U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,230,378 times

Advertisements

I just started a new job at a department store. I work in the shoe department. I can not believe the things people do! Adults act like ape's trying on shoes and just throwing the boxes and shoes all over the place. They let their little ones put on ladies high heel shoe's and stomp and scoot them up and down the Isles.
It is just unbelievable!!!
Just venting.

Okie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,856,276 times
No...but then I work in retail.

At grocery stores, I neaten and straighten the shelves...and that's why I'm not welcome to come along when my girlfriend shops. "You don't work here!" is the gripe she usually gives me--if she says anything about it at all.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,230,378 times
If you think you have bought a...
"Brand New" pair of shoe's....
Actually...They are...well used !
LOL!!!
Okie

Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,641,038 times
LOL.

I mean it, I laughed out loud when I read this.

Now, I used to live in Brooklyn. We went to Macy's one year a couple weeks before Christmas. Of course the mall was very busy that day. However, I was MOST SHOCKED to see the mess in the BRA and UNDERWEAR department. They are not what I think of as major Christmas items. Well, when I walked through there, I could not believe what I was seeing. Imagine 50 women were given a $100 shopping spree they had to complete in 5 minutes or less. That is what it looked like had just gone on. It was THAT bad. The floor was literally COVERED with bras and panties. I have never seen a store look that bad, EVER, not before and not since. Especially the bra area. It was a disaster. OMG. I will never forget that mess.

Sorry, though, Okie, but messes do happen in retail. If I decide I don't want something, after all, I'm leaving it wherever I made that decision, unless I was relatively close to where the item came from. I am not going to walk across a huge store to put somehting back. Not going to happen. And frankly, if everyone DID put stuff back where it belonged, lots of people would be out of work right now.......

I do try to be neat though, there is no call for people throwing things around making a mess.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,225,558 times
I am not a "slob" but I don't always put things back and sometimes as I walk the aisles of a store, like Target, I'll glance in my cart, decide I don't want to purchase something in there and instead of walking back to the display aisle for that item, I'll just put it on some other random shelf in the incorrect aisle. I did this yesterday. Decided I didn't want the cookies I had in my cart and left them in laundry detergent aisle. The way I figure it is if everyone was the perfect shopper, the stores would need less people and thus, less people would have jobs. Or maybe someone is working overtime sometimes and making seom extra money? I don't know.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,856,276 times
Yep, and I can remember finding meat and half-eaten produce hidden behind cans and boxes on the shelves at grocery stores.

Thanks for that.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM

14,425 posts, read 21,256,581 times
You think that's bad??? Try working at a restaurant!!! I wonder what these people's houses look like???? Disgusting

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM

1,559 posts, read 627,707 times
Sorry Okie, I am guilty as well at times. My daughters have & one still does try on the high heel shoes, but I don't leave the area in shambles. We put all back together & either stack it, or put back on shelf.
In the store, things I don't want I give to the register person, so they have my throw backs. Wrong, but I found something else I wanted more to spend my money on.
But Mommytotwo...I know where you are coming from...I have seen scenes like that myself. Very Funny, great visual.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,286,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No...but then I work in retail.

At grocery stores, I neaten and straighten the shelves...and that's why I'm not welcome to come along when my girlfriend shops. "You don't work here!" is the gripe she usually gives me--if she says anything about it at all.
Same.

Also, i try to clean up after myself when I'm out eating.

unfortunately, there's plenty of people that find it too difficult to clean up after themselves.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,429,731 times
Having worked in retail myself years ago, I am very conscious of not leaving behind a mess. If I try on clothes that I don't want I at least return the items to the hangers and remove them from the dressing room to a rack nearby so they can be properly restocked. I would never leave clothes on the floor. As for shoes, I would at the very least place the pair of unwanted shoes on top of the box from which they came. Bras are another story though, they are hard to rehanger if you don't know how they go so I at least hang the bra around the top of the hanger so it can be redone properly - never on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products