Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,529 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving from Houston to Vermont in just a few weeks and need to find a good and reputable moving company. Could someone give us advice on finding movers and who to stay away from. What are your experiences? What about transporting cars? Any recommendations there?

My husband and I are a stressing out about this big move. Any help or advice would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
go to movingscams.com Tons of info, message boards, reviews of companies, etc...

I used it to find my mover from Fl to GA, and they were fabulous.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
In addition to the site mentioned (above) you might do a search here at city_data. I believe there were at least 3 other threads on the subject (and one mover most highly recommended).

I never shipped a car, but my father did years ago--by rail. You might give the local rail company a call, and depending onwhere in VT you are moving it can be limited to Rutland (by Amtrak).

Good luck and enjoy Vermont!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Avoid Bekins unless you'd like to donate some of your household belongings to strangers and receive personal items that aren't yours, be rebilled because they don't keep track of how they bill (and my cost was over $7,000 because I used them for storage as well while I looked for a home when I moved from Las Vegas to Missouri), and damage your belongings and then say you have to take a series of steps to correct that through another phone number that no one answers.
As for the items mistakenly gifted to you that belong to someone else, well, please arrange their mailing. They refuse to come pick them up and leave it to you to pay for and arrange sending the items back to Bekins....So I still have boxes of someone else's belongings and much of their artwork which I'm getting ready to give to the church to auction off.
OH! I forgot! Outdoor tools? Forget it. They just disappeared when the garden gnomes stole them from under their noses and they have no proof that they ever existed....and sorry about destroying your lawn mower by storing it sideways so that the oil dripped out too.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,529 times
My brother in law had a nightmare experience with Bekins also so I know for sure we won't be using them. I will check out the movingscam website and also check around with some friends to see who they have used. I've never had to do such a big move, only small local moves to a new house or apartment. It is such a pain. All the packing, sorting through crap, garage sale, etc. Then there is the joy of unpacking. Sigh. WHy can't I snap my fingers and have everything done in an instant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products