U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,107,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
When my son and I go out to dinner and order drinks he gets carded (because he's 24) and I don't anymore. So, when they card him, I beg the server to look at my ID too!
HAHHAHAA, I would do the same if I had a 24 year old!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM

27,236 posts, read 42,012,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm always happy to provide it if they ask - which is more often than not. They're keeping fraud down, which is a good thing.

I was just saying that the Visa/MasterCard merchant agreement has certain conditions that the merchant is required to abide by, and that per the terms of that agreement, a separate ID cannot be required. As long as the card is present and signed, and the signature on the card matches that on the receipt, they MUST accept the card for the purchase.

They're also not allowed to charge any additional fee or have a "minimum purchase" requirement with Visa/MasterCard. There's a LOT of merchants that do either/both of these, and it's a major pet peeve of mine...

Note that American Express doesn't have these same requirements. I'm not sure about Discover (but nobody uses that anyway ).

With self-serve registers, and self-serve pumps...they don't even have to have anyone "check" the signature!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,441,023 times
I am long past the age when I get carded but I really do appreciate being asked for ID to confirm my identity. Having been the victim of ID theft has made me ultra-cautious about things like that so when I am asked to verify who I am I am only too happy to comply and only hope everyone gets asked.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM

6,020 posts, read 13,741,330 times
I found it so annoying when they ask to see my ID when I bought a bottle of white out from Walmart!! even worse, the cashier was having issues w/ the register or something, so it took forever just to input my DOB! it seems like anything an idiot teen could sniff and get high off of, they ask for ID. pretty soon, I'll need my passport just to buy a can of Oust!. oh, and now that I'm fighting off this megacold/flu/plague, I'm not thrilled that all the good Sudafed is behind the pharmacy desk and requires you show an ID and sign something just to buy it (the Sudafed they have on the shelves suck and don't work for me!). I was in line at CVS yesterday, about to collapse from fever, trying to buy some and got stuck behind a woman apparently restocking her at home pharmacy and she had a lot of questions for the pharmacist. took 15 minutes, and afterwards, I actually had to sit down for a bit to keep from falling over!

on the other end of the counter, I worked at a store inside O'Hare. I asked a passenger if I could see and ID and he flipped out on me, saying he shouldn't have to show an ID and basically making a scene. #1: the card was unsigned; #2: he had his freaking passport IN HIS HAND! come on, really, you had to make a big stink about it for over a minute when you could have just flip open your passport in 2 seconds? you're in an airport, I KNOW you have an ID!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 AM

112 posts, read 296,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
why do some people get so bent out of shape when cashiers ask them for ID when they're buying alcohol, cigarettes, or any other age-restricted thing? (i got asked for mine the other day at Target for that spray duster stuff. thought it was odd, but handed it over anyway.)

someone on Yelp gave a local store a 1 star just because they were in their 40s and the cashier asked them for ID (i'd give them 1 star because it's a terrible store, but i digress). i know for a fact many register systems make the cashier put in a date before the items can even be rung up. i just don't see why it's so difficult to get your ID out of your pocket.

(this is also why i didn't last long at a gas station. i got sick of the stupid glares from people, even though it was store policy - and now law in Tenn. - to ask EVERYONE for ID.)
Duster gets you high, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I found it so annoying when they ask to see my ID when I bought a bottle of white out from Walmart!! even worse, the cashier was having issues w/ the register or something, so it took forever just to input my DOB! it seems like anything an idiot teen could sniff and get high off of, they ask for ID. pretty soon, I'll need my passport just to buy a can of Oust!. oh, and now that I'm fighting off this megacold/flu/plague, I'm not thrilled that all the good Sudafed is behind the pharmacy desk and requires you show an ID and sign something just to buy it (the Sudafed they have on the shelves suck and don't work for me!). I was in line at CVS yesterday, about to collapse from fever, trying to buy some and got stuck behind a woman apparently restocking her at home pharmacy and she had a lot of questions for the pharmacist. took 15 minutes, and afterwards, I actually had to sit down for a bit to keep from falling over!

on the other end of the counter, I worked at a store inside O'Hare. I asked a passenger if I could see and ID and he flipped out on me, saying he shouldn't have to show an ID and basically making a scene. #1: the card was unsigned; #2: he had his freaking passport IN HIS HAND! come on, really, you had to make a big stink about it for over a minute when you could have just flip open your passport in 2 seconds? you're in an airport, I KNOW you have an ID!
Yeah, I got carded for cold medicine, too; that's BS. Obviously, I don't want to be going to Target, I don't want to pay $6 or whatever it is for the cough medicine that I need, and I'm not making meth! If I'm buying cough medicine, I AM SICK! I flew without ID, and a 10 year old expired passport. God, my little picture was so cute, LOL.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 AM

1,559 posts, read 629,383 times
Many moons ago, my credit cards were lifted a couple of days before my wedding (shopping for clothes), and one card was used & charged over even my max at that time. It was Macys, and it took over a year to get straightened out...they took the charges off within a few months, but than kept trying to get me to pay the interest on lateness because it tooks months to clear it all up. It was a horror.
So since then, I have always put SEE ID on back of card, so when they don't ask, I look at them strangely.
I heard that Bank of America has credit cards that put your photo on the card...that seems like a cool idea. Can't go wrong there, or can you?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 PM

19,303 posts, read 20,118,248 times
Citi Bank has that too.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM

897 posts, read 2,598,942 times
I don't mind showing my ID. Actually, I wish more salespeople would ask for ID and actually match the credit card to the ID!

The "OTC" meds that are now located "BTC" are a PITA , but I don't give the cashier a hard time. I completely understand they are now required to do so.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,258,423 times
Here is an interesting article that addresses asking for ID and signing "see ID" on the back of your card.

Should you sign your credit card or write 'See ID' on it

"spokesman for MasterCard, says, "Technically, a MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder. If a person has not signed his card, the merchant technically should not complete the transaction. Visa's policy is nearly identical to MasterCard's. Visa covers this topic in its "Rules for Merchants" handbook. There is a section entitled "See ID," which says: "See ID or Check for ID is not a valid substitute for a signature. "

Also mentioned
"The card companies remind customers that the signature panel isn't just for verifying the signature. It's also used to validate the contract you have with the credit card company. By signing, you confirm that you agree to their terms."

Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,787,924 times
I got asked ID for a 15 rated video, (Castway, Tom Hanks), years ago and was very offended. I was over 20 at the time and did look it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products