Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-Mart or Target
Wal-Mart 62 28.70%
Target 154 71.30%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not to mention, that, much as I love Target and prefer many of their stores/home decor and clothing items, returning anything can be a PITA.....Lost receipt - so sorry SOL.....on your non-Target VISA nope won't look it up. Wal mart - no problem.
I've had no issue w/ returning items to Target w/o a receipt. I just returned a $70 pair of headphones that I bought w/ a non-Target card in April and there was no hassle at all. just handed them my bank card and they found the transaction in seconds. my local Walmart doesn't have the lookup technology Target has so you need a receipt

I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, but items at my local Target are never that much expensive than at Walmart. I just moved and had to buy a lot of household stuff and in any situations when Target was more expensive, it was only more expensive by a $1 or $2 MAX. not $20 as some are claiming. the toaster I bought was on sale at Target, but the regular price was only about $.50 more expensive than the exact same model at Walmart. in fact, after much back and forth, I didn't find there to be that much of a difference in prices between many non food items. a lot of the kitchen stuff were similarly priced and cleaning products weren't that much cheaper (though I prefer Method products and it didn't look like my Walmart carries that line).

yes, food at Walmart is cheaper, though I'm a fan of Target's Archer Farms products. but in the end, for me, my local Walmarts sucks too much to even consider shopping there too often. evne if something is $2 more at Target, I'll gladly pay that extra $2 if it means not having to deal w/ shopping at that Walmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Wow - maybe it is a regional (or even local store thing)....We have had a lot of trouble returning items to our Target. Now, honestly, it got to be such a hassle that I havent' even tried it in several years. My neighbor tried to return a pair of bedroom slippers that she had received as a gift. The slippers had an uncomfortable lump underneath one toe. This is the same brand she had been buying for years so her DH did not keep the reciept, believing that all would be fine. Target refused to return them or even do an even exchange for what I would consider a "defective" item. I had similar experiences. Really really left a bad taste in my mouth. And I say this as someone who generally loves Target. I really like their home decor and clothing - stuff I wouldn't ever buy at Walmart. Our Target and Walmart are both fairly new and clean. Not to mention right next to each other....

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM

551 posts, read 855,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not to mention, that, much as I love Target and prefer many of their stores/home decor and clothing items, returning anything can be a PITA.....Lost receipt - so sorry SOL.....on your non-Target VISA nope won't look it up. Wal mart - no problem.
Huh??

Returns at Target are waayyy easier than at Walmart. At Walmart, the return line is almost always longer, and it always seems like the "soup Nazi" is behind the desk.

At Target I never wait long, they always use my AmEx card or Bank of America Visa Debit card to look up the items. Heck, I never even keep receipts anymore on small items from Target.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
but..........what if you didn't purchase it? If it's a gift, no receipt.........

I would rather stand in a long line at WalMart and be able to return an item then not have to stand in line at Target to be told it can't be returned.

Common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmg1 View Post
Huh??

Returns at Target are waayyy easier than at Walmart. At Walmart, the return line is almost always longer, and it always seems like the "soup Nazi" is behind the desk.

At Target I never wait long, they always use my AmEx card or Bank of America Visa Debit card to look up the items. Heck, I never even keep receipts anymore on small items from Target.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM

551 posts, read 855,582 times
Well, common sense will tell you that if this is not a gift and you have a reciept or used a CC, then Target is better IMO.

Target also gives out gift receipts.

If you have no receipt, then stand in line at Wal-mart.

Simple.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,388 times
Our Walmarts won't do returns without a receipt anymore.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I've NEVER had a problem returning things at Wal-Mart, receipt or not. And I've NEVER had a problem returning things at Target, either. I shop more at Wal-Mart, so I've returned things there more often, but overall, I've found the customer service at both retailers to be roughly equal. Prices tend to be lower at Wal-Mart, but they aren't always lower. But overall, I save money shopping at Wal-Mart. I also get a better selection of goods at Wal-Mart compared to small local retailers. But if a local store has something I want, I buy it from them. Local stores can't compete with Wal-Mart product to product, price to price, but they can individuate themselves, so that they aren't competing with Wal-Mart, they are offering something different. As a consumer, price is a primary consideration, but buying something distinctive is also a consideration.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:43 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
WTF is a "lier"?????

A friend used to work for a printer who made the labels for products (like Hidden Valley Ranch, only one example. It also included small appliances/electronics. The specs on those were slightly different). The "other" store labels had more ingredients than the Walmart labels.
Well, all you have to do is come up with some credible proof that this happens.

Or

Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Well, all you have to do is come up with some credible proof that this happens.

Or
Why so upset that Walmart sells subpar products?

And I have to say, I've been reading cd forums for a while. Usually everyone seems so friendly. I've really been stunned and, well, not pleased with the nasty comments I've received about this. I've been really trying to bite my tongue (hold my fingers?) and not say some of the things that have been going through my head. Wow. I am amazed by how rude some of you are. And surprise, surprise, it's from the Walmart fans. Which, right there, is one reason I don't shop at Walmart. The people who do are often RUDE.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Absolutely, Can't rep you again Freddy, or I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products