U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM

38,066 posts, read 46,868,297 times

Advertisements

I almost never go there. I will avoid shopping anywhere where they have detectors or employees checking me on the way out to see I'm not stealing anything. I realize theft is a big problem for retailers, but there are more subtle and less insulting and crass ways of doing it. I feel my dignity is worth a few extra bucks.

If I'm shopping for something specific and I see it in their ad, I'll go. I do not enjoy the lack of ambiance, the crowds of unattractive people, and the lack of customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
I will avoid shopping anywhere where they have detectors or employees checking me on the way out to see I'm not stealing anything.

I refuse to go to stores that do this & if I am in one and they ask me to show them my merchandise and receipt, I just walk by. I'm too old for that nonsense.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,671,750 times
Well, ain't it neat that we are free to shop where we want?

If you dislike Wal-Mart, you can shop elsewhere....same freedom we all have. It's your money, spend it where you want.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM

19 posts, read 51,910 times
I love wal-mart. I worked there as a overnight stocker and still to this day shop there. But of course with my budgeting I often do go to other stores to get items that are to high priced at wal-mart.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
My name is Shirley,
I live in Weaverville,N.C. Since last April,2007 A new shopping center is to come to Weaverville, N.C. It was to have a Lowes and Walmart Supercenter. I was at a community meeting today, at a church about a mile from where i live, and two men brought up that Walmart is backing out, because they are going broke. They were asked where they heard it, but they would not say. If anyone know anything about it let me know. I was looking forward to it. E-Mail peacelily@cherter.net

Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,695,200 times
Love em or hate em it's about all we have here, so yes, we do shop there. When I lived in CA you would have NEVER caught me in a Wal Mart. They were dirty and disgusting. Here in NC they are kept up pretty well. I'm not big on shopping in crowds and the lack of personal assistance in finding certain items can be trying but unless we want to drive an hour to a decent sized town it's what we have. We do drive that hour to do our monthly shopping but go to Wal Mart for our everyday needs!! I have heard that here it is the center of the universe?? HA! My hubby and I always joke about that.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,528,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleygo View Post
My name is Shirley,
I live in Weaverville,N.C. Since last April,2007 A new shopping center is to come to Weaverville, N.C. It was to have a Lowes and Walmart Supercenter. I was at a community meeting today, at a church about a mile from where i live, and two men brought up that Walmart is backing out, because they are going broke. They were asked where they heard it, but they would not say. If anyone know anything about it let me know. I was looking forward to it. E-Mail peacelily@cherter.net
Shirleygo, trust me, Walmart ain't going broke. I read the Wall Street Journal every day and have NEVER seen anything about them going broke. (unfortunately...)

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,710,558 times
As I said on another thread. I like shopping at Walmart and I refuse to apologize for it.
It has saved me alot of time and $$ over the years. My family benefited from both of the extras.
I get quality products for quality prices.

As for the employee relations...the employees chose to work there just as I chose to work where I do.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
I don't big chain stores that much, but I especially don't like SCUMCO(Costco). They've abused eminent domain statues like no other and than they point out how they pay their employees high wages (if you call $10hr a high wage) and benefits. What they forgot to mention is they stole the land from the locals by the greasing politicians, and then getting tax breaks above that. So the wages and benefits are being subsidized by the local tax payers, but we do get to buy a 5 gallon tub of Mayonise at a relatively low price. For what ever that's worth.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,678,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ol View Post
I don't big chain stores that much, but I especially don't like SCUMCO(Costco). They've abused eminent domain statues like no other and than they point out how they pay their employees high wages (if you call $10hr a high wage) and benefits. What they forgot to mention is they stole the land from the locals by the greasing politicians, and then getting tax breaks above that. So the wages and benefits are being subsidized by the local tax payers, but we do get to buy a 5 gallon tub of Mayonise at a relatively low price. For what ever that's worth.
Tax breaks, eminent domain abuse, and greasing local politicians are all part of the package deal for most of the big box stores. Costco isn't much better or much worse than the others. Walmart and the rest pull the same crap, and STILL pay much worse than Costco...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products