U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM

786 posts, read 903,832 times

Advertisements

Target > Walmart. Cleaner stores, less hassle, less crowd, better parking, fewer Jerry Spring Show guest-wannabees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,395,328 times
Nope, don't shop there, unless it's some kind of freak emergency. I don't really have much time to shop, and I'm not big into buying 'stuff', so I shop at places that are pleasant. Target, sure. I *like* shopping there.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,673,001 times
Nope. I don't shop at Wal-Mart. There isn't one in Chicago (though there was talk of one on the South Side). Before I moved here, I avoided it, too.

Wal-Mart doesn't sell American-made products like they could. Everything is made in China. I choose to buy American when I can.

The employees are treated like dirt. Lousy benefits. Poor pay. Wal-Mart depresses wages. They make so much money... they COULD spread it around a little.

They KILL small business. I prefer to shop local. That way the money stays local. Very little Wal Mart money stays in the community.

The stores are b-l-a-n-d. The same no matter where you are. Low prices, sure. But for what? I'd rather pay a little extra for quality and for the knowledge that my money will stay closer to the community.

I know some of you don't want to get into anything resembling a political discussion on it, but these aren't political points. They're truths. I don't blame you if you don't care.... but maybe you should?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM

11,300 posts, read 17,858,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Nope, don't shop there, unless it's some kind of freak emergency. I don't really have much time to shop, and I'm not big into buying 'stuff', so I shop at places that are pleasant. Target, sure. I *like* shopping there.
I don't love it or hate it.

I like to shop pleasant places too, but it depends where you live I think. Back when I lived in California the Targets were for the most part quite old and decrepit and unpleasant. The Wal-Mart I occasionally shop at in Plano is new, and clean, and very pleasant. There's a Wal-Mart supermarket in Richardson that is also OK if it is on my way home from somewhere, but the produce is icky icky. I get produce at Central Market (way out of the way) or Kroger.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,614,758 times
Walmart products are cheap for a reason. Most of the electronics they sell the manufacturer makes that model just for sale through Walmart. Stereos with a THD rating above 10%...lol, I got a flyer a few weeks ago where they had LCD TVs with 480 lines of resolution on sale, do they still make these?
Their clothes fall apart and shrink after one wash
Their food is the lowest quality available.
Their tires are only b rated at best.
Anything I want I can get better somewhere else.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,313,670 times
WALMART sucks! I am so glad I have other choices than to shop there! They would never get my business...I don't agree with the way they treat employees or manipulate their customers.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,578,362 times
I have a love/hate relationship with Wally World. On the one hand, when we had a Wal-Mart, it was crowded, full of merchandise from China, and was poorly run. On the other hand, it provided jobs, gave back to the community, and was convenient. My son was employed there and after Katrina, Wal-Mart gave their displaced employees $1,000 and offered an additional loan for $1,000. He used the money for clothes, bedding, food, an air mattress, and college books. I can't be too hard on Wally World because they helped us out when we were in a tight spot, but now that they are gone I have discovered a Target in another town. They have some of the coolest Halloween stuff!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 AM

8,372 posts, read 7,571,607 times
Target has slightly better quality clothes, electronics, and household goods than Wal-Mart at a slightly higher price. We don't buy clothes at either since they seem to wear out much sooner because of the thin material. They also sell foods at a cheaper price because they don't stock many perishable foods. A very small selection of vegetables and fruits at both. The bakery goods are also pretty crappy and smaller in size compared to the local supermarket chains. The price is often ofset by the item coming in smaller quanties or size. The big box stores (Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens N Things, and Kohl's) and the warehouse clubs (Costco and BJ's) have much better merchandise and selection but at a higher price.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,673,001 times
I'm glad WalMart helped your son. They're not evil or anything. They're a business. They do provide jobs. Unfortunately, those jobs are often low-paying with no benefits, and they run places who treat their employees better out of business.

Furthermore, when you shop locally, the money you spend stays in the community. The owners and their employees spend that money in the community, and the whole place improves. At Walmart, most of the money goes to Bentonville, Arkansas and Shenzen, China. Very little of it stays local.

Shopping isn't like manufacturing. If someone opens a factory in your town, they're pouring outside money into your community. When someone opens a store, they're getting all of the money from the citizens of your community, and siphoning large amounts of it out. The net benefit to your town is that there is less money there. That's economics. The study of scarcity.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 AM

531 posts, read 1,598,292 times
I buy some things at Wal-Mart. I also like Target,especially their housewares. For clothing I buy more at Penney's or Elder-Beerman's(when thy have sales).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products