U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM

394 posts, read 921,733 times

Advertisements

there's a reason these scumbags can't sell their garbage at a reputable store! oh there are a few RARE exceptions, but for the most part either the product is junk, you end up waiting MONTHS for that said junk to reach your doorstep, your likely to be overcharged, you'll come to find out the "warranty" is worthless or ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! God forbid you have problem, you can't take it back to the store and they [THE SCUMBAGS] know it. all you have is a worthless "customer service #" that noone will answer.

with the exception of a music cd club years ago, i've never bought anything directly from tv and probably never would, but i've heard the horror stories and it pisses me off. how do they get away with it!

at the very least:

do your homework before you buy it. there are websites like infomercialscams.com or infomercialblogs.com where you can read feedback on the products you're interested in.

at the very very VERY least:

DON'T USE A BANK CARD, A CHECK OR A MONEY ORDER! ONLY USE A REAL CREDIT CARD! your credit card company [visa a/e m/c etc.] may be your only recourse in getting your hard earned money back from these parasites.

sorry for sounding preachy, but this situation eats me up. where's my ralph nader pin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,722,656 times
They get away with it because people keep buying it. You can't enlighten everyone so you might as well save your breath.

I am simply amazed that people will buy expensive things like jewelry from these shows.

Lisa

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
They get away with it because people keep buying it. You can't enlighten everyone so you might as well save your breath.

I am simply amazed that people will buy expensive things like jewelry from these shows.

Lisa
i'm amazed anyone would buy ANYTHING...PERIOD!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,071,368 times
I guess I'm lucky. I don't have enough money to be sucked into a scam!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM

625 posts, read 1,441,869 times
Talking But wait...act within the next 5 minutes and you'll get...

.....a strand of faux pearls, the amazing moolee. a set of ginsoo knives, the ronco rolla measure and free shipping and we'll double you order It's real...I saw it with my own eyes....It has to be good or they wouldn't say it on TV Have you seen Willy Dazed or whatever his name is selling the cheapy 18 volt drill with a chrome-plated dog tie down as an auger. It shows someone supposedly digging up a tree stump.....I mean people pleeze...You can't even stick a tractors pto driven auger into a stump. Ah well...they prey on poor people who a deperate to get something done but can't afford to do it right and don't know any better....It's sad

Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 7,657,199 times
Hey! when you wake up in the middle of the night, half asleep everything looks sooo good. You are convinced you just have to have it. Why do you think most of these commercials are at night?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:51 AM

i found another website that people may find a handy tool for exposing scams. it's called RIPOFFREPORT.COM

Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
.....a strand of faux pearls, the amazing moolee. a set of ginsoo knives, the ronco rolla measure and free shipping and we'll double you order It's real...I saw it with my own eyes....It has to be good or they wouldn't say it on TV Have you seen Willy Dazed or whatever his name is selling the cheapy 18 volt drill with a chrome-plated dog tie down as an auger. It shows someone supposedly digging up a tree stump.....I mean people pleeze...You can't even stick a tractors pto driven auger into a stump. Ah well...they prey on poor people who a deperate to get something done but can't afford to do it right and don't know any better....It's sad
yes very sad!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 AM

2,766 posts, read 6,567,179 times
While there is plenty of bad merchandise to be found on television I don't agree that you can't find good things on television to purchase. There are some infomercials that sell genuine products that work great, there are also shopping channels that sell a lot of great items at terrific prices. You can find scams even in stores, so it's not just a tv thing.

Best advice is to always be a cautious buyer and do your research wherever you make purchases.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Hey! when you wake up in the middle of the night, half asleep everything looks sooo good. You are convinced you just have to have it. Why do you think most of these commercials are at night?
ya, ive' spent a few sleepless nights watching infomercials and i must tell ya i find them entertaining and amusing.

i especially like the ones like ronco that have an audience that's OBVIOUSLY ALL ACTORS....AND BAD ONES AT THAT. IT'S HILARIOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products