Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 AM

157 posts, read 653,702 times

Advertisements

We're looking at buying one of two refrigerators but both are relatively new so there aren't as many reviews on them as I'd like, and the few reviews on them that I can find are all mixed. Some love, some hate.

Both are french door style. Both are close to 25 cu ft. The samsung is a stainless steel "look" and the kenmore is actual stainless steel. I honestly don't care much about the metal used but am more concerned about the quality of the product. We've had Samsung products in tv's, phones, etc but never a fridge. Kenmore, while we've never owned anything they've been around a long time making fridges but I HATE and LOATH Sears (the owner of the brand name)...but, I'm willing to buy a Kenmore fridge if it turns out to be the better product because we'd literally be getting a deal on it that is very hard to pass up.

Price isn't an issue because the two stores we've priced the products at have given us enough of a discount incentive that they end up less than $100 in price difference.

The Samsung is model RF267ABPN

The Kenmore Elite is model 78753

I'm also up in the air about the ice maker position in both. In the Samsung the icemaker takes up an entire section of shelf space on the top and also a section in the door, but it holds more ice. The Kenmore takes up most of the door but leaves me the shelf space, but obviously holds less ice at one time.

Anyone that can give some personal input on either of the models would be greatly appreciated. We have to decide by Thursday which one we want and I am not sure which way to go. I like both but want to pick the one that is going to be more reliable/long-lasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,759,398 times
Can't help you on those two but Kenmore IS a good brand no matter how much you loath Sears.

I've owned older used Kenmore fridges. My new one is a Whirlpool though that I bought earlier this year but it is not the French Door. The one before that we still have as the "new" garage fridge is a GE. I was leaning HEAVILY to that style but after asking our local appliance shop about it I backed off. The ice thing bothered me as it took up a lot of room. I was scared of what the freezer drawer was going to look like after kids and everyone else just "dropping" stuff down there and not actually taking the time to oragnize it. All I saw was a bottomless pit. I really wanted the WIDTH of the fridge that the French Door provides (Thanksgiving Turkey, cakes and baking and such). Here is what the appliance guy told me: 1. They have not been out that long so the "kinks" are still getting worked out on them. 2. It has to work harder to have the freezer on the bottom because of where the components are (don't remember all of the fine details on this one but it made a LOT of sense when he described it).

This is why I LOVE using a store that deals solely on these kinds of products. Most of the time the sales guy in the appliance dept at a large big box store only knows that the fridge is where he finds the cold beer. I want the info from someone that WORKS with them all day long from EVERY angle and vantage point. They see the actual numbers of complaints, repairs, returns, etc. Even if your not going to buy from one find one close by you and go visit them and see what they have to say when you compare the two your looking at. Most of the time they are locally owned and VERY competitive in pricing so you might get lucky

Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,711,617 times
I have a Kenmore and it is an excellent label; however, even salespeople will tell you that (depending upon the model), it can be made by LG, GE, or even Samsung, for example.

Consumer Reports had an issue on Kitchen Upgrades. Most importantly is to look for the following:
Reliability
Energy costs / year
Features
Size of refrigerator

Refrigerators: Refrigerator Reviews, Best Refrigerators

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM

Well, I do know that Samsung also makes the GE products and LG makes Kenmore products...but unfortunately that doesn't help me decide any

Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM

714 posts, read 2,299,594 times
We love our Kenmore SS refrigerator. I have found the Kenmore brand to be very reliable in general. The Kenmore fridge we purchased is indeed a rebranded LG product.

Edited to add: Our Kenmore refrigerator has the icemaker in the freezer in the bottom. The main complaint I read about the refrigerator was that the icemaker would overflow and so when you opened the freezer door, stray ice cubes would fall to the refrigerator base. We just turn off the ice maker after it's filled most of the way up. We don't go through much ice so the ice lasts us for awhile. Also the icemaker position means there's plenty of space up top.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 PM

Well, we decided on the Kenmore model that I listed above because I walked into the store tonight and told the salesman that at their other store they were going to give it to me for this particular price but I'd buy from him if he'd beat it and sell it to us tomorrow rather than waiting til their sale on Sunday night...sure enough, we're getting the fridge for $750 of the retail price...working with commissioned salespeople is always great lol

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
I have had all fridg, that you could think of, NOT ONE COMAPRES TO MY 29 CU FT. RFG298AAPN SAMSUNG
The best and largest frig, i could of ever dreamt of owning, i luve it.
Twin ice maker, holds more and makes more the any standard ice maker
holds one bottle of wine with a rack
huge crispers, with separate controls they are deep
5 huge convertible shelves
5 door shelves, that does hold my milk if i choose it to be there
Twin colling system
Cool select panty, my favorite, holds a 1/2 sheet cake no problem, huge platters, a ex large pizza no problem, it holds everything and then some. With custom sel temp
LED lighting
Power Freeze Power Cool options
Surround air flow for even temp thruout the frig Great reveiews
The largest freezer bigger then any side by side we have ever owned, and we have owned them all. this is one frig, that i actually love, the bottom drawer slides out when you pull up on the handle, comes out on its own. It holds so much food, you would be amazed. Two friends loved the fridg so much they each both the smaller version at 25.5 cu ft. To actually get a fridg that holds everything is just great.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 PM

I never did update this. We went in to buy the Kenmore and ironically enough, that one in particular was on recall for something. So, somehow our saleswoman talked her manager into selling us a samsung that we were looking at for the EXACT same price as the Kenmore we were originally going to buy. The kicker was - the Samsung was $1500 more in retail price than the Kenmore. It's been great! We've had it for a year and 2 months now and we love it. It's a 29.5 cu ft fridge and not only have we NEVER had a single problem with it, but sometimes I wonder if it's possible to entirely fill that fridge!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:48 AM

5,093 posts, read 12,558,116 times
I am so gladto hear that you both love your Samsung refrigerators as I just bought the 26 Cu ft model but will not get it until next week.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM

I will say that Samsung as a company overall has been great. I've called for questions about my fridge and they were happy to talk to me about everything. And every other samsung product we own has been just as good. Almost all of our electronics are from them so there's no doubt in my mind that you'll be happy with it when you get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products