crime. Crime continues to rise because the right things are not being down about it.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,570,390 times
Default Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich

I wonder if other people felt very negatively about Walmart after they read Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich. I know that I did. It has chapters describing the hardships of several low paying jobs - working at Walmart was one of them. If you want a picture of the difficulties of being a member of the working poor, this is a good book to read.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,570,390 times
Default Walmart brings crime?

Walmart brings crime? Traffic I can see, but crime? Why in the world would you say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products