Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM

10,130 posts, read 15,817,308 times

Advertisements

This post is not about sociopolitical issues like whether Wal-Mart uses illegal immigration, whether it destroys small town businesses or labor practices in China. This is purely about y'alls opinions as consumers. Nothing else.

I recently moved here to Baltimore to start grad school. I live on the campus and there are not many supermarkets here. The only one that is close by and safe is a Super Fresh which is kind of expensive. I just found out about that today....before for the last few weeks I've been driving around 10-15 minutes into the suburbs where there is a nice Wal-Mart Supercenter. Back home Target was closer to me than Wal-Mart so I'm actually pretty new to Wal-Mart.

People say all that bad stuff about Wal-Mart but I've liked it so far. The store is amazingly clean and well organized and the service is wonderful. I've found that I can make one trip and get absolutely anything....groceries, food, clothes, school supplies, computer and digital equipment, I can even get a haircut there. Most of its national brand products.

But for some things I'm wondering about people's experiences with Wal-Mart's quality. I know I wont' get prescription drugs there or any other place except CVS and Rite Aid. But what about regular daily items?

The food seems fine but is it as clean and healthy (especially the meat and fish) compared with supermarket chains like Safeway? In y'all experiences, is the barbershop and glasses places in Wal-Mart comparable to let's say the Hair Cuttery or For Eyes? Wal-Mart is so cheap sometimes I'm reminded of that adage about if its too good to be true it probably is. For other supplies.....is Wal-Mart on par with Best Buy? Office Depot? Foot Locker? Bed Bed and Beyond?

Also, assuming quick traffic, the Super Fresh (I don't know if this is an organic mart like Whole Foods...whether organic is overhyped is another issue) is 5 minutes drive away and the Wal-Mart is 10-15. But Wal-Mart has lower prices. I do grocery shopping every 1 or 2 weeks. Is it worth continuing going to the Wal-Mart? I do have a very fuel efficient Honda Civic. I'm not particularly financially strapped but I always like a good deal (don't like paying extra for the same thing) and save that money for nightlife, sporting events, concerts, travel, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Also, if someone does want to bring up Wal-Mart's effects on the community....there have not really been much independent businesses here to start with. Wal-Mart simply competes with other more specialized national retailers like Office Depot for example. Safeway and Office Depot and Hair Cuttery had already put the local stuff out of business years and years ago.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM

13,914 posts, read 39,159,498 times
IF the meats are frozen then shipped I dont mind buying then...but FRESH No Way! I worked at a truck stop you should hear the truckers stories....Whats supose to be fresh is usually on the truck 2 weeks!
Books/DVDs things like that well its hard for other stores to beat their prices. Yes ALL store buy from China!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:19 PM

502 posts, read 1,064,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This post is not about sociopolitical issues like whether Wal-Mart uses illegal immigration, whether it destroys small town businesses or labor practices in China. This is purely about y'alls opinions as consumers.
As intelligent consumers it's our duty to never separate ourselves from our ethics.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF the meats are frozen then shipped I dont mind buying then...but FRESH No Way! I worked at a truck stop you should hear the truckers stories....Whats supose to be fresh is usually on the truck 2 weeks!
Books/DVDs things like that well its hard for other stores to beat their prices. Yes ALL store buy from China!
Wow a truck stop that sounds so cool and interesting!!!! I'm pretty sure you got to meet a lot of interesting people there. As for frozen food, isnt' every supermarket frozen? I don't know if Wal Mart's meat is frozen longer than Safeway's.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Re read my post Tom I said there was no way I would buy Walmart "Fresh" meats. Frozen meats are processed then frozen & shipped in freezer trucks. Fresh meat is never frozen and is shipped in referator trucks. The people at Wal mart have no clue as to how to route the trucks so that the stores recieve the products in a timely manner.
I had several truckers tell me [we were at the Martinsburg WV truck stop then] He had to del his load to Keyser at 9am the next day. Then 9am the day after to the Martinsburg store the the following day Winchester store!!

So here he is AT Martinsburg Having to Pass that store & Winchester to even reach Keyser...then repass Winchester to return to Martinsburg The back track again to Winchester!! & at the time he & I were talking the products had been on the truck a WEEK!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Walmart sells the same stuff Target and other stores do. Go Walmart. The Union stores are freakin out.

Example

Which store are you going to buy this product from (Random I just looked at a flier, beer.)

Walmart 16.99 or a Union store Vons same beer for 23.99? No brainer.

The difference is the can stackers are making Union wages at Vons even though the skillset is no different at the one at Walmart. Artifically high.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM

Target/Kmart & others do sell the same things But at much higher prices than Wal Mart. ALL MADE IN CHINA

Old 09-13-2008, 03:30 PM

50,116 posts, read 46,724,808 times
All I know is with the economy today we have to scrimp and save every chance we get. I can't patronize Union stores just because of the 'American jobs' mantra. Those jobs are jobs we did as kids to make some extra dough, now people (grown adults) are doing that same job as a career? Stacking cans or washing lettuce is a career with bennies?
Checkers used to have to memorize prices and know how to count back change. It's all done by computer now but the wage for that job is up 500% since it's Union. Just think how much cheaper food would be if the Unions got tossed out.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM

I live on Disability so there is No Way I am going to shop at a store where what I buy is Higher in price. Besides a lot of my friends work at my local Wal Mart...so at times I just go to visit! I am Not supporting Made in China...but I am suporting my friends that work there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products