U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 PM

2,288 posts, read 4,799,183 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to post this topic, but lately I've been thinking about how frustrated I'm becoming with all the "upselling" going on every time I simply want to make a purchase. Coffee shops now regularly ask me if I want a "scrumptious oatmeal cookie" to go with my coffee: my answer. NO. I just want the coffee, thank you. Waitstaff in restaurants constantly ask if I want wine or soda pop with my meal: my answer. NO. As I said, I just want water with the meal, thank you.

I had my tires rotated last weekend, and the shop tried to sell me an alignment (I have a new car with less than 10,000 miles on it and NO issues related to alignment--no signs of wear on the tires, no pulling, etc). Just rotate the tires, thank you. It's really getting obnoxious, and it seems that everywhere one turns, someone is trying to sell you more than you want. Don't even talk about those "speedy" oil change places. They try to sell you a laundry list of things you don't need at outrageous prices while you wait. NO, thank you. I only want the oil changed. I know the economy is bad, but these places are driving people away. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,986,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Coffee shops now regularly ask me if I want a "scrumptious oatmeal cookie" to go with my coffee
Ask them what the special deal is on the oatmeal cookie. When they figure out what you mean, and they tell you that there isn't a special on the product, ask them what is on special. Do this a couple times and they'll get the message.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 AM

948 posts, read 3,440,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm not sure where to post this topic, but lately I've been thinking about how frustrated I'm becoming with all the "upselling" going on every time I simply want to make a purchase. Coffee shops now regularly ask me if I want a "scrumptious oatmeal cookie" to go with my coffee: my answer. NO. I just want the coffee, thank you. Waitstaff in restaurants constantly ask if I want wine or soda pop with my meal: my answer. NO. As I said, I just want water with the meal, thank you.

I had my tires rotated last weekend, and the shop tried to sell me an alignment (I have a new car with less than 10,000 miles on it and NO issues related to alignment--no signs of wear on the tires, no pulling, etc). Just rotate the tires, thank you. It's really getting obnoxious, and it seems that everywhere one turns, someone is trying to sell you more than you want. Don't even talk about those "speedy" oil change places. They try to sell you a laundry list of things you don't need at outrageous prices while you wait. NO, thank you. I only want the oil changed. I know the economy is bad, but these places are driving people away. Any thoughts?

Ok, let me explain something for you. If you don't want people to sell to you, you need to make your purchases online. It is a retail persons job to sell to you. I work retail and my review is based on how well I up-sell. If It was me I would prefer not even talk to many customer at all but I have to but on a face. Like it or not.
Up-selling is money making. That may drive a few people away but most of the time it pays off. Big time.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,611,373 times
It is annoying, but, it goes along with shopping. Just say no thanks!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Don't stress over it - life's too short to worry about such insignificant things.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 AM

947 posts, read 3,036,802 times
YES, it is so annoying!
They have to do that or their job is on the line, trust me, I have to do it for my job but if certain people are not around to hear me with the custmoer then i tame it down. I really really hate doing it. I don't have much and since as we know the economy is the way it is then lots of others have less now too. Ugh!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,285,938 times
Yes, I get yelled at if I don't do it.

Believe me, I would rather not have to do it. I'm the same way, when i'm buying something, well, THAT'S WHAT I'M BUYING AND I DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE.

It sucks and believe me a lot of us workers don't thrive on being annoying and asking you what else we can get for you. We don't want to do it either, there's just not a choice in the matter.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,250,553 times
I just typically say No Thanks and hopefully they'll give up.
When I worked at the movies, it was part of my job to try upsell people.
As a previous poster said, if it annoys you that much, just shop online.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,593,531 times
I have a friend that takes those 1-800 phone calls. Upselling is part of the script and she is required to read the entire script.. I get annoyed at the post office with the script that have to go through.. It would save SO much time if they didn't have to do that.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,812,212 times
That's how they make their money. Just say no thanks
Laura, they do that at the post office? Never had that happen there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products