U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM

17,110 posts, read 12,422,778 times

Advertisements

I'm curious at to just what would make a warehouse store yuppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM

12,150 posts, read 10,767,232 times
I have memberships in both Costco and Sam's. Sam's is closer to my home, but I prefer Costco, especially their customer service.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,498,750 times
I have memberships at both. Costco is closer to my house; however, Sam's Club carries the stuff for my business that Costco doesn't have in any of their clubs.

The gas at one Sam's Club is the cheapest in town compared to the gas at my local Costco. Both are good clubs.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM

7,861 posts, read 12,618,483 times
Costco has great free samples (not that I would ever stand on
line for anything like that.....) .

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
I also notice that like any shoppoig you have to be aware of waht the prices are at other stores. Many have higher price on ome product while lower on another. There hyas always been the draw marketing in this country.Sam's club has many itmes that are higher than the same item at Wal-mart.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:19 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,491,446 times
I noticed that a lot at Costco when we shopped there. Chicken breasts, for example, routinely go on sale for 2 bucks a pound - at Costco they were always $2.69. Soda is another example - always on sale somewhere for less than the Costco price.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 PM

12,126 posts, read 14,246,211 times
I'm a Costco gal.

Don't like WalMart or Sam's and their policies... so they don't get my money.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 PM

9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I also notice that like any shoppoig you have to be aware of waht the prices are at other stores. Many have higher price on ome product while lower on another. There hyas always been the draw marketing in this country.Sam's club has many itmes that are higher than the same item at Wal-mart.
And Sam's Club is cheaper than Walmart on many items - gasoline, prescriptions, OTC medications ...

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,491,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And Sam's Club is cheaper than Walmart on many items - gasoline, prescriptions, OTC medications ...
Ostensibly, Sam's should be cheaper than Wal-Mart on every single item they sell, since you pay for the privilege of shopping there and have to buy large quantities. It's annoying to be paying for a membership and still have to comparison shop, and it would doubly annoy me to have to comparison shop between Sam's and its parent corporation.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,176,105 times
We have a Sam's & Costco near us, but we are die hard Costco shoppers.

Why?

- In General, While both offer good value I think Costco sells better merchandise. In car terms, Costco sells Buicks & Cadillacs while Sam's sells Chevy's.
- Costco seems less focussed on brands & brand names. They will sell an item from a lesser known brand if it offers quality at a better value then a category leader from a national brand. Sam's - in my limited experience with them - seems focussed on selling large sizes of mid-tier national brands at a low cost.
- Costco's Kirkland line has alot of outstanding products.
- Costco associates are the most engaged of any retail employees I interact with. Costco takes care of its employees, and it reflects in the way they deal with their shoppers. Employees seem happy or proud to work there and I've never gotten the rolling eyes, apathetic, don't-bother-me-I'm-working attitude so prevalent in front line employees at other retail and service employees now a days.
-Costco operates on a cost + 11% margin model that I trust. They make all there profit on membership dues, not reatil markup. I might be able to get a better deal on some items elsewhere, but if I don't have the time or inclination to do alot of research on a new product or category, I'll purchase an item from costco. It may not be the rock bottom cheapest, but it will be a good value & I know i'm not getting screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products