Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting at my dining table with my laptop and I feel this cold draft coming from the windows behind me. I live in a new construction so I guess this draft couldn't be helped. I read up on this styrofoam door draft stopper and the reviews were less than stellar. One reviewer even suggested that I just fill up old nylons with rice, tie up the ends and put them on the windows. I know there are several versions for doors but I'm looking for some specifically for windows. I would take suggestions as well on how to make them as I'm pretty handy with sewing. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Uhhhhhhhhh, we have a manufactured home and NO - absolutely NO - drafts. I'd say you have shoddy construction or single pane glass. I'd be ripping the construction company a new opening, if you catch my drift.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you can sew, just make some air blockers (like the ones being advertised for doors!) You can buy foam at any hardware or craft store. Sew a "channel to fit the foam into, and stick it on both side of a piece of heavy-duty material. Open the window, stick the thing in the bottom, and close the window! That should help!
There are also some caulks that aren't "permanent"---that you can use in the wintertime.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
There's something very wrong if you have a new home, and it's drafty.

That said, I live in a big 2-story brick home, that was built in 1929. It has all the original windows, which are in very good condition. Also, every window has a combo storm window.

But every winter, I go to Lowes/Menards/Home Depot and get several tubes of removable caulk. It goes on almost exactly like clear silicone caulk, and is removable in the spring. It's about $5.00 per tube and I seal up about 4-5 windows with each tube.

It makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in our comfort level, not to mention the savings in heating dollars.

DAP Products - Caulks and Sealants - DAP® SEAL 'N PEEL® Removable Caulk

Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Great suggestions everyone. Thanks! Well, y'know, these new constructions...I live in the south and the windows don't come with storms. They are double-paned however to keep out the cold, but even when completely down and locked, I can feel some draft coming in. Maybe it has something to do with it being those tilt-down ones. I have rolled some old towels and put them on the base of the windows, the ones right behind me in the dining room, and I have noticed a big improvement. I'll check into the caulking thing, although, we'd sometimes get an unseasonanal 70 degrees in January which will make us open windows, and therefore break that seal. I just wish weather down here was more stable but it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products