U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM

6,586 posts, read 15,904,708 times
My 14-year-old wants a new computer for his room. His current one is 4 years old.

I got him a Wii about 6 months ago and he NEVER plays it. We will sell it back to Gamestop and use that money to help pay for the computer. (He is a gamer, XBox 360 and World of Warcraft, and I think the Wii is for non-gamers.)

He just had a birthday and he got a new bike ($350!! yikes!!! who knew bikes got so expensive).

His cell phone is a necessity and I only replace it when the current one is broken or lost, so I don't tie that into birthday or Christmas and he doesn't get to have a fancy one and he doesn't get text messaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,364,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My 14-year-old wants a new computer for his room. His current one is 4 years old.

I got him a Wii about 6 months ago and he NEVER plays it. We will sell it back to Gamestop and use that money to help pay for the computer. (He is a gamer, XBox 360 and World of Warcraft, and I think the Wii is for non-gamers.)

He just had a birthday and he got a new bike ($350!! yikes!!! who knew bikes got so expensive).

His cell phone is a necessity and I only replace it when the current one is broken or lost, so I don't tie that into birthday or Christmas and he doesn't get to have a fancy one and he doesn't get text messaging.
As a word of advice, don't trade your Wii in at Gamestop. You would be way better off selling it on Ebay or Craigslist than you would get from Gamestop. As it gets closer to Xmas, Wii's are gonna be hard to find again, would be easy to unload

Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,950,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Is there a such thing as a decent digital camera for less than $40? (don't laugh)
I'm not laughing. Go to ebay and take a look around there. Put "digital camera" in the search block and have at it. Whenever I can't find something, I turn to ebay and always get it there.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM

3,787 posts, read 5,240,321 times
Alice, I think I will although I try to stay away from ebay, lol. It's a sickness.

FarNorth, WOW. $350 for a bike?! I was mad b/c I paid $150 3 years ago, but we told him he'd have to keep it until he gets a car.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM

6,586 posts, read 15,904,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Alice, I think I will although I try to stay away from ebay, lol. It's a sickness.

FarNorth, WOW. $350 for a bike?! I was mad b/c I paid $150 3 years ago, but we told him he'd have to keep it until he gets a car.
Yes! It was the cheapest mountain bike the bike store had. Amazing. We should have gone to a pawn store.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:06 PM

3,973 posts, read 4,799,420 times
Smile Family Gifts?

Love the Wii!!

What other ideas for family gifts? (the whole family)

Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 AM

652 posts, read 1,738,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Love the Wii!!

What other ideas for family gifts? (the whole family)
we did a really nice volleyball net last yr for a family gift. ($200)
we also camp so sometimes we'll buy something for that as family gift.
Oh, we also used to have seasons passes to Bush gardens. Santa brought those every yr.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 AM

652 posts, read 1,738,493 times
Both my kids (13 & 7) just had bdays. the 7 yr old has a $50 gift card. I had him look through the sunday paper yesterday for ideas of what to buy. He doesnt have a ton of toys so I wanted him to use the money for toys instead of a wii or ds game.

anyway... dd was looking with him and they decided they should start thinking about xmas gifts as well. to my surprise dd started writing down fairly reasonable things. girls boxers, cute nighties, make up, shaving supplies, parfume, etc. usually she is the one that wants expensive things. she did of course have the ipod nano on her list, but knows it wont happen. Just because we think it is a waste of money.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 AM

620 posts, read 1,288,463 times
Teens are sooo hard to buy for, especially when they have just about everything under the sun. Both of my teens said they want clothes and money. The catch is my older one really would prefer to pick them out.

Its hard to come up with creative things that will get them excited when they open up their gifts. Now my little guy will be excited just getting a box to play with! Half the time, the older ones change their mind about what they want.

One item that I decided to get my older son is a pair of BOSE IPOD earphones. My dh and I have them and they do make a huge difference. I know it is something my son would like too.

I hope the ideas keep coming on here!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 AM

12,431 posts, read 17,537,626 times
Mine are probably getting gift cards for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products