U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 AM

394 posts, read 924,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
While there is plenty of bad merchandise to be found on television I don't agree that you can't find good things on television to purchase. There are some infomercials that sell genuine products that work great, there are also shopping channels that sell a lot of great items at terrific prices. You can find scams even in stores, so it's not just a tv thing.

Best advice is to always be a cautious buyer and do your research wherever you make purchases.
good advice. the big difference between buying a bad product at a store though is you can bring it back for a refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,056,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
there's a reason these scumbags can't sell their garbage at a reputable store! oh there are a few RARE exceptions, but for the most part either the product is junk, you end up waiting MONTHS for that said junk to reach your doorstep, your likely to be overcharged, you'll come to find out the "warranty" is worthless or ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! God forbid you have problem, you can't take it back to the store and they [THE SCUMBAGS] know it. all you have is a worthless "customer service #" that noone will answer.

with the exception of a music cd club years ago, i've never bought anything directly from tv and probably never would, but i've heard the horror stories and it pisses me off. how do they get away with it!

at the very least:

do your homework before you buy it. there are websites like infomercialscams.com or infomercialblogs.com where you can read feedback on the products you're interested in.

at the very very VERY least:

DON'T USE A BANK CARD, A CHECK OR A MONEY ORDER! ONLY USE A REAL CREDIT CARD! your credit card company [visa a/e m/c etc.] may be your only recourse in getting your hard earned money back from these parasites.

sorry for sounding preachy, but this situation eats me up. where's my ralph nader pin?

I've seen many of them...and over the years have purchased 3.
The Winsor Pilates CDs
Alexis Vogel cosmetics
Anthony Robbis Edge

I used 'em up! Loved them! Lost the CDs in a move, used up my cosmetics - my family thought I was a knock out and looked like a million bucks, and the Edge...was just because I didn't have any friends...still don't. But the Edge has shown me I'm just fine the way I am.

Other than that...those infomercials are great for entertainment and a good laugh.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM

394 posts, read 924,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I've seen many of them...and over the years have purchased 3.
The Winsor Pilates CDs
Alexis Vogel cosmetics
Anthony Robbis Edge

I used 'em up! Loved them! Lost the CDs in a move, used up my cosmetics - my family thought I was a knock out and looked like a million bucks, and the Edge...was just because I didn't have any friends...still don't. But the Edge has shown me I'm just fine the way I am.

Other than that...those infomercials are great for entertainment and a good laugh.
ya i must admit anthony robbins infomercials alone got me pumped up. talk about charisma!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 AM

86 posts, read 304,485 times
Check this out for a classic infomercial blooper ->
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhMfzc9RbU[/url]

I can't stop laughing even if I watch it over and over again.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM

142 posts, read 519,364 times
How about that guy actor who played on "Chips" (can't remember his name) and he's in an informercial trying to sell some property somewhere.....PULEEEEZE!!!! Who would be stupid enough to fall for that?!

The only things we ever bought was that 3-in-1 Robi (it's like a weed wacker thingie and a trimmer), and the Ab Rocket (wait, we bought this at BJ's, but it's also seen on tv too) . We were/are very happy w/ these products, fortunately.

My poor parents got suckered into this Direct Buy thingie. They're talking to 2 attorneys this week. Unfortunately, they never researched into it and all research on the internet points to SCAM. Membership cost $6K!!!! Such a shame. I wish they would have done their research and mom is kicking herself in the butt for not listening to her instincts that something didn't seem right during the presentation thingie they had to go to. Someone said there was conversation on these boards somewhere about a class action lawsuit going on (an attorney chimed in)...but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere. I would have liked to find that info. for my parents.

But bottom line: Informercials are, for the most part, nothing but SCAMS!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,809,108 times
I bought the Orange Clean and Oxiclean stuff when it was on an infomercial. It was awesome and I loved it! Then they began mass producing the stuff and selling it in Walmart... doesn't work as well anymore, so I stopped buying it.

I bought one of those choppers - you spin the top and wahlah- Salsa! It sucked and I had to return it.

My MIL bought me a Magic Bullet last year for my birthday- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

From QVC: mineral makeup (love that stuff), bought a remote control insect for my ds for Christmas (extended guarantee til after Christmas), clothes (bad fit) and a purse (which I love and get lots of compliments on.

Absolutely LOVE my Foreman grill - I'm on my second one and will definitely replace it if it wears out. (First one lasted 5 years, use at least once a week - sometimes more)

I research these things though too. The putty they're selling for $19.99 - sold at Walmart under another name for $3.99. Didn't know it existed though before I saw the infomercial. The noki footpads - SCAM!

I was tempted by those all in one cookers - then read the reviews - it was a modern shape for a pressure cooker. My other MIL bought me the pancake pan (not the new puff one) - didn't like it. My dh bought me the rounded/dome cake pan - didn't like that either. I have a foodsaver -again, from my MIL. I love it, but only use it 3-4x a year. It's old though (7 years) - the new ones (sold in Target) look much easier to use.

I do want to get my stepmom and MILs the "Aqua Globes" for Christmas- but they're sold in Target now. Still have to check out the reviews online. I also am very interested in the shammy thing - but again, I have to check out the reviews.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
The shammys are AWESOME ( I think they're called Sham-wows). My dad's a mechanic and car dork and buys them like a normal person would buy rolls of paper towels. They do work great though, I can dry my car quickly after washing. My best friends mom has a 'red devil' portable gas cooker thingie and she absolultely adores it. The George Forman grills...well..we have two. The best for grilling chicken breasts for salads and sandwiches.
Now I'm sounding like an infomercial....

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,399,906 times
Not all infomercial products are bad. WalkFit Orthotics have a horrible, cheesy informercial. But I bought a pair of them at Bed, Bath & Beyond last year and they do help--I've got a fallen arch and these allow me to take walks again.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 4,082,590 times
I agree that not all infomercials are bad...

look at Bare Minerals makeup. The founder started to sell the items on infomercials, created a following and now the products are a HUGE hit and are found at their own stores in malls, sephora and ulta...

Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,548,677 times
I was off from work sick a sgort time ago and stayed upo late watching television. I couldn't believe now the commericals changed . I mean it was like suddenly they wre playing to a stupid aidience. So mnay get rich quick scams and buying a house for $200 dollars. Reminds me of the old governamnt surplus scams where they sent people listing that they could have gotten from the government for free and charged a fee. Reminds you that old Barnum was right years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products