Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

I have been ordering from sellers on Ebay since the late 90s. But I just had something occur that has never happened to me before!

Today I found a notice in my mailbox that $2.30 was due on a package. Now I had already paid the seller $8.85 for shipping for 5 salad plates, per her invoice, and further, paid it through PayPal. So not like I sent a check. I paid exactly what the listing said it would cost me and also what PayPal invoiced me.

And now I get this notice to pay $2.30 more.

I am highly perturbed b/c I consider the shipping charges when I bid. And we are talking some glass plates here - that sold for only $1 a piece!!!

I wrote the seller and said - How the heck did this happen?

Have not heard back from him/her.

How big of a deal should I make of this? I am highly irritated that I have to go pick up the package . . . so that alone is aggravating . . . but to have to pay more postage . . . I feel jerked around.

What would you do? Leave horrible feedback? Complain to Ebay and PayPal????

Forget it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
I would try a couple more times to contact the seller and see if you can get reimbursed. As a (former - but that's another story) eBay seller myself, I know that things can get buried in the inbox, come in while I'm on vacation, etc. Make sure you give the seller as much opportunity to respond as is reasonable, considering that they may not even get your message for a while. Leaving bad feedback should be an absolute last resort - feedback/reputation is everything to a seller.

Be patient, and I'll bet that it'll all work out. They probably just miscalculated the weight or didn't account for the packaging or something, and will be happy to reimburse you for the additional postage. I know I would in that situation.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Thank you, swagger! Yes, that makes sense - give it a few days. Not like it is something urgent.

I think what peeved me was having to head to the PO to pick the item up - even more than the additional postage due, LOL!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
i had that happen to me once. the post office did leave the package at my house, but attached was an envelope that said i had to pay like 2 bucks or something like that. The reason was because the seller had used a priority mail shipping box, but turned it inside out, and the post office knew that based on the size, so I had to pay extra shipping because the seller turned the box inside out. I just sent them a message and they paid me the extra amount via paypal and it was no big deal

Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Do not pick up the package! Tell the PO to return to sender! Then go to your Pay pal account and tell the to dispute it! Easy! Don't let them jerk you around! I would however give that person a couple of days to respond before you do anything. Sometimes it takes time to get someone to respond!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
I'd pick it up, then tell the person. If that does not work, tell EBAY about it. File a complain ! Easy as that !

I would not let it go back for $ 2.30 sorry ...

Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
I'd pick it up, then tell the person. If that does not work, tell EBAY about it. File a complain ! Easy as that !

I would not let it go back for $ 2.30 sorry ...
Yep exactly - I know it is a principle thing and you are upset, but if you want the itme I'd just do it... then complain and if you get no results leave negative feed back - same thing happened to me once upon a time and I was very angry as well!

Old 10-11-2008, 04:29 AM

13 posts, read 62,918 times
I will also go with the route to contact the seller 2 more times and wait 2 days for each one. If no reply then see if its worth the trouble to pick up the package (will put additional cost on your part or at least some effort) but if I were you I wouldn't pick it up especially if I don't get a reply from the seller. Just complain to paypal and ebay to get your money back.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I am highly irritated about having to go pick it up as well as paying the extra postage. And it was $2.80, not $2.30, LOL. I went back and checked again and it was higher than I had realized. I had not picked it up yet b/c I wanted to see what you all had to say. I hate to give up the plates b/c they match a set I use for luncheons, but not like I will be upset about it if I never see them again.

I am wondering about that "turning the box inside out thing" may have to do w/ this . . . b/c I have heard of this causing problems before. I sure have gotten boxes that way.

What gets me is, I felt like I had been overcharged a bit to begin w/ on the postage, but when no one else bid on the item, I reasoned that the low cost of the plates offset the shipping cost. Now adding $2.80 more - well that means I spent $5. on the item and about $11. on shipping. We are not talking Waterford crystal here, LOL!!!!

Really appreciate the input b/c I was wondering if I might be over-reacting for wanting to leave negative feedback and complain to Ebay and PayPal. Of course, I do agree - give time for the Seller to reply.

As of yet, NOT A WORD.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I hope it works out for you and you do what you feel is right. I only turn boxes inside out if I am using a different shipping service and sometimes the post office boxes are just the right size and free. Girlfriend I hate to say it but you might have to own up to the postage if you want the item I have dealt with to many sellers who do business with you then cut you dry.
GOOD LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products