U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Status: "Oh wait, what's this?" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,222 posts, read 18,579,533 times
Reputation: 8078

Advertisements

This thread is an offshoot of my "I Love Wal*Mart" thread. Some people are apparently incapable of staying on topic and feel the need to bash Wal*Mart at every opportunity - even in a thread that's specifically designated as a place to post positive aspects of the company. Since they couldn't be bothered to go find one of the dozens of other threads dedicated to bashing Wal*Mart, I started this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Your list is a good example of why some people, unfortunately a minority, do not support Walmart.

Auto supplies: POOF! There goes the auto parts shop where the guy remembers what car you drive the moment you walk in with a question.

Vitamins: POOF! There goes the vitamin and natural food merchant who took the time to teach you what might help and what doesn't.

Gardening supplies: POOF! There goes the lifelong master gardener who started a business to share his knowledge.

Dog food: POOF! There goes the pet supply store owned and operated by people who truly care about animals and can offer you the best product for your pet.

And on and on and on. Instead what you get is some trailer trash moron working for minimum wage who directs you to the dog food on aisle 237 - that's it. And your choice comes down to whatever Walmart decided would be most profitable for the third quarter.

Starting a post like this can only trigger comments from those of us who see Walmart as a global evil that is destroying the livelihood of so many communities.
You're wrong, for a couple of reasons.

First reason - you need to read this and discover that you've been totally brainwashed on this issue. Don't try to continue this line of argument until you've read that study - it will only make you look foolish.

Second reason - "The guy remembers what car you drive the moment you walk in" will still be there and still get business, because he's providing personalized service. "The vitamin and natural food merchant who took the time to teach you what might help and what doesn't" will still be there and still get business, because they've specialized, as well as providing personalized service. "The lifelong master gardener who started a business to share his knowledge" will still be there, because he's a specialist. "The pet supply store owned and operated by people who truly care about animals and can offer you the best product for your pet" is something I have direct experience with, as the general manager of a mom-n-pop pet store that had to compete with a brand new Petco that opened up down the street. The story has already been posted - go read it to see how that worked out.

You underestimate the value placed on specialized knowledge and personalized service by the average consumer. People like it when they're greeted by name. They like it when they have one person they can work with, who remembers the details of their specific situation. This is true in everything from banking to pet stores to transportation - all of which I have experience with, working for "the little guy" and still thriving - despite the presence of competition from "evil giant corporations."

Read the study I linked to above. Educate yourself. Don't blindly accept the propaganda put forth by the unions who are doing everything they possibly can to get access to the potential billions they would stand to make if they could unionize Wal*Mart. Don't blindly accept the propaganda put forth by anti-corporate types who are only targeting Wal*Mart because they're the largest retailer in the world. Don't blindly accept anything - do your own homework and think for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Status: "Oh wait, what's this?" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,222 posts, read 18,579,533 times
Reputation: 8078
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I didn't realize that you have to pitch a tent and camp out in Walmart's parking lot to have some knowledge in reference to their business practices.
It's nice to know that they'll permit it, though.

Ever hear the phrase "knowing just enough to be dangerous"? Your having "some knowledge in reference to their business practices" is a good example of why that phrase exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Status: "Oh wait, what's this?" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,222 posts, read 18,579,533 times
Reputation: 8078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
in no way should WM receive the kind of property tax sweetheart deals they've been able to strongarm through city councils.
They don't "strongarm" anything. The various local governments WANT them there - a large retailer like that brings in large amounts of revenue for the city/county! That's why Ikea pays $1 per year for the lease on their Burbank store. It's why Fry's Electronics pays the same for the land their stores occupies that they don't own. It's VERY common for large retail businesses to get what is effectively free rent. Don't blame Wal*Mart for taking advantage of the same opportunities that every other big box retailer enjoys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
 
8,240 posts, read 15,453,779 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They don't "strongarm" anything. The various local governments WANT them there - a large retailer like that brings in large amounts of revenue for the city/county! That's why Ikea pays $1 per year for the lease on their Burbank store. It's why Fry's Electronics pays the same for the land their stores occupies that they don't own. It's VERY common for large retail businesses to get what is effectively free rent. Don't blame Wal*Mart for taking advantage of the same opportunities that every other big box retailer enjoys.
I don't know if you're on the WM payroll (wouldn't surprise me!) but here are 65 pages of how WM 'strongarms' and 'backrooms' some very lucrative backroom deals.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/pdf/wmtstudy.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Status: "Oh wait, what's this?" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,222 posts, read 18,579,533 times
Reputation: 8078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't know if you're on the WM payroll (wouldn't surprise me!)
You people are funny. On another forum, I've been accused of being on the GOP payroll (despite being very moderate in general and very socially liberal!). Now I'm on Wal*Mart's payroll. All I want to know is - Where's my check?!

Quote:
but here are 65 pages of how WM 'strongarms' and 'backrooms' some very lucrative backroom deals.
Quote:
another complication was created by the fact that the subsidy was paid not to Wal-Mart but instead to a developer. We included these cases as part of the overall compilation of subsidies to Wal-Mart
Interesting...

Again, I say that these subsidies are NOT limited to Wal*Mart. Where's your anguish IKEA, Fry's, Target, Best Buy, etc.? Certainly they're every bit as guilty.

If you have an issue with subsidies, take it up with the subsidizers, or the voters that elected them.

EDIT:

I knew the unions were behind this report.
Quote:
This report was funded in large part by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.
That's as far as I'll be getting in this report. I want to thank you VERY MUCH for proving my point by bringing this report to light - it only supports my argument that the unions are behind the vast majority of anti-Wal*Mart propaganda.

Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Status: "Well OK then." (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Somewhere.
10,133 posts, read 22,537,775 times
Reputation: 8085
The 2 things i have a problem with walmart is:

1. Workers are never available if you need them. they hide.

2. The aisles are jam-packed with people and it takes forever to get through an aisle.
But otherwise, they have some great prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Location: mass
2,905 posts, read 6,664,129 times
Reputation: 4984
Last time I went to Walmart, two things rang up wrong.

Even though it was only about $1, I went to customer service, because I figured if they screw everyone out of a dollar, that'd be a lot of $.

I waited in line so long, and got so annoyed, that I gave them all the $hit in the cart back. Well, it wasn't only because I was mad, but I had more time to reflect on where I was going to put the shelf I bought and decided it wasn't going to look that good and may as well return it.

the lines are always long. They expanded a walmart to be a super walmart, with the grocery store. boy was that great. until i went in to pick something up and waited in line. and waited, and waited. the guy in front of me with hot food, and me with, among other things, ice cream. From the line, after 15 minutes I called the store and asked for the manager. 5 minutes later he answered. The first thing I told him was he should be on a register because I had been in line on aisle 19 for over 20 minutes. Then I asked him to find someone to get me another container of icecream. the line did speed up after that.

how do they expect you to buy ice cream when it is melted before you get it out the door, forget about even getting it home. You'd have to drink it in the parking lot.

Hm. they only allow you to return 3 things per year without a receipt, but they never tell you that until you try to return item #4.

At an Orlando Walmart I was trying to buy a goofy stuffed animal and what do you know, there was no tag. The cashier was telling me to go get another one. Wtf! Can you imagine.

And finding someone that works there is next to impossible.

Now they have nail salons it them that stink.

Not to mention a freaking arcade the kids want to go into.

I do have to say at the above mentioned super walmart, they are trying to reduce energy usage. They've got cool lights in the refrigerated area that turn on when you walk by. That is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,658 posts, read 10,602,318 times
Reputation: 1286
The parking lots are always full.

Customers never put carts in the proper place so they always hit people's cars.

There are more workers than shoppers at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 AM
 
8,240 posts, read 15,453,779 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You people are funny. On another forum, I've been accused of being on the GOP payroll (despite being very moderate in general and very socially liberal!). Now I'm on Wal*Mart's payroll. All I want to know is - Where's my check?!



Interesting...

Again, I say that these subsidies are NOT limited to Wal*Mart. Where's your anguish IKEA, Fry's, Target, Best Buy, etc.? Certainly they're every bit as guilty.

If you have an issue with subsidies, take it up with the subsidizers, or the voters that elected them.

EDIT:

I knew the unions were behind this report.

That's as far as I'll be getting in this report. I want to thank you VERY MUCH for proving my point by bringing this report to light - it only supports my argument that the unions are behind the vast majority of anti-Wal*Mart propaganda.

Thank you again.
I'm sure there are all kinds of plants on CD. A WM plant wouldn't surprise me in the least.

How sad that you seem so against unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,063,904 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

How sad that you seem so against unions.

There's nothing a servile person hates as much as people who won't submit. Indeed, it's not unusual for people to hate those who resist a screwing more than they hate those who are screwing them.

I think some people are just wired that way, like worker bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top