U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,312,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
I got asked ID for a 15 rated video, (Castway, Tom Hanks), years ago and was very offended. I was over 20 at the time and did look it!
but why did you get offended?

i get carded for lottery tickets ALL the time, and just think its funny, since it's been almost 10 years since i was 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 AM

620 posts, read 1,799,933 times
I do not get upset when people ask for my id purchasing items,however..... I get upset when I am using a debit/credit card (and the person in front of me did the SAME thing) AND the cashier did not ask for an ID, but yet I am asked for ID. When you are NOT consistent with the policy-that is when I get mad!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,581,583 times
It doesn't happen so much here, but it does when I'm in the USA. I'm particularly offended when some pimple faced kid whose young enough to be my child asks me.

Oh and the piece de resistance? Some kid at a grocery store looked at my ID and said you were born the same year as my mum. I wanted to slap every pimple off his face.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM

261 posts, read 882,149 times
I used to work food service for a Ferry Line near my house. We were required to ask for ID when we served Alcohol. I once carded an 82 yr old Gentleman when he asked for some wine. He was delighted to show it to me, especially since he said people stopped asking Years ago! He said it made him feel young!

I was carded last year for my 35th bday. My husband, who is younger than me, did not!!! My sister in law was with us and she is my age, she was carded too. It made me feel younger, especially on my birthday.

I don't mind showing the ID when asked, but I agree that there has to be consistancy. One store will ask, yet another Store of the same name in a different location, will not. Or you go to the local drug store, one Cashier asks but the one next to you, does not.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
but why did you get offended?

i get carded for lottery tickets ALL the time, and just think its funny, since it's been almost 10 years since i was 18.
Because I clearly looked over the age of 18. The woman had served me an 18 rated film in the past, but methinks she was having a bad day.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM

30,732 posts, read 68,416,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
I do not get upset when people ask for my id purchasing items,however..... I get upset when I am using a debit/credit card (and the person in front of me did the SAME thing) AND the cashier did not ask for an ID, but yet I am asked for ID. When you are NOT consistent with the policy-that is when I get mad!
Did you ever stop to consider policy? I'm not required at Lowe's to validate a photo identification if the back of your card has a valid signature that matches the name printed on the front of the card. If the back of the card is blank, then I WILL demand to see photo ID. If you give me a hard time about it with sighing and eye-rolling, then I go extra slow just to irk you even more. It's amazing the number of people who think letting someone see your driver's license is an "invasion of privacy." At Lowe's we HAVE to see your card no matter what anyways because our registers prompt us to enter the last four digits of your card number (I think that is in place to force cashiers to verify cards).

Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 PM

8,275 posts, read 18,792,626 times
At Lowe's we HAVE to see your card no matter what anyways because our registers prompt us to enter the last four digits of your card number.

Is that for purchases or returns? Are you sure that when anyone buys something, they have to show a driver's license?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM

27,236 posts, read 42,016,701 times
I've seen the same message pop up many times. "Please hold card for cashier."

How nice and convenient, that--if I can get your card--I can just swipe it through any card reader at a grocery store or gas station, and not have to worry about anyone wanting to "check" it.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM

225 posts, read 977,718 times
FROM Karla with a K: "spokesman for MasterCard, says, "Technically, a MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder. If a person has not signed his card, the merchant technically should not complete the transaction. Visa's policy is nearly identical to MasterCard's. Visa covers this topic in its "Rules for Merchants" handbook. There is a section entitled "See ID," which says: "See ID or Check for ID is not a valid substitute for a signature. "

This is a good point and one I am glad you brought up. I had this very thing happen to me when I was buying stamps at a Philadelphia post office. The signature strip on the back of my card clearly said ASK FOR ID which I had out and ready to show her. Would you believe that she had no interest in seeing it? Her big "gripe" was that the card was not signed so in her opinion it was not valid. I mentioned to her that I work in retail myself and it was recommended to do it that way to prevent fraud/theft but she was refusing to budge. She finally relented but let me know what a big favor she was doing for me. That does make me mad. I can understand the whole thing with the terms and that but aren't we also accepting them when you fill out the application first? I think it is much better when the cards have SEE ID on the back of them so the person does have to prove they are the true holder of the credit/bank card. I just thought this postal woman made too much of a fuss about the whole issue, especially since I had my ID with me and was more than willing to show her. Plus my ID was my licence which does have my signature on it. Gotta love the USPS and their never ending intelligence and customer service expertise.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM

44,133 posts, read 54,232,860 times
I prefer that stores ask for ID on credit card purchases.

I almost always forget to sign the back of my credit card (or don't think about it).
In England, this caused one of 'em to be declined. Cracked me up - first time I'd ever seen that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products