U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,232,305 times

Advertisements

I buy lots of stuff from amazon: shoes, clothes, toiletries. The returns are hassle free (just print the USPS label and stick it to box and leave it for the mailman) and the Free SUper Saver shipping is actually fast. I buy a lot of organic body products and food and they have really great prices. Their customer service via phone is also great. I have never had a problem getting a refund, cancelling etc. I LOVE amazon.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM

985 posts, read 2,381,340 times
I buy books and CD's, sometimes new and sometimes second hand, from Amazon.com. I've never had a problem, but I usually buy from sellers who have at least a 99% positive feedback.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,424,523 times
I had one bad experience with a seller in 10 years, and I still enjoy doing business with Amazon. Highly recommended.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,600,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmash View Post
there was a post on an amazon related forum where someone said that they got scammed by amazon:S i was actually shocked do u think its safe to buy from them?

funny if such a company started scamming
I buy about 60% from Amazon Proper and 40% from the Marketplace. I have found books for $0.20 or a HDMI cable for $0.99 on the marketplace. I basically look at the cost through Amazon and check the New/Used section to see if it is cheaper. I have had great luck buying Like New or Very good condition (especially books). When you think of it, when you buy from a book store, you are really buying like new unless it came in a wrapper (dozens of people have touched it or read it already).

AMAZON (PROPER)

Amazon itself is very reliable as a company to purchase from. In most cases, they even ship with a return label if you have a problem with the order. If it is over $25, they ship free.

AMAZON MARKETPLACE

These are sellers that can be established companies like "The Discovery Store" or an independent person (like me) or some 'power seller'. They have independent policies on returns. If you have questions about the product, there is a link to email the seller or call them directly (some have email correspondence, some have phone only correspondence).

Shipping costs are variable ($2.99 to $300+ if it is something large/heavy). "Free shipping" does not apply to orders > $25 USD. You may pay more for shipping than the cost of the item. Your shipping fee that you pay may be more than the 'postage' you see imprinted on your shipping label.

The Marketplace has an A-Z buying guarantee that really protects the consumer. A majority of marketplace sellers are very good about dealing with the buyer. A majority will contact you with every step of the 'refund' process. However, it is up to you to be aware of their 'return policies'. Some may even charge a restocking fee.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 PM

164 posts, read 477,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmash View Post
there was a post on an amazon related forum where someone said that they got scammed by amazon:S i was actually shocked do u think its safe to buy from them?

funny if such a company started scamming
The only problem I've ever had with Amazon was when I ordered some DVDs by the director Zhang Yimou (Chinese director). They were beautifully filmed movies I'd rented over 10 years earlier but were no longer carried by any local movie rental place. Achingly lovely. When I got the movies, they were of horrible quality. Looked like pirated films, unwatchable, so I was very surprised that Amazon would sell them.

I was going to return them, but had a bad leg injury before I could do so and forgot about it. I'm sure they would have taken it back if I had remembered to do it in time.

I didn't purchase another DVD from Amazon until several years later when I purchased a BBC movie series thru Amazon. Couldn't find the movie (Elizabeth I starring Glenda Jackson) anywhere else. This time it was fine.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 22,532,516 times
I did have one problem with Amazon. It was around Christmas time and I ordered books and a few exercise DVDs. The books arrived, the DVDs did not. Even though it showed they were in the box. Nope, not. I immediately let them know and they shipped them right away.
I have also ordered from the Marketplace sellers and always received things in a timely manner. I always order from those I've had good experience with, even if I have to pay a few bucks more for shipping.
It certainly beats paying for something and never getting it!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 AM

35,212 posts, read 34,475,586 times
I have always had excellent service if Amazon was the seller but I would never buy a used book from them as a third party for some other seller. In one instance, I never received the book. In another instance, I bought a hardcover and received a paperback. In another instance, the book (about an American tourist spot) arrived in a foreign language. In all instances, the books were sold through Amazon but not by Amazon. If Amazon is the actual seller, they are great. It's my favorite place to shop.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,600,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have always had excellent service if Amazon was the seller but I would never buy a used book from them as a third party for some other seller. In one instance, I never received the book. In another instance, I bought a hardcover and received a paperback. In another instance, the book (about an American tourist spot) arrived in a foreign language. In all instances, the books were sold through Amazon but not by Amazon. If Amazon is the actual seller, they are great. It's my favorite place to shop.
If you buy from the Marketplace and someone does not deliver on their agreement, you are protected by the A-Z Guarantee. Did you report it?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM

30 posts, read 134,628 times
I do all my shopping on Amazon, from food to socks....never had a problem.. that may just be a scam in a scam..

Amazon.com http://www.picturehoster.org/storage/461.jpg (broken link) Rocks!!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,471,862 times
I have shop with them for a long time;no problems at all.Bascially no tax and no shiiping if you can wait makes them worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products