U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:41 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,510,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I have no choice but to shop at Walmart. If giving a choice? No, I would not shop or step foot in WM.

I do believe there are good walmarts and bad ones. Mine is just plain awful. I think the quality of goods - such as clothes stinks.

Sure, I can buy some stuff cheaper then my grocery store, the problem with my WM they never keep the dang shelves stocked.
I agree- There are Good Walmarts & BAD Walmarts. I'll say no more.....gotta be PC here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM

146 posts, read 772,129 times
Quote:
I live an hour away from the nearest WM, and that's about as close as I will ever want to be. I do shop there sometimes, but I support my local small businesses whenever possible. Yesterday, I bought a rake at the hardware store for $18. I'm sure the same rake at WalMart would have been $8, but would rather support people I know than to support WalMart, so I pay the $18.
That's fair- it's your right. Good for you for supporting your local businesses. If you have a choice it does help your local community. You're putting money into the pockets of your neighbors instead of faceless shareholders, and there's a certain satisfaction in that.

I hate to read about communities/ cities trying to prevent Wal-Mart from opening a store. They'll talk about wages, benefits, etc., and maybe they're sincere, but "the poor" you always hear politicians talking about are the ones who benefit from Wal-Mart.

Personally I think a lot of the anti Wal-Mart hype comes from upper middle-class snobs who don't want anything to do with the "uneducated lower-income trash" that shop there. They prefer to shop at Target, which pays its workers no better but caters to yuppies.

I am upper middle class myself but I shop at Wal-Mart. My Roth IRA contains Wal-Mart stock, and I almost went to work for them last year when I got out of the military. I like Wal-Mart because it's cheap, it's all under one roof, and I respect Sam Walton's mission of saving people money. He didn't found Wal-Mart for minivan-driving yuppie families like mine, who have a choice between Wal-Mart the local Mom n' Pop with the overpriced rakes.

The groceries are fabulous. My family drives 45 minutes every couple of weeks to shop at WMT.

I saw a lady with a tattoo on her bicep the other day in Wal-Mart, and I think that's just as tacky as the rest of you. But I have more empathy for Mrs. Tatoo than Mr. Snobby Elitist who grouses with his buddies at Starbucks about "cheap Chinese-made goods" and "The Wal-Mart Effect."

The people who b*tch about Wal-Mart are not the people who have to choose between getting their car fixed or paying their kids' doctor bills.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,882,109 times
That's me. The uneducated white trash.

I may be poor but I have principles. I am also not short-sighted.

Everyone loves to give the "Wal-Mart is a godsend for the poor" line.

Wal-Mart is for Wal-Mart, which is as it should be. I just wish we would all look at the long-term consequences.

When I first got to Tennessee, I was freezing, and could barely afford to buy clothes. Okay, I could not afford to buy ANY clothes. I went to a Walmart and bought myself a White Stag sweater for $19.99. I was thrilled! White Stag was a respected brand when I was growing up.

I washed it three times and then I realized that there were HUGE holes all over it. No, not from moths. When you looked at it you could see that the knitting was not really knitted. It was just sort of there...Waiting to come out.

So, was it REALLY worth it to buy my clothes there? I went back a few times for clothes, all with disastrous results. I have since learned to buy my clothes, and my family's, at Dillard's clearance. The price is about the same, and the stuff will last forever.

A few months ago, I bought Frye boots for $39.99, that originally retailed for $239.000. Those boots will last me a lifetime. By the way, Frye boots are made in Marlborough, Massachusetts. They always have been.

Short-term gratification will ALMOST never come to a positive result.

When I referenced Florence that worked for the sprinkler company, I was referring to a real event. Snapper lawnmowers pulled out of WalMart, because they saw what they were doing, and they refused to kowtow to them or forsake their workers. They also refused to bring an inferior product to the American public. I believe I first read about it in Newsweek, and then read about it in "The Walmart Effect."

It's a Catch-22.

The woman with the tattoo could be working a good-paying job in a factory. Now she's a cashier at Wal-Mart because that is what she is left with. She now buys at Wal-Mart, too.

It's a win-win situation for Wal-Mart.

And it will effect ALL Americans. Why do you think we are now have a service economy? Because we don't make anything anymore.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,748,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's me. The uneducated white trash.

I may be poor but I have principles. I am also not short-sighted.

Everyone loves to give the "Wal-Mart is a godsend for the poor" line.

Wal-Mart is for Wal-Mart, which is as it should be. I just wish we would all look at the long-term consequences.

When I first got to Tennessee, I was freezing, and could barely afford to buy clothes. Okay, I could not afford to buy ANY clothes. I went to a Walmart and bought myself a White Stag sweater for $19.99. I was thrilled! White Stag was a respected brand when I was growing up.

I washed it three times and then I realized that there were HUGE holes all over it. No, not from moths. When you looked at it you could see that the knitting was not really knitted. It was just sort of there...Waiting to come out.

So, was it REALLY worth it to buy my clothes there? I went back a few times for clothes, all with disastrous results. I have since learned to buy my clothes, and my family's, at Dillard's clearance. The price is about the same, and the stuff will last forever.

A few months ago, I bought Frye boots for $39.99, that originally retailed for $239.000. Those boots will last me a lifetime. By the way, Frye boots are made in Marlborough, Massachusetts. They always have been.

Short-term gratification will ALMOST never come to a positive result.

When I referenced Florence that worked for the sprinkler company, I was referring to a real event. Snapper lawnmowers pulled out of WalMart, because they saw what they were doing, and they refused to kowtow to them or forsake their workers. They also refused to bring an inferior product to the American public. I believe I first read about it in Newsweek, and then read about it in "The Walmart Effect."

It's a Catch-22.

The woman with the tattoo could be working a good-paying job in a factory. Now she's a cashier at Wal-Mart because that is what she is left with. She now buys at Wal-Mart, too.

It's a win-win situation for Wal-Mart.

And it will effect ALL Americans. Why do you think we are now have a service economy? Because we don't make anything anymore.

How true , well spoken, and couldn't have said it better myself!
A big fat rep point for a very truthful "making a point" post!
And how "right on the button" you were, because Wal Mart "is what it is, and you pay for what you get...."
Bravo!
Wal Mart was there, when I didn't have money, and it's STILL there, after having a bit more money these days, but choosing to shop savy. (food, shampoo...etc. thank's to teenage boys being like caterpillars....lol)
But, I never, ever buy clothes there again, because they truly are ready to fall apart after the first wash.
The fabric "shifts", seams mysteriously come to the front of the leg in pants, shirts shift seams as well, buttons fall right off.....etc.
Not worth it for me, and even if it's only $5.
Rather spend $10, but have it for a while.....

Last edited by MB2; 06-15-2007 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 06-15-2007, 05:43 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,882,109 times
I bought Lauren a bathing suit and gorgeous short and shirt set at The Children's Place on clearance today. I paid the same or less than I would at Wal-Mart. And we both know it will last.

Thanks for the points, sweetie!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,810,588 times
Oh No not the Wal-Mart debate again
All I have to say is yes I do shop there,to me it's convienent and the prices are fair.If I'm looking for a nice outfit or shoes I go elsewhere.If it's socks or a tee shirt Wal-Mart works for me.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,520,674 times
The reason I don't shop at Walmart: They have held me for up to 11 hours (unpaid) when I've delivered to their distribution centers. Truckers consistently rank Walmart among the worst places to deliver to. I truly believe the bad things Walmart has brought to this country (lower wages, of-shoring jobs, forcing suppliers to cut profits too low to run their OWN businesses fairly; the list goes on...) FAR outweighs lower prices. We try to spend as much money locally as possible; I'll be DAMMNED if I'll send any of my money to Bentonville, AR!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,294,959 times
I avoid WalMart at all costs, and for all the above reasons. They are noisy, loud music, loud trashy people with squalling kids, rude employees, etc. etc. Target not much better, but do venture in when I have to on the off hours. Beware the myriad tainted Chinese imports (food).

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 AM

30,579 posts, read 68,119,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
I hated retail and never tried it again.
Join the crowd. I've been working in retail for around five years now, and I hate every second of it. It seems as if Lowe's Home Improvement is a magnet for the malconents of our area to convene just to attempt to make the lives of already overstressed employees just a bit more miserable.

Upper-management---the ones with the lofty pay scales and fabulous lifestyles---create unpopular policies that we, the underlings, are necessitated to enforce at any and all costs. Unfortunately, most people in my region are too poorly-educated to realize that the "low guy on the Totem Pole" has absolutely nothing to do with these rules and regulations, so they vent their frustrations onto us. When you're already dealing with severe depression, the last thing you need is to be ridiculed and berated by someone in a scene so humiliating that it draws the attention of everyone nearby.

For example, while working as a loader in the parking lot, I'd frequently have people ask that I secure objects to the tops of their vehicles for them with string. Since Lowe's and myself can both be held liable if the object should break loose and cause an accident, I am forced, by corporate policy, to respectfully decline. What do I get in response? Anything but respect, even after I explain the potential liability to them. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with people saying things like "Let me speak to your manager," at which point I'd usually reply with "Go ahead. He'll tell you the same thing that I did in that I'd be terminated for securing an object to your vehicle due to the liability involved." This would usually leave the customer frustrated and me in a sour mood for the rest of my shift.

Then we had the "day from hell," which was Black Friday 2006. As expected the entire retail corridor near our store was gridlocked, and tempers were flaring left-and-right. In the confusion I noticed a smaller-framed woman walking up the middle of the road with a large object, so I, instinctually, approached her, ensuring first that there were no vehicles approaching. She seemed grateful for the help, but then I heard a horn blaring from behind us, and a Volkswagen Beetle careened around to our side, and the male driver yelled something inappropriate at me that was offensive and hurtful. I replied with "Try having some patience, jacka$$," as he sped around us. He then threw it in reverse, and he and I got into a very heated shouting match, in which he claimed he was going to "break my neck." The woman who I was assisting chimed in at my defense as people began to watch the debacle unfold before their very eyes in the parking lot. Feeling outnumbered, he sped off before I could get his plate number to call 911 and report the threat made against me. She then surprised me herself by making an uncalled for comment about "New Yorkers being rude &#*#*#." Granted, the guy was obviously from New York by his thick accent, but so are most people in NEPA nowadays as we have inevitably become annexed as a suburb of the city. Not all of them are bad people by any means, and her comment offended me as well.

Then there are the times when I run register. As per Lowe's policy, if a customer's credit card is not signed on the back, we must check a photo ID to minimize credit card fraud. You wouldn't believe the amount of eye-rolling, sighing, and muttering this emits from people when I ask to see their ID. I even had one guy argue with me that his card was signed (one letter on the back of the card does not constitute a signature!) He then demanded to talk to a head cashier, who reiterated the policy to him, and he left without paying for his merchandise. GROW THE HELL UP PEOPLE! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION THAT WE DO THIS SERVICE FOR YOU! Would you all rather we not check identification so that fraud can continue to continue unchecked?

These are just a few examples of why I'm now so stressed out at times that I now have chest pains and nightmares about work. It's just not worth it for the meager paychecks we bring home. Why can't we go back to the "good 'ole days" of having traditional Main Streets lined with mom-and-pop stores where people were more laid-back and less prone to hostility? Does anyone else in retail encounter people like this on a daily basis, or did PA just corner the market on rude people? If you're so unhappy shopping at our store, then go support your neighborhood mom-and-pop, like I direct these people to do when they become hostile.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:30 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,223,956 times
I hate Wal-Mart and other huge corporations. They have become so big and successful only by gross exploitation of people in the third world and their workers too. The working conditions in third world countries are appalling beyond belief and nothing shot of slavery. A lot of the domestic workers seem to fare pretty badly too.
Stores like WalMart destroy local economies and because of exploiting people abroad they manage to keep their prices low killing off competition. The quality of the goods is terrible so all in all I can't think of anything even vaguely positive about it. Such huge corporations are bad for everyone even the customers looking for cheap goods. And yes i do understand why some people have little choice but to shop there. It does not make it right for WalMart and co to go on exploiting the world and rendering us all so dependent on their particular brand of retailing. Profit is one thing, obscene profit another. What they are doing is what I would term evil. I have been to South East Asia and India and seen the "benefits" that such companies offer the slave labour and it is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products