U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 PM

119 posts, read 242,034 times
Default Can you make some serious cash delivering pizzas?

I listen to financial adviser Dave Ramsey and he recommends delivering pizza as an extra job to make some more money on the side. He says you can make $1500 a month pretty easily just working a couple nights during the week and on the weekend. That's an extra $18,000 a year. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and if you can actually make that much money working part time. How do you get paid? Is it hourly + tips? Do you get to keep all the tips/pay tax on them? What happens if the place is slow, do you just stand around waiting or do you have to make pizzas and work the register as well? I've got a gps so I could just plug in the delivery address and put on some tunes. Seems like a pretty easy job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM

21,680 posts, read 37,010,844 times
I havent seen any pizza drivers wearing Armani and most driving a car that appears to be on it last leg or the size of a skateboard

Im going to say probably not especially when gas and it will go above 3 dollar a gallon soon.
All your profits are eaten up filling the car, wear and tear on the car.
I saw a few months ago a pizza company was offering 15 bucks a hour but gas was 4.10 a gallon at the time. Gas was the driver responsibility then that 15 bucks didnt look so grand.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 3 days ago)

3,444 posts, read 3,852,146 times
Of course you set yourself up for the classic:

"Know how to get the State grad off your front porch?"

"Yeah, pay him for the pizza."

That would dissuade me, but moreso, you really need to consider the risks. You are walking up to strange house, in strange area and walking off with cash.

Additionally make sure your car insurance will cover you while at work. I doubt it, and so you probably will need additional insurance

If I could get day job, and choose my deliveries, I might consider, but that ain't gonna happen. Good Luck and be safe.

lln

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,488,734 times
Default reply

doubtful

Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,129,592 times
In college, I knew guys that held pizza deliver driver positions at Papa John's part time. They said it was good money due to the tips. It paid better than I made at the time working a register in a grocery store. However, it was late hours; into the wee hours. It was a college town; so there really wasn't a slow night.

It's not a position that you can hold full time and expect to make a living wage. However, it is a good option for a part time job.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 PM

207 posts, read 401,970 times
Like LLN said...I'd be nervous to try it - you are walking to a strange house, getting money, you could be accused of embezzlement or could lose the money or more seriously, be injured by having it stolen. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM

7,193 posts, read 13,577,438 times
Personally I think you'd make more money waiting tables in a nice restaurant on the weekends than delivering pizza. DH and I ate at Maximillian's in Cary one night and just a 20% tip was about $25.00 and it was just the two of us eating moderatley priced meals and one bottle of wine. We figured that if the waiter had 2 tables an hour over 4 hours, he would have walked away with $150.00 in tips just for that one night.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,129,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Personally I think you'd make more money waiting tables in a nice restaurant on the weekends than delivering pizza. DH and I ate at Maximillian's in Cary one night and just a 20% tip was about $25.00 and it was just the two of us eating moderatley priced meals and one bottle of wine. We figured that if the waiter had 2 tables an hour over 4 hours, he would have walked away with $150.00 in tips just for that one night. That's $1800 (pretax) for one night of work!
Don't forget to tip out the bus boy, hostess, and whoever else...

Some places require you to pool tips as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM

7,193 posts, read 13,577,438 times
Even if post tax and tip outs cost approx $50.00 a night, that's still $5200 a year for one night. I used to make that much a night working in Golden Corral in college! If you worked two nights or had larger tables than a two top with more alcohol involved, you'd make even more.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,082,714 times
I had a roommate when Wilmington who made an average of $20/hr. She was delivering pricier "gourmet" pizzas though. If you could find a place that delivers in a primarily high end area I would go for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products