Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

I am posting this thread here, but I am unsure if it belongs anywhere else, so if it does, mod just move it please! Thanks.

There is an article on Yahoo today on the "10 Workers to Tip This Season", 10 Workers to Tip This Season (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-10_workers_to_tip_this_season-599 - broken link)

As a server I live off my "tips", as do many others in the service industry. The article states that a servers base pay is $4.60 an hour. Here in Texas, its $2.13. I find that during the holiday season most people tend to leave more than what is expected, although some leave 10% or below. During the rest of the year 15-18% is the normal.
Most people don't realize that the IRS keeps track of a servers sales, therefore we have to pay tax on what we sell, and must declare 100% of our tips, although if we are audited by the IRS, they can get us for anything over 8% of our sales. So, if you and your family come dine in my restaurant and your bill is $45.00, you should leave anywhere from $6.75-$9. If you leave anything less, basically the server is eating that and makes NOTHING! Our base pay is set up to pay taxes ONLY.....we DEPEND on the TIPS.
Myself, I am one of those that does what the IRS requires and claims 100% of what I make, simply because I average over 15% of my sales in TAKE HOME. Usually my paycheck is $0.
I would like to hear everyone's input on this on what you usually leave a server! Here are some questions to answer, also add your own!

What do you leave your server? (percentage wise)
Are you aware of the IRS tracking a servers sales, and the tax they must pay?
If you are a fellow server, what is the base pay in your area?
What people generally leave the best and worst tips overall?
Would you support a 15-18% service charge on your bill in order to not have to worry about what tip to leave?

Lets see where this goes.......Be Nice!!!!

Last edited by Bo; 12-09-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Holidays or not, I typically tip food servers 18% for good service, depending on how much they do. If I bug them a lot or ask for something special I have tipped as high as 25% or more depending on the request, as I am aware that the Federal wage for tipped people is still a very low $2.11 per hour (and most places pay that minimum). At Xmas time I might add a couple of dollars to it if they're real personable and helpful. Poor service generally gets around 10%. I think I only had two times in my whole life where I had service so horrible I didn't leave anything.

In my area mail carriers change a lot or alternate, so I can't tip them, but if my favorite one is catchable around Xmas, I give him lottery tickets in a card. I get my hair cut at Great Clips and they also have a turnover, so typically I tip $3 on a $15 haircut. Nothing really more at Xmas time though there. I don't travel much, so baggage handlers and hotel employees aren't really regularly tipped people for me, but I think the old "$2 per bag" rule still applies.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM

atlantagreg, I have noticed this year, that I am making about $75-$100 LESS a week. I think the economy might have something to do with it. Location might have alot to do with how people tip as well. In bigger cities (Dallas, Houston, etc) folks tend to tip more than smaller cities like Waco (where I am).
I used to tip my stylist too, but now I dont have to......Shes my roommate!!

Last edited by TXTwizter; 12-09-2008 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,174 times
I hate when I go to PICK UP food (not have it delivered) and they expect a tip!! thats just dumb!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
I hate when I go to PICK UP food (not have it delivered) and they expect a tip!! thats just dumb!
I agree and disagree. Most of the time the person doing "to-gos", is a bartender or server making the low base pay, which if I order from one of then I generally tip a buck or two. OTOH, some places have a TOGO person, who makes somewhat more hourly than a server or bartender. In good faith just start leaving a dollar. Look at it this way, if you had that same food delivered they would add on a service charge and then you also would tip, meaning, you might even pay more!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,174 times
Im not talking about the to go person at say the Outback, who actually has to put in the order, put it together, bag it up and bring it out to your car... im talking ordering chinese food and the person up front only had to walk 10 feet and grab the food....

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Im not talking about the to go person at say the Outback, who actually has to put in the order, put it together, bag it up and bring it out to your car... im talking ordering chinese food and the person up front only had to walk 10 feet and grab the food....
Ok now I see what you were saying.....in that case its kind of a gray area. Most of the time I still leave a dollar.
I even tip the car hops at Sonic! Working in this industry for the last 20 years, I have developed a complex to where if I don't leave something, I believe it'll come back to haunt me later...ie KARMA!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I hate when I go to a counter, place my order, and stand by the counter and wait for my food. I will never add a tip for that, despite the jars begging for it and the credit card recipt that asks for it.

I hate the servers who lecture me about leaving a good tip. If you earn your tip, I will tip very well, up to 25%. If you give me crummy service, I don't leave a good tip. I don't care if you live of that or not, I will NEVER reward a service worker for terible service. If my total is 20 dollars, and you never once refill my drink or I wait 10 minutes for my box, and look annoyed when I remind you I want the box, you get 10% max. I don't care if you are dealing with multiple people and my box or drink is not a priority. If you are nice, I let it slide; but if you roll your eyes, your tip is gone. I am usually very, very patient with servers as I know they are busy; but being busy is no excuse for poor service, and your tip will suffer.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM

200 posts, read 979,581 times
I am not hard to please.

I can see why my drinks might take a couple minute to refill if the place is really busy, I will let go the wrong side on my order if you fix it, I like an occasional "how are we doing here, need anything else." Other than that, I like to be left to my food and my company. I always leave 20-30%.

I can't stand the ones that act like what I ask is an inconvenience to them or I should pay them to get anything done for me. During these times I leave them 5% or a penny, depending on how horrible service is. I had waitresses who rolled their eyes when my girlfriend asked for a side or ranch on the side and to please keep the pasta and sauce on two different plates.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
I think I'll give my aunt Betty a Tip at Christmas this year. I'll let her know Christmas sweaters with huge ironed on graphics and jingle bells are less than flattering on her offensive linemen sized figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products