Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times

Advertisements

Stumbled Upon this topic and thought I'd give it a read. As a 21 year old with no kids, I'd say a lot of your thoughts and plans for Christmas seem good.

If your kid likes skateboarding, find out if they need a new board, trucks, wheels or even shoes. Clothing is big in the skateboarding scene. This goes for any outdoor sporting-ish activity though. Biking, basketball, whatever. Get something related, or get some tickets to a game, check around for local events.

I read someone said something about a new computer, computers aren't cheap these days. Especially if you're wanting a good one. TigerDirect is selling this one PC that is very good and pretty cheap too for what it is. At $700 you may think it's a bit too steep, but believe me it's better than any cheap Dell that you'll get and if your son is into PC gaming, or gaming in general then this is the PC to get.

Copy and paste link for PC:
[url]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138011&Sku=SYXS-DG-038800[/url]

Video Games: If you're hesitant about video games because you think they're a waste of time, stop. I grew up in the video game age and am in the game industry. If your kid is a gamer, get involved, play some games. The Wii is a great console for families with young ones, but not the best for teens. I saw mentioned Rockband and Guitar Hero, both great games (though expensive) for your kids AND family. My parents even bought a Wii just to play Rockband by themselves. Find out what kind of games your kids are into, there's a lot out there. And this holiday season is the time when a lot of new ones are released. Oh, and if you're planning on selling/trading anything video game related item, I would (agreeing with someone else here) definitely stay away from Gamestop/EB Games. They cheat you out of money when it comes to selling/trading with them. Check Ebay or craigslist, you can most likely get close to full money back. Way more than the few bucks you'd get from Gamestop/EB.

Gift cards are always nice, especially if it's for a store that they'll actually buy something from. For me being a big electronics nerd, Best Buy is my prefered gift card. I've gotten Walmart before - not the most desired, but it could work.

Clothes: Yeah, don't go out an buy a bunch of clothes unless you KNOW what they want. If you wonder why your kid wears what he/she wears, you probably don't know. If that's the case, take a weekend to go out browsing and tally up how much you think you'd spend on clothes for your kids for Christmas, and then for your present just give them that amount and take them out shopping. My folks never did this with me, just thought it'd be a good idea. Much better than going ahead and buying a bunch of clothes for your kids, have them seem really excited and grateful just to not ever wear them. And then they feel bad about not telling you that they don't like the clothes so not only do you not return the clothes and get something they want, you've just wasted money on clothes that sit in their closet for 4 years with tags on them........ but I digress.

MP3 player: There are some cheaper ones out there than the iPod and Zune. Best Buy should have some on display. But I saw someone mention this was a waste of money as well... if they're into music I don't think it is. I've got 10,500+ songs in my library and to be able to take that Anywhere is just great. I know they may not drive yet, but once I got my MP3 player I completely forgot about CDs, it's way more convenient.

A camera is a cool idea, great idea for girls - they like pictures. If it's a boy, and he has a cellphone with a camera, that'd probably already be enough. Unless! - he likes taking pictures. Then getting a decent point and shoot camera would be a good idea. My old room mate got really into taking pictures from a point and shoot, and over the course of a year or two he's upgraded to a $800 camera with different lenses and has started his own photography 'studio'.

If they're really into anything, think of it as an investment, because there are careers for anything out there these days. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:55 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
cow, AWESOME post. Thank you!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I tend to get gift cards because they like to pick out their own clothes plus get more for their money after Christmas with the sales. But I was forwarded an email with a list of stores that will be closing so that has me worrying about GC this year.

I know my oldest will be getting gas cards there is no worry of gas going away anytime soon here in the USA. In fact we are under $2 per gallon now!

Plus Santa will stuff their stockings and something special wrapped under the tree.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,242 times
cow- great post, mostly coming from someone just out of the teen scene!
I was the one that said I think the IPOD itself is a waste of money. That is just my opinion though. I dont believe other comparable MP3 players are. I think with the IPOD you are just spending your money on the name and then spending extra for all the gadgets. But talking about that I am planning on getting my 13 yo a nice mp3 this year. I bought her a cheap one a couple of years ago, and she now needs something with more space.

any thoughts out there on a specific one and also an alarm clock that it can be hooked up to? She still has a hello kitty alarm clock and has been hinting towards wanting another.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
I'm getting my 14 yr old son the new World of Warcraft expansion pack (it's an online game) and maybe an Xbox 360 game. His bday is Jan 2nd, so probably another game then, or money. I was considering getting a basketball hoop instead, but I don't know yet. I never buy clothes for Christmas, as I feel like clothes are a necessity that should be purchased when needed. Of course that may change as my daughters approach their teenage years.

I think you could find a $40 or less camera, although it might take some legwork. A lot stores are doing early Christmas sales, so it might be easier to start shopping next weekend as opposed to waiting until Nov 28th when the stores are packed and you have to wait in line @ 4am to get a specific item. I've NEVER wanted something that bad

Some sports-related stuff sounds like a good idea for your son if that's what he's into. What about a gift card to a sports store?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:19 AM

4 posts, read 8,851 times
Great post cow!

And some great ideas in this thread....
I know Five Below will be a stop for me, for sure.....lol.

Another good teen idea that's fairly inexpensive and really original....
Personal info cards for teens. It's like a business card for teenagers.
You can customize it with your teen's name, chat names, myspace page..etc.
Obviously, because it's my idea, I think it's fantastic, but in all seriousness, I really think this would be a hit. The hardest part would probably be getting your teen's info without looking like your snooping. lol. Maybe purchase the cards, but hold off on having them designed...let the kid do it themselves? Just a thought..anyway, here's the website.

ataglancegraphics.com

Great thread! You can get some really great gift ideas from these kind of threads. Love it!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
My son almost 15 wants the Perfect Pull Up and teeth whitening.

As for gifts from family members, he would prefer the money so he can save it towards a car in a few years. 18 in NY to drive.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
Just picked up that Flipz video recorder at Costco today. It will go under the tree with all 3 of their names.

18 year old son got a new laptop in September cause he just started college but he was told it was for Christmas. He'll get a few clothes too.

17 year old daughter is getting an acoustic guitar she can also plug in & a big surprise is the IPod touch because her old one broke.

12 year old will get a bunch of Wii & DS games. & a bunch of games & science lab put together thingies. I am saving the new bike for her January B-day but it won't cost any where near $350! LOL!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
No kids here but have nieces and a nephew, they are getting a gift card. I plan to check the Five Below though (have a little thing to add for the girls but need something for nephew).

I'm usually someone that LOVES to get the perfect gift, but they all live out of state, misc. sizes, not sure of interests, etc. - just going to bow down to the gift card.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Getting my niece a journal. She likes to write and only has notebooks to do it in. Getting my nephew a subscription to a video game magazine. Some parents I know get their teenagers to get a job and once working, they take the teen off their cell phone plan and let them get the cell phone of their choice or give them a prepaid phone. It teaches them the value of money if they have to pay for it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products