U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,010,458 times

Advertisements

The problem is a lack of good products.

I have a gift card for $150 to a well-known department store. I spent hours there yesterday trying clothes on. I left with one article of clothing - a shirt. That's it! Everything else was so ugly, or it didn't fit right, or the color turned out to be wrong, or there were too many ruffles and bows. I was really looking forward to doing some major shopping, only to come up mostly empty handed.

I don't think I'm that picky! I just want clothes that fit and look good on me.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of frustration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM

534 posts, read 1,388,347 times
You aren't picky. Clothes are UGLY! This is why I stick to jeans, sweatshirts, t-shirts. I have some "normal" looking cable sweaters that I was lucky to find last year on sale.

I lost a ton of weight a few years ago. I couldn't wait to get new clothes. How sad I was that the things I loved when I couldn't fit into them, were no longer "in style" and the ugliness began.

I'm so glad I work at home and don't have to worry about finding work clothes. There is nothing out there that I find attractive..

Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
I look at the clothes today and wonder what they are thinking! Everything is cheaply made but carry a large price tag or just downright UGLY.

I can go in a clothing store and walk out empty handed without batting a eye.. But let me go into a used clothing store and I walk out with a bag full!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Clothes have gotten worse and worse. Try shopping for furniture and accessories- hideous. What are these designers thinking?

It's sad that things are so ugly. Look around at people when you go shopping. Most people are wearing jeans and tops that are solid colors. So who is wearing all this crap that is in stores?

Designers need to get a clue. And the saddest part is that many people will be brainwashed into thinking this is the "in style" and they will buy it.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,302,312 times
Unfortunately I'm on the heavy side (1-2X). I find 1X too snug but 2X too baggy or boxy. And I don't know why designers like loud colors or huge prints for plus-size women. They only make us look bigger. I would like to find clothes in basic colors (dark red, blue, green, etc.) or pastels & with smaller or less-cluttered prints. Oh, and forget the shades of brown or khaki also - it makes us look like we're wearing tents.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,010,458 times
I found a lot of shirts with horizontal stripes, which of course, add to your perceived width.

Then there was the nice pink shirt I found, but it was in this awful material that clung to every curve. I'm overweight enough to feel self-conscious about it, so that shirt went into the discard pile as well.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,645,452 times
Yes, I can go to the malls and come out with nothing but I wouldn't buy something because I have a gift card. Shoe's are my biggest down-fall. I would buy a pair at every store

Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM

403 posts, read 1,362,675 times
Prices are a huge issue. If you find a cute pair of jeans at the mall... they are AT LEAST $60...

Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,067,287 times
Paper thin material, and what in the world is this new trend of expensive, read over $100.00, boots that are not even leather? Looking for a coat now, what happened to real wool? Poly blends, cheap thin fabrics, even at the higher end places. The clothes at mid level retailers look the same as clothes from the discounters!!!

I used to like the thrifts because of the quality of the clothes for the most part. But now the thrifts are getting waaay yucky. Or perhaps my perspective has changed, I feel sort of bad in the thrift stores, not exactly the most pleasant shopping experience.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 694,068 times
I desparately need new shoes, but I haven't bought any (other than walking shoes) in over 2 years because I hate the styles that are "in" today. I'm a guy, and it seems like my only choices now are either those ugly bowling shoes (flat w/ stripes, etc...), or else shoes that have no laces and square toes (sorry... square toed shoes look unnatural and ridiculous.

I had some great shoes made by a company called Stone Ridge that I bought about 7-8 years ago, when the style at the time was similar to Dr. Marten's(thick heel, sturdy looking shoe with stitching). I can't find the Stone Ridge brand anywhere now... even online. They must have gone out of business. Dr. Martens are the only company that still makes that style of shoe, but I've never liked them because of the clashing yellow stitching they use and the ugly clear soles.

So... I have cash in hand and am willing to spend good money, but there is nothing out there that I'm interested in buying. I figure I've got about 3 more months of life left in my shoes. I'll have to go barefoot after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products