U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM

180 posts, read 735,714 times

Advertisements

I have a Super Wal-Mart that was built on the street right out of our neighborhood. At first we hated the idea (worried it would bring hordes of traffic) but let me tell you it has been great. We got a traffic light which our HOA had been trying to get for YEARS. Finally got put up. Also, it is nice just going right across the street to grab whatever we need with out making a big trip.

Traffic hasn't been bad at all.

I don't think crime has increased in our area but I didn't go looking for stats or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM

70 posts, read 339,993 times
Walmart has a history of Labor/ Employee work violations. Some of these have resulted in Walmart losing court cases that cost them millions & they continue to abuse the rights of their employee's. In Sacramento we had a Walmart that hired developmentally disabled people and worked them 50 to 60 hours per week, no overtime, no benefits & could have cared less about doing it. I'm sorry but I cant see shopping anywhere that has a track record of doing this, regardless of how low their prices are. Taking advantage of an employee that is unable to know any better is sick.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,214,670 times
I used to work at walmart years ago (in highschool). I have no clue about the benefits issues or labor issues so I won't defend them on that BUT I really wonder what exactly is so different about Walmart compared to Target/Kmart/any other chain discount store. Walmart is a large, successful corporation and I can understand if other businesses are afraid of the competition- that would probably explain where the campaign-to-hate-them came from. Someone made a comment earlier that Target and Kmart also import items from China- absolutely correct! They all do! So beside that issue, whats left? If its about the number of lawsuits, well that can probably be explained as a catch-22: many retail employees feel mistreated by their employers, lawyers are more eager to go after walmart because they have the money (hence more lawsuits), other employees pick up the paper and read about the latest lawsuit so then they decide to pursue Walmart, too (and on and on). I've worked in several retail est. in my much younger years and in the time I worked at Wal-mart, I've seen 4 employees sue or make plans to sue the company for different reasons.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:52 PM

355 posts, read 2,508,901 times
The people who do not want Wal Marts in thier neighborhoods are always the ones who end up shopping there every day . Lol .

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 AM

531 posts, read 1,598,292 times
As far as foreign made merchandise,it's sad but it is difficult to find any retailer that doesn't sell a lot of merchandise made in China,Japan,etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,715,719 times
The Walmarts on Long Island are not very large and (especially Massapequa) very very poorly managed with long lines and barren shelves. People on LI are usually used to stores with much better service.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 PM

200 posts, read 869,605 times
Default A good documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1116 View Post
Rent this DVD and see for yourself. "Walmart the high cost of doing business."
There's also an anti Walmart campaign you can join. I quit going there 2 years ago. I would not set foot in the store. Walmart is destroying our American companies and helping to make China "the world leader." I could go on and on but watch the DVD it sums it all up. Why do you think Walmart has that new commercail on TV about giving their employees health care? They were telling them how to get welfare.
I've seen this... I never liked Wal-mart anyway; they always seem too chaotic. I'm mostly a Costco Shopper...but this documentary is very good, and explains alot about the Walton Family (and their lack of community giving/ philanthropy as compaired to others)

Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,540,956 times
My experience with WalMart in our community seems to be different: They sponsor / contribute to many community based issues and organizations. They provide a lot of help to local schools and food banks. They provide employment to many who are otherwise unemployed or to those who only want to work a few hours a week (many seniors fit this category)

As for the "made in china" allegations against WalMart to me are silly - in that the products WalMart carries are carried by many other stores including Macys, Penneys, Target, Dillards etc

Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,294,959 times
I refuse to shop at WalMart for all the above listed reasons. And, because it usually is such an unpleasant experience as soon as you walk in the door. Every mom in town is there with her 4-6 kids, and pregnant. How can she ride heard on them? She can't, so they are running all over the store, screaming, turning on all the idiotic noisy toys, is true bedlam. Then, there is the hard rock and filthy rap music to endure. Really too much.

My biggest concern though is the Chinese imports, and the fear of tainted food, ugh ugh.

So, now I am going to sound like a hypocrite! Just was up in Oregon, passed through LaGrand and had to stop at a WalMart for "necessities". Wow, brand new looking, clean, employees very friendly and helpful, nice music overhead, uncrowded, real flowers in the restroom!! Could not believe it was a WalMart!! Oh, and a coffee shop. WalMart heaven maybe..... Wonder how many others like that are out there??

Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 PM

383 posts, read 1,045,984 times
Walmart is the cheapest of the major chains around me (Meijers, Jewel, Dominicks, etc). I go there for food because they are so cheap. Sorry, but don't care about labor issues or however else they screw their employees when I can pay 85 for my groceries instead of 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products