U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,880,265 times

Advertisements

My husband and I love to haggle. Sometimes people look at us like we're the cheapest people on the planet (but we don't care because we've saved 10's of thousands of dollars by doing so) and others (especially people from different countries) are more in tune with it. It's better than coupons. Anyone have any haggling stories? Do you think that Americans don't like to haggle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 PM

127 posts, read 335,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
My husband and I love to haggle. Sometimes people look at us like we're the cheapest people on the planet (but we don't care because we've saved 10's of thousands of dollars by doing so) and others (especially people from different countries) are more in tune with it. It's better than coupons. Anyone have any haggling stories? Do you think that Americans don't like to haggle?

"the cheapest people on the planet" .... no, as a matter of public record, that's me.

You bet, I love haggling. And not just to save some money, but I find that it makes the shopping experiece a little more personal, more enjoyable. I ask for a "nice guy discount" on most things I buy: That's a discount based solely on the fact that I'm a "nice guy." And, you know what, many times I get something knocked off the price because of it.

If you're interested, I just wrote an article in the current issue of the AARP Magazine about haggling on a wide range of things - medical expenses, to magazine subscriptions, to groceries. Check it out if you get a chance (most libraries carry it).

Old 01-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
"the cheapest people on the planet" .... no, as a matter of public record, that's me.

You bet, I love haggling. And not just to save some money, but I find that it makes the shopping experiece a little more personal, more enjoyable. I ask for a "nice guy discount" on most things I buy: That's a discount based solely on the fact that I'm a "nice guy." And, you know what, many times I get something knocked off the price because of it.

If you're interested, I just wrote an article in the current issue of the AARP Magazine about haggling on a wide range of things - medical expenses, to magazine subscriptions, to groceries. Check it out if you get a chance (most libraries carry it).
You haggle over groceries! You're my hero. I've only done that once. My husband just bought a $500 watch that was on sale for $375 (cheapest internet price was $350 and he walked out the door with it for $250 after haggling (granted we are aware the mark up is high so we ask for more). We'll ask for 10-20% off usually for things like home improvement work. I like the "nice guy discount" technique.

My favorite thing to grind people over... cars. Ever since my first car purchase when I was a teenager (I was scammed) I've made it my mission to grind car dealerships the hardest. I plot dealers against each other, make them give me more for trade in, and we take several days of negotiation where I'm sure they are cussing us out under their breath when we're done. Other than that, I like to haggle to the point where all parties involve walk away satisfied.

Do you have a link to your article?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You haggle over groceries! You're my hero. I've only done that once. My husband just bought a $500 watch that was on sale for $375 (cheapest internet price was $350 and he walked out the door with it for $250 after haggling (granted we are aware the mark up is high so we ask for more). We'll ask for 10-20% off usually for things like home improvement work. I like the "nice guy discount" technique.

My favorite thing to grind people over... cars. Ever since my first car purchase when I was a teenager (I was scammed) I've made it my mission to grind car dealerships the hardest. I plot dealers against each other, make them give me more for trade in, and we take several days of negotiation where I'm sure they are cussing us out under their breath when we're done. Other than that, I like to haggle to the point where all parties involve walk away satisfied.

Do you have a link to your article?
mommabear2 - I think I'm in love! Alas, we're apparently both happily married (although my wife might dispute that claim). My wife, the pooooor thing .... we've been married 25 years, or, as she says, "almost three wonderful years"

Unfortunately I don't think my article is accessible via the AARP website (you can only read some of the magazine's content on line). It's titled "Pay Less for Anything" if you stumble across a copy of the magazine (Gelnn Close is on the cover). Stay Cheap!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:15 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,991,057 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think my article is accessible via the AARP website (you can only read some of the magazine's content on line). It's titled "Pay Less for Anything" if you stumble across a copy of the magazine (Gelnn Close is on the cover). Stay Cheap!
It's on there. I have to take you to task on one thing though, jeff. You forgot to mention that it's poor etiquette to attempt to haggle over groceries at the checkout line. Fortunately, i've only had one experience with some old coot in front of me trying to get a discount on a dented can, and one other elderly who wanted the special sale price that had expired 7 hours prior to her arrival. That little charade provoked my nastiest dissing of someone in a public place, lol.
It's 7 a.m., i need something quickly and urgently, i'm on my way to work(and running behind), i've had no coffee, and she wants the damned $.30 off sale price from yesterday!!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
mommabear2 - I think I'm in love! Alas, we're apparently both happily married (although my wife might dispute that claim). My wife, the pooooor thing .... we've been married 25 years, or, as she says, "almost three wonderful years"

I think haggling is a great skill if not an art form. If you go to certain countries it's expected that you haggle (it's almost as if they don't respect you if you don't). Although, it's no fun negotiating with people who don't know what they are doing (especially for big items like houses).

My funniest experience was when a Korean lady was trying to buy something from us and her first response at the price was, "too much! Too much! Your killing me! You're killing me!" That was her technique but it worked.

I'll check out your article - glad to know that there's some price grinders out there!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's on there. I have to take you to task on one thing though, jeff. You forgot to mention that it's poor etiquette to attempt to haggle over groceries at the checkout line. Fortunately, i've only had one experience with some old coot in front of me trying to get a discount on a dented can, and one other elderly who wanted the special sale price that had expired 7 hours prior to her arrival. That little charade provoked my nastiest dissing of someone in a public place, lol.
It's 7 a.m., i need something quickly and urgently, i'm on my way to work(and running behind), i've had no coffee, and she wants the damned $.30 off sale price from yesterday!!!!
Point well taken. I would never inconvenience other people like that ... although I'm frequently described as an "old coot".

Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,590,969 times
Quote:
I think haggling is a great skill if not an art form. If you go to certain countries it's expected that you haggle (it's almost as if they don't respect you if you don't). Although, it's no fun negotiating with people who don't know what they are doing (especially for big items like houses).

My funniest experience was when a Korean lady was trying to buy something from us and her first response at the price was, "too much! Too much! Your killing me! You're killing me!" That was her technique but it worked.

I'll check out your article - glad to know that there's some price grinders out there!
Well, I gotta say, it's part of the reason why some businesses are successful and some are not. Certain people know how to do this well. As far as your Korean lady story, I think this style is not uncommon among Asian people, but if it is said in the right way it can work well.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Well, I gotta say, it's part of the reason why some businesses are successful and some are not. Certain people know how to do this well. As far as your Korean lady story, I think this style is not uncommon among Asian people, but if it is said in the right way it can work well.
That's true. I tried to buy a 5 piece table (floor model) and they didn't even want to consider my offer. First offer - "$50 off the rug and $100 off the table w/ no delivery fee and you have a deal" - they said no (with not even a counter offer) so I walked. Now they get $0 and they've lost a customer for life. Shoot, they could have at least tried... I'd respect them more if they did.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,572,027 times
I don't enjoy conflict but I will be more diplomatic when it comes to leveraging a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products