U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 AM

101 posts, read 291,612 times

Advertisements

When I said it was pathetic my point was not taken as intended. There are 37 million starving Americans, animal cruelty and millions of orphaned kids. THAT is what people should be getting "heated" about. Not where they buy their generic ketchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM

291 posts, read 1,259,200 times
Walmart has great prices and saves me money, which I need to do in order to survive when I am old and gray and to send my children to college so that they will not strave one day, so yes, of course I shop there, have no choice really.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:50 AM

502 posts, read 2,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
When I said it was pathetic my point was not taken as intended. There are 37 million starving Americans, animal cruelty and millions of orphaned kids. THAT is what people should be getting "heated" about. Not where they buy their generic ketchup.
The heated discussions are not about where they buy their products. They are about Wal-Mart's business practices. To name just a few:

Nearly three-quarters of a million women work as "sales associates" in Wal-Mart stores. On average these women earn $6.10 per hour, or $12,688 per year if they are permitted to work full-time. This wage puts many of their families below the poverty level — half even qualify for federal assistance under the food stamp program. **

Current and former employees in California are suing Wal-Mart for sex discrimination in pay, promotion, and compensation. This will be the country's largest sex discrimination suit against a private employer if it is granted class-action status.

Women who make pants in El Salvador earn 15 cents for each pair; Wal-Mart sells these pants for $16.95 in its U.S. stores. Also, contractors in El Salvador force workers to take pregnancy tests.

women in Central America who make clothes for Wal-Mart live in shacks lacking running water or plumbing while women in China live nine to twelve to a room in government-provided dormitories. Some of Wal-Mart's workers in the U.S. spend their nights in trucks of motel rooms without cooking facilities.

The Maine Department of Labor ordered Wal-Mart to pay the largest fine in state history for violating child labor laws. The Department of Labor discovered 1,436 child labor law infractions at twenty Wal-Mart chains.

Lawsuits pertaining to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) violations have been filed in Missouri, Arizona, California, and Arkansas. *

Employees from Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Washington, Illinois, Iowa, and West Virginia have sued Wal-Mart for underpaying its hourly workers. Employees from Missouri and Kansas have filed class-action suits alleging "acts of wage abuse." These acts include neglecting to pay workers overtime, preventing rest and lunch breaks, and forcing them to "work off the clock." *

The NLRB also filed a suit against the Jacksonville, Texas Wal-Mart for unfair labor practices. It alleges that Wal-Mart threatened meat cutters, interrogated them regarding their union sympathies, and fired those who are pro-union. The United Food and Commercial Workers Union has filed a complaint with the NLRB alleging that two workers were fired because of their union organizing activities.

Following a vote in favor of union representation by the butchers in Jacksonville, Texas, Wal-Mart announced that meat cutting would end at 180 stores.

In 2000, Wal-Mart's assets totaled more than the GDP of 155 of the 192 countries in the world, with annual sales of more than $137.6 billion.

In the video Behind the Labels: Garment Workers in U.S. Saipan, Wal-Mart is featured as one of the retailers which contract with "sweatshops" in Saipan for the manufacturing of garments sold in their stores.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 AM

431 posts, read 315,738 times
LOVE Wal-Mart! I travel a lot and can always find a Wal-Mart nearby to get my bottled water and diet Dr. Pepper, shampoo, etc. I don't buy clothes there. They are CHEAP. But for groceries, household items and health and beauty ~ it's the BEST!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 AM

2,481 posts, read 4,949,319 times
Hate wal-mart for a variety of reasons. The killing of small businesses being one of them. True you can buy cheap furniture, clothes, etc there. But you get what you pay for, and most of the junk they sell doesn't last. All that money the Walton family makes and it pays it's employee's didly squat.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 AM

431 posts, read 315,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Hate wal-mart for a variety of reasons. The killing of small businesses being one of them. True you can buy cheap furniture, clothes, etc there. But you get what you pay for, and most of the junk they sell doesn't last. All that money the Walton family makes and it pays it's employee's didly squat.

In my hometown it WASN'T Wal-Mart that put out the small grocers. It was Safeway. Remember that big chain of grocery stores??

A can of Del Monte green beans is the same at Wal-Mart as it is in a small grocery store; except for one thing: PRICE! AND, I don't have to have a "membership" or "savings" card to get the "sale" price. Why does Kroger want my DOB, phone #, etc in order for me to get the sale-of-the-week price?? Wal-Mart = one price, everday regardless of who I am or what my demographics are.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 AM

50 posts, read 175,694 times
Default Walmart

I can't agree that Walmart is ALL to blame for ruining small business. These small businesses have to take responsibility for themselves. For example, in the small town I live in (8,000) the businesses on our main st. do not keep up the appreance of their store fronts, no street appeal, nothing says "shop here." the small businesses here are family run and have been for years. They assumed--mark everything at 50% profit, and go on their yearly golf trip to Florida. They lived a comfortable life. They didn't watch the trends, they didn't watch the change in society or in technology, they didn't watch to see what was sneaking up behind them. NOw they want to cry "Walmart did this to us!" No, it's called paying attention! The last time I shoped in a small clothing store downtown was three years ago. I was looking for clothing for my newborn. I found clothing alright, the same clothes I bought for my daughter 10 years earlier (this is the truth) same exact clothes! Same price! Only difference was the yellowing on the shoulders due to hanging on the clothes hanger for ten years! Hello, is THAT Walmart's fault? The same store has a 60 year old women buying for their teen clothing dept. NOT COOL! I own a small liquor store 2 miles from Walmart. I can't always beat their prices, or get the deals from salesman that they do, but, I offer services to my customers that Walmart never will, or can. How many times will you see a Walmart employee carrying a little old ladies beer and groceries out to her car!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:49 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,691,677 times
I have a bittersweet relationship with WalMart, lol. I 'hate em' when I'm waiting in long checkout lines with too few lanes open and I can hear the employees doing their morning meeting routine in one of aisles of the store; I 'love em' when I compare their prices with the competition.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,850,503 times
Without going all political (it's been done to death as Isabella pointed out...) I have to say I'm starting to dread (hate is such a strong word ) ALL "big box" stores.

That includes Kroger, Target, Lowes etc etc.

Guess I'm just getting cranky in my old age!

Gimme a store where I can grab a gallon of milk in 15 seconds or less. Don't make me hike 3 miles through acres of abandoned shopping carts to get a loaf of bread. And do NOT sell me rolls of TP in packages of 136 (or whatever). We are a household of TWO fer pete's sake.

Whew. Rant off.

Thank goodness for the internet. And Brown Santa. LOVE my UPS guy!

Last edited by plaidmom; 02-08-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM

502 posts, read 2,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Without going all political (it's been done to death as Isabella pointed out...) I have to say I'm starting to dread (hate is such a strong word ) ALL "big box" stores.

That includes Kroger, Target, Lowes etc etc.

Guess I'm just getting cranky in my old age!

Gimme a store where I can grab a gallon of milk in 15 seconds or less. Don't make me hike 3 miles through acres of abandoned shopping carts to get a loaf of bread. And do NOT sell me rolls of TP in packages of 136 (or whatever). We are a household of TWO fer pete's sake.

Whew. Rant off.

Thank goodness for the internet. And Brown Santa. LOVE my UPS guy!
I can totally relate. I shop at BJs and I dread going back home and trying to figure out how to find space for 40 pounds of sugar, 500 rolls of toilet paper, 600 bags of popcorn, etc. Whenever I open any door in my house, I'm attacked by toilet paper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products