U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,894,403 times

Advertisements

Has anybody had any experience with these heaters? In researching them I am finding good reviews but I would like to hear from people that actually have one please.

EdenPURE Store Quartz Infrared Portable Heater - Home

We have LP gas furnance with one room baseboard electric heat but our farmhouse is drafty. Even with all new Pella windows and good insulation.

What kind of heat do you use along with this heater?
How much did it save on your fuel and electric bill?
Did you notice a big increase in your electric when you started using the heater?
Do you have a one or two story house? If two, does it help upstairs if it is on downstairs?
Any problems dealing with the company for servicing or warranty work?

Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,608,306 times
There was another post regarding the Eden Pure heaters. I received one as a gift last Christmas. It does not heat our family room, and I would not purchase it. We only feel the heat when we are directly in front of it. I find that most of these heaters just don't put out the heat for the amount of electricity that they use. My husband feels that if the heater was in a small room where the door could be closed that it would work better. I just wouldn't waste the money (my personal opinion).

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

18,760 posts, read 55,897,290 times
Bottom line - ANY resistance heater will use the same amount of electricity to make the same amount of heat. Ten 100 watt light bulbs will give the exact same amount of heat as a 1000 watt Edenpure, and cost about $5 for the "heater."

The two choices you really have are radiant heat (good for warming your legs in a cavernous room) or a heater with a fan that will keep heated air from pooling on the ceiling. EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST ADVERTISING HOOPLA.

End of story. Period.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM

14,801 posts, read 46,092,307 times
What Harry Chickpea said. Matter/energy is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes form. This holds for nuclear reactors, and it holds for any kind of plug-in "box" heater. The infrared lamps and quartz crystals are just mumbo-jumbo, a 1000 W EdenPure is no better and no worse than the cheap, simple oil-filled radiators or "milk house" heaters.

Bit OT but the existance of EdenPure is a testiment to how bad our public education system is. In Russia, I don't think you could find *anybody* who would not recognize it as just an overpriced contraption that, according to the laws of physics, CANNOT do any more than any other plug in "box" heater...

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I did indeed find the other thread after I started this one. I only searched this shopping forum for Eden Pure should have searched all of CD before starting a new thread my apologies.

I did a bit of researching on the net today and found what you all have stated to be running true as well.

We use to use a kerosene heater which worked great but one of my kids are allergic so we quit that 3 years ago. I suppose we will just get an electric heater that has a fan and a thermostat on it to take the big chill off even using afghans just in the living room. We'll lose house insurance if we put in a wood or pellet stove.

Thanks again all!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,199 times
I have no idea how large of a home SXM girl has, but we have a ranch house and our 1000 EdenPure heater heats our living room, kitchen, hall, and 4 bedroom home fine, and our furnace NEVER runs during the day. We use it all day long even during below zero weather.

We use LP fuel during the night, and our electrical bill has only gone up around $20 a month is all (and using it that much during the day that isn't much), our heating bill however has gone down around $50/month, so as you can see we've saved a lot. Plus we use it at my parents trailer constantly and never have to run the furnace up there, so we save everything up there on heating, paying very little for electricity, because that is included.

We have a large ranch house, and the house stays at a constant 68 degrees in the winter which is plenty warm enough for our family of 4. I hope this helps, of course if you want your temperature pushed up above 70 or so. This is a very efficient, low maintenance, and extremely safe heater and are extremely happy with it, and since we've bought ours, my brother, sister, parents, and quite a few friends have purchased them and been very happy with theirs, also.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,915 times
Default EdenPure

This unit is a piece of over-rated over-priced and under performing Asian Junk DO NOT BUY.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmclean View Post
This unit is a piece of over-rated over-priced and under performing Asian Junk DO NOT BUY.
I didn't~~ thanks for every one that responded to my post! Too many hit and miss customer reviews all over the Internet and locally for me to take a chance on it.

Found most people that highly praised it was in the first year usage then down hill from there mostly.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,831 times
I bought an Edenpure1000 and was so impressed I now only heat my house with them. I now own 2 - my house is 1600 sq ft and has a lot of walls. I set 1 in family room and 1 in LR - opposite endsa of house. They keep us at 68-70. My gas heat bill had been $500 these are costing me about $150. It has been 3 years since I shut the gas off and I have never regretted it. I live in northern Michigan.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 AM

668 posts, read 1,934,010 times
I have had infrared heaters, and disc furnaces and Wire heaters and oil filled heaters and I have to tell you that the disc furnace is the way to go in my opinion.

Infrared only heats up, what is showing. Like a fireplace, you have to keep turning around to get completely warm!

Disc furnaces, (be it pelonis or any other brand), will heat a room up and it wont ever catch fire!

Wire heaters is a fire hazard, as you have tungsten wires strung from ceramic holders to ceramic holders and anything that comes into contact with the wires will flame up!

Oil filled heaters, simply dont throw enough heat out for me. Sure, they will take a long time to cool down, and stays hot longer and better, but, no matter what you use, the electric is gonna cost you outrageously when you start using any of these heaters on a regular basis. Especially if what you say is true and your house leaks like a sieve!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products