U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM

4,101 posts, read 7,818,829 times

Advertisements

Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. These infomercials create jobs for many people in various parts of the country who answer inbound calls. Ending these infomercials would further affect the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,441,023 times
The only thing I ever bought on the strength of an infomercial was those green bags that retard food spoilage. The worst part of the experience was the endless time it took to place the order by phone and the countless "enhancements" they try to get you to sign up for. But when they arrived my biggest gripe was how narrow the bags are and you can't really tell that on the TV. The foods they are meant to contain are so much wider than the bags except for loose things like strawberries etc. But the bags actually work although only for a limited number of times per bag and then their functionality is depleted. But I still use them from time to time.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,601,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
there's a reason these scumbags can't sell their garbage at a reputable store! oh there are a few RARE exceptions, but for the most part either the product is junk, you end up waiting MONTHS for that said junk to reach your doorstep, your likely to be overcharged, you'll come to find out the "warranty" is worthless or ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! God forbid you have problem, you can't take it back to the store and they [THE SCUMBAGS] know it. all you have is a worthless "customer service #" that noone will answer.

with the exception of a music cd club years ago, i've never bought anything directly from tv and probably never would, but i've heard the horror stories and it pisses me off. how do they get away with it!

at the very least:

do your homework before you buy it. there are websites like infomercialscams.com or infomercialblogs.com where you can read feedback on the products you're interested in.

at the very very VERY least:

DON'T USE A BANK CARD, A CHECK OR A MONEY ORDER! ONLY USE A REAL CREDIT CARD! your credit card company [visa a/e m/c etc.] may be your only recourse in getting your hard earned money back from these parasites.

sorry for sounding preachy, but this situation eats me up. where's my ralph nader pin?
My Chia Pet is offended.

Don Lapre, the guy who sells this program on putting "Little ads" in the newspaper is a big scammer.

Be Wary of Don Lapre, Doug Grant, and "The Greatest Vitamin in the World"k

There is an index for every product on TV and the complaints about the products.

http://www.infomercialscams.com/

Last edited by titaniummd; 10-13-2008 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 759 times
Default How can people fall for this

How do I block all this garbage? I am sick of paying for 150 channels that are nothing but crap. Wake up! You can't rub yourself with magic cream, put on a some kind of girdle and wake up 20 pounds lighter! Put the fork down! And the magic hair removal is from the company MM. ITS SANDPAPER! And the magic bullet? Purees EVERYTHING. No chopping. And pajama pants? Really? I could go on and on. The few times I watch TV, I am bombarded with this [mod] language removed [/mod]. Are people this stupid?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-20-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,687,430 times
The last time I purchased anything from an infomercial it arrived, I inflated it, put lipstick on it and then it popped.
No more sex dolls for me!!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:10 PM

8,347 posts, read 6,144,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
there's a reason these scumbags can't sell their garbage at a reputable store! oh there are a few RARE exceptions, but for the most part either the product is junk, you end up waiting MONTHS for that said junk to reach your doorstep, your likely to be overcharged, you'll come to find out the "warranty" is worthless or ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! God forbid you have problem, you can't take it back to the store and they [THE SCUMBAGS] know it. all you have is a worthless "customer service #" that noone will answer.

with the exception of a music cd club years ago, i've never bought anything directly from tv and probably never would, but i've heard the horror stories and it pisses me off. how do they get away with it!

at the very least:

do your homework before you buy it. there are websites like infomercialscams.com or infomercialblogs.com where you can read feedback on the products you're interested in.

at the very very VERY least:

DON'T USE A BANK CARD, A CHECK OR A MONEY ORDER! ONLY USE A REAL CREDIT CARD! your credit card company [visa a/e m/c etc.] may be your only recourse in getting your hard earned money back from these parasites.

sorry for sounding preachy, but this situation eats me up. where's my ralph nader pin?
Oh yeah, love your post, even though people might think of it as a rant.
My spouse almost had me sucked into one of those, {Rabbit TV}
I had to see for myself, and lo and behold, yes, too good to be true {claims}
I know this is a free country, but jeez, how can the feds, especially the FCC let these jokers get away with this?
The other thing that ticks me off is you pay for cable TV and satellite TV and after a certain time in the evening or late evening, you're paying for infomercials. arrrgggghhhh. That's worse than trying to block pop ups on a pc.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 51,948 times
Ya, for sure but I don't find laser treatment harmful

Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM

76 posts, read 108,963 times
Yeah, I hate infomercials too. I can't more than four or five hours of that crap at a time!!!!

Seriously though, I do love my ShamWow, never would have used OxyClean if not for the tv, my daughter luvs her some pillowpets, and the list goes on. There is a market for everything. That's what makes capitalism work :-)

Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 AM

748 posts, read 1,444,474 times
I've never bought anything off TV but I have bought products at wlamart and other places that have been featured on TV that worked wonderfully. My two favorites were the ped egg and the bra strap clips. Just because it is sold on QVC or commercials don't make it bad. there are a lot of good quality items sold on QVC. I've seen Dooney & Bourke bags, Sephora Makeup, and other well known brands on there.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM

6,449 posts, read 8,070,127 times
We have a department store that has an entire section (in the basement!) devoted to "As seen on TV" stuff. It's a great place to spend a half hour when you can get to actually see the quality of the item before you decide if you want it. That's where I saw Pajama Jeans. OMG! To think the TV ad says you can wear them out of the house!

Some items are now showing up in the Dollar Tree. Yes, for a dollar. And even then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products