U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,894,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEOHIO View Post
That is what happens more often than not and it is almost always the Hardware Stores. I also hate that when you go into the hardware department at Wal-mart, K-Mart or Target you don't get personal service and half the time they don't know what the H*** they are talking about. This is the same with Auto Parts. Luckily they aren't big enough to put AUTO ZONE out of business.
Other then their tire and lube service, Walmart doesn't offer a wide array of automotive products. You can't walk into Walmart and purchaser an alternator or a starter. Not yet anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 PM

566 posts, read 555,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Other then their tire and lube service, Walmart doesn't offer a wide array of automotive products. You can't walk into Walmart and purchaser an alternator or a starter. Not yet anyway.
"Yet" ...I like that.

It is only a matter of time. What do they have now? They already have an optical department, tire department, oil and lube, Portrait Studio, Grocery Store, Jewelry Department and the one down the road from me has a hair salon...WALMART IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!! I don't like it.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,540,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEOHIO View Post
"Yet" ...I like that.

It is only a matter of time. What do they have now? They already have an optical department, tire department, oil and lube, Portrait Studio, Grocery Store, Jewelry Department and the one down the road from me has a hair salon...WALMART IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!! I don't like it.
Ours has the above and a nail salon, McDonalds, Optical department, and a bank. And within a couple of months, it will also have a medical clinic

It's great

Old 03-15-2008, 09:46 PM

15,470 posts, read 32,197,169 times
In my small town the only two choices are Wal-Mart and Winn-Dixie, and I prefer Wal-Mart. The prices at W/D are higher and you have to show your rewards cards or tell them your phone number every single time, I get tired of that. I buy nearly everything I need at Wal-Mart except clothes. When I lived in a bigger town I did like Super Target, it seemed a little more "upscale".

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,838,864 times
Target may look more upscale, but the prices aren't.
I grew up in Arkansas. In Arkansas, we were the first ones, obviously, to have Wal-Mart. In the beginning, it wasn't so bad. They were smallish stores without automotive and food. Then, they were bigger stores with repair centers and a small food section. After that, they were Super-Centers. With each new rendition, more and more of the smaller stores around town began closing.
People can blame the small business owners all they want, but I don't think they realize just how difficult it is to compete with such a monstrosity. I've seen town after town fall apart once Wal-Mart moved in. Many of those towns have since picked up the pieces, and have adapted. There are now small towns way out by themselves that look like suburbs, with all the goofy big-box retailers moving in. Their old downtown areas resemble inner-city blight. Wal-Mart was the first store in this trend.

Another thing that really irritates me, is that when they "upgraded" to a bigger store, they ALWAYS abandoned the old one and built a new one further away from the city core. The abandoned buildings would sit empty for years, even decades, before anything became of them. Of course, Wal-Mart wouldn't dare lease those to any real competitor... the only ones that would need, or even be able to afford them. They did this even when there was plenty of available land around the existing store. I'm talking wide-open fields, here... that were for sale.

All you Wal-Mart lovers, most of which seem to be out west, a lot of you didn't know Wal-Mart during it's "growing" years, like what I just described.
Your urban places have long had enough other big-boxer's to compete. Away from small towns in the south, Wal-Mart probably just looks like another store that's moved in.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM

369 posts, read 1,817,383 times
Is Loathe an option?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM

19,109 posts, read 19,968,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I know I lived in a small town, that used to have a downtown area. My ex husband and his Dad owned a hardware store for 20 something years, maybe longer...Walmart came in town..boom! They had to end up closing their doors from lack of business.
Oh, I guess its not Walmarts fault. They go where they see they will make it.
Hmmm, this is strange as Walmart's hardware dept's are usually pretty small. It would be more understandable if it was Home Depot or Lowe's.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:40 PM

151 posts, read 665,470 times
Wal Mart is one of those places that everyone hates, but they shop there anyway.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 AM

28,905 posts, read 47,347,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
cpg.... what makes you think you're better than people who work at Walmart? I bet your crap in the toilet stinks just as bad as that from anyone of those "knuckedraggers"?!?! It's an honest days' work for low pay and I hope you(or someone in your family) gets the chance to someday work at Walmart, maybe then you'll have some respect. At least those employees aren't collecting your taxdollars as welfare...Maybe it's customers who look down on Walmart employees that ruin things?
I'm referring to the shoppers, not the employees, Maggie. I'm guessing either you or one of your relatives work at one based on the reaction. But solve the mystery for me please. Why, the moment you have a question or try to find something, do all the employees disappear? Do they go to the same place as other disappeared items, such as missing socks from they dryer and car keys?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,894,313 times
Actually, we do pay taxes for the health care of a lot of WM employees:

Washington State Taxpayers Subsidize Wal-Mart Health Care Plan (http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/washington_state_taxpayers_subsidize_wal_mart_heal th_care_plan/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products