Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times

Advertisements

I'm on the verge of buying a food processor. I've wanted one for years and never got around to it. My main interest in getting one is to make hummus and bean spreads, mix dough, and make mixed salads. I looked at some Cuisinart models at a kitchen store today and was shocked at the prices - I guess I had some notion that if you can pick up a blender for $50, then a food processor should be around the same price. Not! A good quality model starts at around $150 - the prices on the Cuisinart website are the same as the store I was in.

I'm looking for a quality machine without cheap plastic parts that will snap after a few uses. I see cheap food processors online, but I'm not wasting my time with inferior crap. This is something I intend to use many times a week. I see dinky-looking food processors at the thrift stores all the time for a few dollars - there's probably a reason for that. The model I'm interested in is pictured below - it retails for $179.

I'd love to hear any comments or recommendations on food processors. What do you use them for? Ease of clean up? Longevity?

Thanks.

http://www.cuisinart.com/share/img/full/401_full.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
I have seen Cuisinart food processors at Goodwill... but you have to hunt and keep your eyes peeled and be patient. (Now, if I ever see a Cuisinart mixer in red and chrome at a thrift store I will die and go to heaven!! )

I was happy for years with a Black & Decker model but I used it almost exclusively for hummus (we're big hummus eaters)... in fact I just bought another B&D at Goodwill that has never been used, and yes, I bought it to make hummus with.

I figure if it's under $10 it's not a big risk. I think the reason you see them in thrifts is the same reason you see juicers and espresso machines. People think they're going to use them a lot, in reality they use them 3 times the find it's too much trouble. That or folks receive them as gifts and pass them on to Goodwill. My grandma had an espresso machine in her cabinet for 5 years that she'd been given as a housewarming gift and used once. I got all gung ho about the whole juicing craze several years ago and bought a juicer but after realizing what a PITA it was to clean it up after making carrot or orange juice, I donated it to Goodwill as well.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose, but there's my 2 cents.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have seen quite a few like new food processors at thrift srtoes. Many are very expensive models.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I bought a different model of the Cuisinart food processor. It has a heavier squared base. It works great. I also make hummus with mine, plus refried beans, dips, lots of yummy desserts. When I bought it, it came with a gift card for $25, plus it was on sale, so the final price was $59.

I also have a juicer, plus a heavy duty blender to make green smoothies with. I just love all these gadgets. I just wish I had more counter space to store them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products