U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 PM

253 posts, read 1,514,585 times

Advertisements

Word on the street is that CostCo might be coming to my town. Are there any major differences between the two? (Prices, selection, service, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 AM

652 posts, read 2,476,700 times
I have not been to a Costco in a yr (moved)but here is my view.

Sams club is a little cheaper. better selection of food.
Costco has more name brands and quality items. therefore a little more expensive but worth it if you are into the better stuff.
We used to have both memberships.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM

53,506 posts, read 42,896,602 times
Yeah, costco has a number of "higher end" items at great prices.
I bought a digital camera there, my son's winter coat, some dress pants etc.
My neighbor even bought a telescope there that was a super good deal according to him.

They pay their employees pretty well and have incredibly low turnover. I am constantly impressed at the intelligence, customer service etc. I get when I am at Costco and have questions etc.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,004,308 times
We have memberships in both stores and prefer Costco because we like the selection better. Meat, produce and baked good seem better and the check out and bagging process is way better. So, it's Costco for us even if Sam's is 3 miles closer.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,350,764 times
I love Costcos, and they have the best return policy.......
But also Sam's is wonderful. However, not all Sam's Clubs are the same. Of the four I have been in....one up in Vestal, New York was a big, big, favorite. It was a much larger store then our local area one. Full with all kinds of delights. Especially at Christmas time. Oh boy, I get to visit there this weekend, can't wait.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM

15,566 posts, read 36,953,259 times
I am a member of both Costco and Sams Club. I like shopping both places because each has different things (even though overall, they have the same things). Costco seems to have higher end things - if you're into getting your high end at Costco. The customer service is so much better at Costco than Sams. When I first joined Sams there was a problem with my membership and I wasn't able to make purchases on the card even though that's what I signed up for. The people in customer service didn't know how to rectify the problem. I told them just forget it and give me my money back. I don't want the membership if I can't buy gas on the card. They got one of the managers over and fixed the problem real quick. Now I only buy my gas at either a Sams or a Costco - whichever is closest to me when my car's low on gas.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,593,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Word on the street is that CostCo might be coming to my town. Are there any major differences between the two? (Prices, selection, service, etc.)
Not really, just depends on your location. They carry similar brands, though sometimes one brand is sold at one place and not the other. The food stand at Costco seems to be better. In fact, apparently you don't need to be a member, but it's cash only. The Costco I go to is pretty well run, and the employees seem happy.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM

4,626 posts, read 8,216,454 times
My problem with costco is dealing with the enormous crowds... but that may be a localized thing where I live. My buddy says the one he lives near is virtually empty all the time.

There was recently a review of Costco/Sam's/BJs. Where the reviewer went to all three places with the same list of stuff to see who had better prices, service, availability. Bj's actually came out on top. I think Costco had the lowest price though. I believe it was Inc. or Kiplinger's.... those are the two magazines I get that would do something like that.....

Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 PM

2,517 posts, read 10,005,953 times
Costco is bigger and better..more selection = better shopping experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products