U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM

5,654 posts, read 17,543,987 times

Advertisements

By now you have all heard about the melamine in the milk scandal and now they are recalling chocolate made by Cadbury in China. Wasn't that the stuff that made it into the pet food a couple years ago. My dog got some of that, and it did not kill her but made her very very sick and weak and she died 6 months later, although she was pretty old - I can't help think that food hastened her demise.

What is wrong with this country? Plastics in the food?

All I can say is I will not buy/consume any food made or produced in China - I check labels. Check your cheaper grades of chocolate, last year I bought some for easter, before I put it in the basket, I noticed it was made in China. I threw it out.

Unfortunately there is no way to know where the raw materials they use to make stuff here comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,148,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

All I can say is I will not buy/consume any food made or produced in China - I check labels. .
Yeah, like that will help. Unless you grow all your own food, or buy exclusively local, there's no way you will succeed at this.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:42 PM

109 posts, read 711,057 times
A little off topic...but we were at a parade last month and they were handing out mini American flags and they were made in CHINA! Just seemed wrong!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:02 PM

15,085 posts, read 17,932,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
A little off topic...but we were at a parade last month and they were handing out mini American flags and they were made in CHINA! Just seemed wrong!
That's how they were able to hand-out those free flags. They were cheaply made in China from cheap materials by cheap labor!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah I do grow my own food and I do buy local from the farmers market, I always ask where it came from as sometimes they truck it in from somewhere else, which is OK to a certain point. And I refuse to buy produce from Mexico and I refuse to eat any food goods made in China. I am not trying to "help" anything.... I am just trying to prevent my family and I from getting some intestinal catastrophe.

And yes, I try and make much of my own stuff for the past year or so. Baked goods, etc.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,468,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yeah I do grow my own food and I do buy local from the farmers market, I always ask where it came from as sometimes they truck it in from somewhere else, which is OK to a certain point. And I refuse to buy produce from Mexico and I refuse to eat any food goods made in China. I am not trying to "help" anything.... I am just trying to prevent my family and I from getting some intestinal catastrophe.

And yes, I try and make much of my own stuff for the past year or so. Baked goods, etc.
Good for you! More people should try this. I also try to buy basics and make my own foods.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 AM

13 posts, read 60,291 times
Not sure whats happening to China. I pity those babies that got sick. Poor babies.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,639,282 times
I have been saying all the time that they do not care how many they kill/hurt/damage, yet the USA keeps importing. I can't help but wonder why...

Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 PM

I find it very interesting that the secretary of treasury - I forget his name - Paulson? I read he has significant business interests in China? I am sure As well as many of the financial wizards who are responsible for our current economic state.(true?) Can you say conflict of interest?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM

48,509 posts, read 85,603,587 times
Post the source is what I say or don't poass on rumors. On teh topic I think that we have had scares like this in our own country too from grown food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products