U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM

101 posts, read 291,585 times

Advertisements

Between their rising prices and quest to have more part-time employees seems like these days you either love Wal Mark's or hate them.

My question for you guys is:

Do you like/and shop at Wal Mart? Do you feel they are a good deal?

Do you prefer to spend more for quality/selection on groceries?

I personally buy very little at Wal Mart. My favorite is Costco and Mejers but I don't live near one at this time. I am back to several stores for things.. like the old days. Pet's Mart for a better selection of dog food. And pretty good prices. Walgreens for cosmetics. Household items at Wal Mart. And a good old fashioned grocery store for...... groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM

502 posts, read 2,160,836 times
Default Topic has been discussed to death

You are new to the forum so you wouldn't know it but many forum member have strong opinions about Walmart. We've had threads that have been closed by the Moderators because they got so heated. Here are some links to those threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...hlight=walmart

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...hlight=walmart

Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,837,897 times
Talking On a side-note!

Is it just me or does/would anyone would ever like to be a Walmart greeter?! It'd be a morbidly interesting job for sure!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM

892 posts, read 2,216,979 times
I would greet all with "welcome to hell, have a great time" oh and "don't forget the tylenol on isle.. your gonna need it because it is so loud in here".
anyways--
When I was 16 or 17 I got a job at Millers Outpost during Christmas. I did alot of different things but one week they made me the door greeter. I quit after 3 days of that. I don't think standing in one spot all day is good at any age. I hated retail and never tried it again.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

101 posts, read 291,585 times
Default Heated.... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
You are new to the forum so you wouldn't know it but many forum member have strong opinions about Walmart. We've had threads that have been closed by the Moderators because they got so heated. Here are some links to those threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...hlight=walmart

Getting heated about a store? LOL. Some people really have too much time on their hands and not enough to think about. Pathetic.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM

502 posts, read 2,160,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
Getting heated about a store? LOL. Some people really have too much time on their hands and not enough to think about. Pathetic.
I think it is a bit harsh to say it is pathetic. People generally stumble on to this website because they are doing research on a particular state then they realize that there are discussions other than the subjects related to a particular state or city. Pretty much anything and everything is discussed here as well as even playing games. If you read the Walmart threads and then do some research on your own, you will realize that their arguments are legitimate and it is important to educate ourselves about issues that are affecting the people in our country. We are discussing how decisions or business practices held by this huge company can negatively affect people and that I believe is something worth discussing. It is not like they are discussing the relationship between Brittany Spears and Kevin Fenderline. Although, that might be fun to discuss. hmmmmmmmmm maybe I'll start a thread on that

Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 AM

143 posts, read 162,153 times
I shop at Wal-Mart once a week...I get most of my groceries there, besides fruit and meat. They have lower prices by far on the products that I buy. Yeah, it is hell sometimes, like around Christmas, but I go during the day when there aren't that many people shopping...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,599,095 times
I neither love it nor hate it... my "mega-store" of choice is Target, since I think the quality is better & their products are cuter. We also have more Targets than Wal-Marts around here, for whatever reason - closest Wal-Mart is in Newark, which is about 20 minutes from me. I've only been there once in recent years, when I had a 3am computer emergency (mouse broke while writing a term paper due the following day), and it's the only 24-hour store of that type.

If I really sit down and ponder the issues, of course I disagree with a lot of what that corporation stands for. But if I had to do that before every shopping trip, I'd never get anything done! So I just try to put politics aside, and concentrate on getting what I need & want at a decent price... I'm not a "bargain shopper", so quality usually comes first, but a good deal is appreciated too.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:45 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,599,095 times
Oh, and I shop at Safeway for my grocery needs, unless I'm feeling like a splurge... then I hit Molly Stone, Piazza's (gourmet market) or Trader Joe's. And for pet supplies, my favorite local store is Pet Food Express, which might be a national chain. I like the selection at Petco & PetSmart, but their prices are actually higher than Pet Food Express, and customer service is horrible. I also have questions about their treatment of the animals, especially at Petco...

Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,903,746 times
In this town, I do most of my shopping at Wal-Mart. I don't like it, but I like the prices a lot more then I like the prices at our other choice of stores.

We only have 3 sources of groceries in this town. Here's a comparison:

$2.79 Orange Juice, frozen concentrate $2.00 with membership card
$2.49 Orange juice, frozen concentrate
$ .99 Orange juice, frozen concentrate

All three places are the same brand. Of course, the last one is Wal-Mart.

Most all the groceries are priced conciderably lower then the other two sources.

Although there are a few things that the other stores have the Wal-Mart does have.

I get a kick out of the other stores advertising "Buy locally instead of from that chain." The store saying that is Safeway. What? They're not a chain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products