Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastBound View Post
Ok - so I have been an artificial tree girl for 12 yrs now and I do not know the 1st thing about real trees. I just know what a pain it was for my parents to out it up, buying it too big and my dad always having to go back out and cut it shorter and shorter.

1 -I have 8 foot ceilings and my tree topper is about 8 inches tall, I do not have a tree stand so I do not even know how tall those are. What size of tree would I need to avoid having to make multiple cuts? I do not have a saw.

2 - When is a good time to buy one? I do not want it to die before christmas...

3 - Due to fear of a dead tree at christmas, how much should I water it?

4 - What is a good tree to buy? I have quite a few very heavy ornaments.
I would purchase your tree one week or a week and a half before christmas, water water water it, you don't want it to dry out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Even if you just cut down the tree and have a half hour ride home. Still make another 1" cut on the bottom. That area must not "seal" if it does, that tree will not drink.......MOST important.
We all seem to love the frasier fir the best. Sturdy tree and room for ornaments....Second we like the noble fir, probably the next is the blue spruce....but they are real picky...oh yes.
We always put a fresh tree up about the 10th of December. If we have left it in the garage after purchase ( in water) we then still make that second cut.
Give yourself room for the stand and the topper..........
Happy tree hunting. The farms are a family tradition for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products