Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times

Advertisements

why do some people get so bent out of shape when cashiers ask them for ID when they're buying alcohol, cigarettes, or any other age-restricted thing? (i got asked for mine the other day at Target for that spray duster stuff. thought it was odd, but handed it over anyway.)

someone on Yelp gave a local store a 1 star just because they were in their 40s and the cashier asked them for ID (i'd give them 1 star because it's a terrible store, but i digress). i know for a fact many register systems make the cashier put in a date before the items can even be rung up. i just don't see why it's so difficult to get your ID out of your pocket.

(this is also why i didn't last long at a gas station. i got sick of the stupid glares from people, even though it was store policy - and now law in Tenn. - to ask EVERYONE for ID.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I'm flattered when I get ID'd for something - it happens less and less to me these days, unfortunately.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
They probably consider the request a violation of their privacy or something. I am rarely asked this question except when buying something with a credit card; I am grateful for that after discovering a fraudulent charge that was made in Brooklyn while I was at work - in metro LA! Nowadays, I am almost disappointed that the cashier does NOT ask for my ID when using a credit card especially since I've written on the signature panel "See Driver's License Now!"

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I don't have a problem with ID or date of birth. I do have a problem with my social security number and phone number being out there.

No one needs my social except for banks(which is scary in itself) and the IRS. No one else needs it. My phone is a cell so I don't give it out to anyone I don't know, ever.

Lisa

Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm flattered when I get ID'd for something - it happens less and less to me these days, unfortunately.
You know you're down-sliding when even before you've got your official Senior Citizen card, the cashier at the local supermarket where they give senior discounts just assumes you're that old and yells for the manager, "DISCOUNT!"

I own a restaurant/bar and occasionally someone will come in who looks on the young side and of course we have a carding policy in case of doubt. If someone can't produce any ID in that circumstance then it's a pretty sure bet that they're underage anyway. Generally speakingI have no idea why anyone would become upset when asked for ID... Cheers!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I am rarely asked this question except when buying something with a credit card;
The irony there is that with Visa/MC, they're not permitted to require an ID. They can ask, but you can refuse and they have to accept it anyway. All that is required in order to use a Visa or MasterCard is a SIGNED credit card. "See DL", while popular (I even used to do it), breaks your contractual agreement with the issuing bank.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Consumers do not have to give phone numbers and ss#s but there really should be no issue with showing id for credit card purchases.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Consumers do not have to give phone numbers and ss#s but there really should be no issue with showing id for credit card purchases.
I'm always happy to provide it if they ask - which is more often than not. They're keeping fraud down, which is a good thing.

I was just saying that the Visa/MasterCard merchant agreement has certain conditions that the merchant is required to abide by, and that per the terms of that agreement, a separate ID cannot be required. As long as the card is present and signed, and the signature on the card matches that on the receipt, they MUST accept the card for the purchase.

They're also not allowed to charge any additional fee or have a "minimum purchase" requirement with Visa/MasterCard. There's a LOT of merchants that do either/both of these, and it's a major pet peeve of mine...

Note that American Express doesn't have these same requirements. I'm not sure about Discover (but nobody uses that anyway ).

Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
When my dad was alive, I remember he ALWAYS made a big deal about showing his receipt when we left Sam's. You'd think after years of going there he'd be used to it!!! Now that he's gone, I swear every time I go there, I always think of him.

I think it's just personality. Some people just don't get policy. I actually like it when I get carded - for anything. It makes me feel 18 again.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
When my son and I go out to dinner and order drinks he gets carded (because he's 24) and I don't anymore. So, when they card him, I beg the server to look at my ID too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products